Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• Re: Docks... On my PC I use RocketDock. Love it. http://www.punksoftware.com/rocketdock
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    I really really want to start a thread called "The official I hate the "The official I hate PCs discussion" discussion... but I haven't yet... :)
  • edited November 2006
    Chill Dinoboff,
    The first thing that comes to mind about Algebra's comments is "he should learn to use his Mac or dump it and stick with his Dell."
    About yours? I think you are unnecessarily worked up so "full of sh*t" comes to mind but I won't say that on account of the fact that you'd be "offended".

As for "overheating issues" and such, hmmm, why do we continually dig a big hole about specifics and make them "it" as far as the discussion goes?

PC minded lemmings (if you fit the label it's you, otherwise chill) are mostly small-minded and piddly thinking, that's why metaphors fall flat on them.

If somehow, the Mac platform disappeared off the face of the planet tomorrow, the Mac mentality would live on. It's not about the hardware or software per se, it's about the thinking, the attitude, the "something bigger than multi-million dollar profits". Did you miss dan39's excellent 2-part post? Or did you simply ignore it because he was spot-on?

If it wasn't for the Mac mentality PC users would still be struggling with green text on black screens and poking the arrow-keys to navigate and the only games you'd have would be Pong and maybe Breakout. And sure Windows copied the interface but mentally PC thinkers are all still on green screens with a piddly flashing block cursor and arrow keys (inline not even the inverted T!).

Grow up? Why not just grow? Stand back and take a look at the coral you've been penned into, open your horizons, stop being such a sheep, jump the fence or crawl under it but get out and look at what's out there. If you don't like it you can always crawl back I suppose.

If you (any individual) want this discussion closed, please send Mark a Whisper, I'll abide happily by his decision.

Later: (To help Mark with his decision)
    Vote here
  • Nah, I don't want it closed, and it should not be closed. It keeps this rubbish (or attempts to) from pouring over into other discussions. But it should however, be sinked.
  • lol. I just don't want to give some people the wrong idea when they come to the community, specially for the first time. And since it says "official" when it is really not, I don't want it to taint Lussumo. So keep it, but sink it from constantly staying on top.
  • "taint" Lussumo?

Freedom of expression taints?

More negative mentality, sigh.

If people were not interested, it would not be "...staying on top..."
  • Well, I used to be a huge PC gamer and hardcore PC user and Mac basher.

Now, I do a lot more than game, and took a gamble with a PowerBook purchase. Though it was slower than my PC I quickly found myself spending all my time in OS X, I just find the tools better. Though initially I didn't really "get" the Mac, now I do and I cannot go back to Windows. I literally want to kill myself every time :)

About a year later, Intel iMacs hit, and I snag one... never to look back to the days of building my own PC etc. Its just not worth it to me anymore. Macs let me get my work done faster and more efficiently, and yeah I can still get my game on (I'm really hardcore about some, many open source that hit Mac)

Vista sure as hell won't get me back either.
  • I am not much of a Mac fan, but I am even less (much) of Windows fan. I wish the Mac OS would be distributed so it could work on any machine and not just the ones they make. Linux is becoming very impresive, it has always been the ideal soloution for security, and now with Ubuntu it adds a big dose of stablity to the platform.
  • A side from building and selling PCs with windows I find that Apple pushes its way to the front by doing things different. One thing that never changes with Windows is that it never works as advertised, yes it may run smoothly for months at a time and then it stops doing something that you need it to do and you may not get the blue screen you now just get a memory error or some garbage like that. The most annoying thing is when a program stops working and you have to use the famous CTRL-ALT-DEL to force it to quit using the task manager then the computer just freezes now you have to hit the power button and hope that the computer will boot back up and wait for the Windows to do a scan disk, it has been like this since Win 3.1. They say XP isn't based off of DOS but then why even have a feature where you can back door in to a system with DOS and have, doskey, and drwatson that were all DOS 6.X and up. These are tools that no one uses and are buried deep with-in the system folders. For some reason I don't think that Vista is going to be any better at dealing with the same old problems that always seem to pop up like memory useage, disk caching, overall layout of things, having to uninstall things oh boy that is a chore cleaning up the bits and pieces that stay around. Fundimentaly I don't understand that hate for Macs, is it that the Mac people are happy go lucky for the most part. I'd say partly yes I know I've spent many of hrs formatting my hard drive and having to install XP then down load the updates for all my video card, sound card and what ever else I have installed on my computer and boy when it is all said in done I've wasted at least 1 full day and partly the next day as well. I can't say the same for Macs I've never had any troubles with any of mine, 1 being a iMac, and the other being a Mac Book Pro. My Wintel laptop gives me more problems in the 6 months I've had it I had to format and reinstall 2 times. Far as them getting hot all laptops get hot the only time to worry is when the fan stops working now that's when you have a problem. PC users always say Macs are too expensive or you over payed... The one I like the most is I can build a cheaper PC and I can upgrade when ever I want... So what if I want the ablity to upgrade my system I would have bought a Mac Pro and spent the extra money. I truely feel that most PC users have never used a Mac or if they have it was when they were in school and they are now too scared to try something new. And they spout off your OS is unix and it is crappy, but they don't even know what they are talking about. Apple got it right by using something that has been around for many yrs all the bugs have be worked out and is very stable. Windows is like an adventure you never know what you will get because when it is released it was untested and you can't see what is under the hood because that is a secret. Well that is the end of my rant take it for what it is worth. Jeremy
  • Jeremy you're wrong on a few counts there. A lot of PC users actually really like OSX, but they don't like being locked into the hardware from Apple. Sure it's improving slowly, but you're still pretty locked in on that front, they (we) want the freedom t pick and choose our own hardware. It realy is that simple.

