2020 OSS Roadmap plans
I did one of these ~6 months ago and I'd like to followup on it and give out some additional roadmap context.
How'd we stick to our previous roadmap
- Shipped new Embed System. (Documentation)
- Alt-text for images in Rich Editor.
- Emptied the Security Backlog (Over 300 security fixes since launching our HackerOne program!)
- Testing Pull Requests on CircleCI. (CircleCI)
- Improved automated testing - Code Coverage reporting & Visual regression testing.
- Refactored the text formatting pipeline (
Gdn_Formatis mostly deprecated. see
DateTimeFormatterfor new methods. )
- Splitting the frontend into different independant packages. (See
Still In Progress
- New Controllers & Routing. The new structure has matured significantly as we've worked on new projects, and documentation is forthcoming.
- Rich Editor mobile improvements.
- Builtin Docker Images - I was working on this personally and got burnt-out of it before I could get it polished enough for code review. Unfortunately I don't have much motivation for it. It looks like the community is starting to take it up though. I'm available for questions of anyone working on projects like this.
New Roadmap Objectives
Warning: These notes are not a guarantee of any particular version number or release date. It just represents some of our development goals.
Complete the 4.0 release
The 4.0 release is currently in progress. Main improvements will include:
- New Base Theme & New theming system.
- Hero Image plugin no longer a plugin. Instead it is built-in to core.
- 100s of bug-fixes
- Performance improvements.
- New PHP version requirements.
As we move our developer documentation over to it's new home in our Success Knowledge Base, we are updating outdated articles, adding new ones, and moving some new technical documentation from our internal documentation to become public.
Items that are set to receive new documentation:
I'll link the documentation here as it becomes available.
- New Controllers & Routing.
- Using Twig for Views.
- Using React for Views.
- Using the new Theming system.
- Using the new FormatService.
- Advanced custom embeds for Rich Editor.
- Improved local installation instructions.
- i18n & Localization.
- New Model Class & Pipelines.
- Dependency Injection.
As we write these we will primarily looking to provide "quickstart" guides with code examples. For for more technical understanding it's best to look at the key source code files, which will be linked at the bottom of documentation, where possible.