Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

How to remove #latest from discussion links

websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

Hello. I have noticed all my discussion links end in #latest at the end of URL of discussion. Is there a way to remove #latest from the end of URL? Thank you.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... Moderator

There are a lot of discussions on this topic. Have a search on here.

Bottom line: why do you think you want to?

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Check out this post made by @hgtonight. Have a great day!

websfere
  • websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

@subdreamer Excellent. That worked. Thank you!
    @whu606 Aesthetically it looks better without #latest. Thanks

subdreamer

You realise that for the gain in perceived aesthetics, your users will no longer be taken to the last part of a discussion they had previously read, right?

websfere
  • websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

@whu606 Thanks for the information. I didn't know that.

• VV_YuriVV_Yuri Russia New
    1. I can not understand what should be the discussion link - so that I can publish it, for example, in facebook.
      In this way? discussion links end in #latest ?

2. How does Google index discussions with such links?

The link will work provided you have included the thread number:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687

edited February 2018

@whu606 написал:
    The link will work provided you have included the thread number:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687

User in the discussion sees in the browser line here such a link https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687/vanilla-2-5-is-now-available#latest
    Where should he look at another link?

Usually on the sites, the topic title is a link to the topic. But here the title is not a link.

I'm not sure I have understood your question.

The #latest part of the link takes users who have already read a thread to the last comment they viewed.

I was trying to show you that after the number, the text is non-critical. You can add or leave off #latest when you publish links, and in fact you can change the text entirely; Vanilla will still go to the discussion.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35687/Follow this link for further information

clicking that link will still bring you to this discussion.

edited February 2018

@whu606

I do not understand, where the user will find the link without "#latest" ?
    In other forums engines link appears if you click on the topic name. But here the topic name is not a link.

• @VV_Yuri said:
    @whu606

I do not understand, where the user will find the link without "#latest" ?
    In other forums engines link appears if you click on the topic name. But here the topic name is not a link.

You can simply use the link with #latest. It will work. If you think the link looks ugly with #latest, you just delete the letters from your url with backspace. Have you tried sharing links? You're overthinking things :P

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

The date you see at each posting is a link to the comment or the discussion.

edited February 2018

@Caylus написал:
    You can simply use the link with #latest. It will work. If you think the link looks ugly with #latest, you just delete the letters from your url with backspace. Have you tried sharing links? You're overthinking things :P

In our country, Vanilla is unknown as a forum engine. Users are accustomed to seeing more simple links. Users copy links from the topic name.
    Therefore, links to Vanilla can be incomprehensible to users. And I have to think about it))

edited February 2018

Which link should be canonical?

@VV_Yuri написал:
    2. How does Google index discussions with such links?