There's nothing that a lot of PC users hate about Macs so much as the attitude (Wanderer I'm looking at you) that an extremely vocal minority of Mac users have. They're offensive and don't believe there is any reason why everyone should not be using a Mac. If someone's chosen to use a PC then they're stupid or whatever.

*THAT* is what PC users *REALLY* hate ;)
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    @Stash: I completely agree that, in general, Macs typically locked you into specific hardware. Especially the low-end Macs.

However, the new Mac Pro was specifically designed to be completely reconfigurable to your own liking:

http://apple.com/macpro/expansion.html

From Apple.com: "The new Mac Pro — More than 4 Million Possible Configurations: You’re the expert. With build-to-order options available for processors, graphic cards, memory, hard drives, optical drives, and other features and components, the über-configurable Mac Pro lets you build your personal dream machine."

There's not much you can't add or customize to that system. Granted, it's not exactly a system for someone on a budget. But, the Mac Pro is definitely competitively priced. (Many configurations are even far cheaper than an equivalent Dell.)

Just curious, but now that they've addressed the major complaints about Macs (configurability, and price), is it any more appealing?
  • Come on [-Stash-] you don't hate me, you hate what I say and (apparently) how I say it. It does not make what I say wrong.

I've spent years copping grief from PC nerds, now that my stance is being rewarded can't I give some of it back?

dan39 & Shaf made significant comments that are spot-on and nobody could take as offensive.

Have you made your mark yet...
    Vote here
  • Already lot of great things have been said about Os X before you arrived wanderer and many pc user on this forum would like to have an Apple. There is no mac basher or microsolft zealot on this forum like you seems to think.
  • Stash, you say a lot of PC users like OSX, but hate being locked in to what Apple has to offer and want to put what ever they want inside there box, but you have to look at doing all those things is a PRO level type thing. The entry or mid level person really doesn't need to have all that flexibility because they don't need to keep up with industry standard to do what they need. If I was rendering video, photos, or a hard core gamer yes it is very nice to be able to change things out from time to time, but when you are just writing e-mails, blogging, touching up photos, and my be some low end games that don't require insane requirements like FPS do then having to upgrade isn't all that much of an issue and will be able to keep a system for many yrs. before having to upgrade or get a new computer. On a side note: The reason to upgrade is that your needs have changed and cannot do what you need to do anymore, and the major of reasons to upgrade are new OS that have higher requirements in order to run, or computer gaming. Just about everything else you can run on a system lower end system. I wouldn't be surprised to see when Vista comes out that everyone that has an older system they go to there local Best-Buy, CompUsa, CircitCity, Frys, or what every computer store they use and get the best video card, fastest CPU, good Mainboard, and memory. Or at least at a min. buy a new computer from Sony, HP, Compaq, etc.. Just to see what Vista is all about. But the people that need to have the ability to upgrade on the fly are going to be your PROs or HARD CORE GAMERs like I said above, because your average user isn't going to drop $400 on a video card to send out an e-mail, look at or fix photos. I was once your Hard Core Gamer and spent a good amount of money time on my computer and then my needs changed and no longer played many games that required having the need to upgrade all the time to play games at there max resolution. But I think that the majority of the Mac haters are the Hard Core Gamers that look at the price point of the Mac Pro and non-upgrade abilities of the iMac. Ok just look at it this way the Mac Pro is around $2200, but you can build a really nice PC for about $1500 which is about $700 cheaper, but the thing that they don't notice is that the Mac Pro sports the Xeon Processor x2 and a kick ass graphics card and has more potential. The thing the Mac Pro is a high-end workstation and your going to pay for it. So they look at the iMac which is the step down from the Mac Pro and see that you can't upgrade it and don't want to be stuck with something that won't be able to play the games the way they want to with-in 9 months and so they say Macs are too expensive and you waste your money if you buy one or you must be rich or an elitest/snob. I personaly don't play games on my computer anymore and wanted to get away from all the problem I was having with all of Microsoft Windows and Apple had what I was looking for and no problems so far. Jeremy
  • The Cost of Ownership for Windows is amazing, the Windows Security thing (subscription I think) doesn't really work. I have been test driving Ubuntu out the last couple days and it runs very smoothly, although I haven't installed it (I should get to it, my memory is almost full!). But anyways, when I get a new computer I will be dumping Windows and Getting Ubuntu, while letting my spyware magnet. Also I will never give Microsoft a cent again!
  • "Come on [-Stash-] you don't hate me, you hate what I say and (apparently) how I say it. It does not make what I say wrong."
    Wanderer I never said I hate you, if you read my comments again. I don't even hate what you say, it really is the way that you say it.

Regarding this comment:
    "I've spent years copping grief from PC nerds, now that my stance is being rewarded can't I give some of it back?"
    No, as this makes you worse than the "PC nerds" as you are doing exactly the same as them and making yourself a hypocrite on top of it! You especially shouldn't be doing it to us as we haven't been telling you to get a PC or to ditch the Mac. Go and do it to some of the people who have given you grief over the years!

I think it would be fair to say that the PC users in this forum are more aware of the Mac than most, and have their reasons for not using one. They also understand why people would use a Mac and therefore don't have a problem with those that do. I personally haven't seen much Mac bashing in this forum at all, mainly PC bashing from people like you.

Shaf, I do agree with most of what you say, but what you also have to realise is that a higher percentage than normal of users here are PRO level. This is what makes Wanderer's attitude towards us rude and annoying. Again I say that I've seen very little, if any, Mac hating (until this discussion *sigh*) on these forums, so why are PC users getting it in the next so much just for their hardware/OS of choice?

Personally I am a heavy user and like to think of myself of a hardcore gamer as well (when I have the time), so the choice of platform is a simple one for me. Having said that, when my wife needed a laptop back in 2001, we went out and took a look at what was on the market and ended up with a G3 iBook. It was the best specced and best build machine on the market at the time for around £1000. Even though OSX wasn't great back then (you have to admit that the first few versions were raw and performed pretty poorly on low amounts of RAM) it was Windows equal in most things, better in some and worse in others.

Also, last year when the Mac Mini came out I bought myself one as I wanted a small machine that I didn't have the urge to upgrade and tinker with. I have only upgraded the memory on it, but other than that I haven't touched it. It not provides a perfect backup machine for me and a great web-email-office workstation for anyone who needs to use it at any time.

So I do see the benefits of Mac hardware as well as software. I just hate Wanderer's rudeness to PC users on this forum and think there is no excuse for it (yes, some of them have been incredibly rude back to him and I don’t think there’s an excuse for that either, although I understand why they have been). I don't even mind his Mac evangelism, he could do it in a polite, thoughtful way and get a LOT more support for it to boot! Please Wanderer, just stop being rude to people who have chosen a different path to you on these forums. If someone here has been rude to you specifically regarding the fact that you use a Mac, then take it up with them via email or whispers, don't pollute the rest of the public forums with this. I say exactly the same to them as well.

Dan, I agree that the Mac Pro is beautifully engineered machine and the hardware configuration is good. I even accept the fact that it's cheaper than the Dell. But for me personally I wouldn't purchase the Dell, and both machines are complete overkill for what I do. I can get faster performance for the things I do building it myself and for less money. With a PC, this is always a choice, not with the Mac. Again, this is just personal preference and I can only say for certainty that this makes the PC better for me, not everyone or even ANYONE else perhaps. Also, please remember that Dell are not the only PC manufacturer on the planet, and not even the best! They are just the biggest.
  • I bashed the PC-Mentality, it's not my fault PC users saw the truth in my statements and took offense like 5-year-olds (damn it I have to stop doing that)!

Reading back through some very old posts though, (2005) I see that it's true, lots of understanding and praising of the Mac platform, both hardware and OS.

Also lots of longing for Macs, and stupid basic questions (like does the right mouse button do the same thing on a Mac) which points out some ignorance.

I whispered to someone recently...

As for my choice of words, I understand that "written" they are subject to having the intent being interpreted "badly" especially if people are pre-disposed to thinking that way. I say these things all the time in person to friends and complete strangers and they laugh or respond in other positive ways.

It's sad people here are a little humour-challenged and don't seem to understand the use of subtlety and irony in humour as part of a discussion, nor do metaphors go down well. This all seems to translate into Wanderer being a rude and insulting bastard, that's sad because I'm really cute and likeable in person. (I could translate it as you guys being stiff, straight-laced, affectatious and stuck up.)

I can't remember who said he was coming to Melbourne in the New Year, but I do hope he invests in some thick skin and gets his Aussie-Humour inoculation!

Vote here
  • yeah, i'm coming, mate. don't you worry about me. i've been to oz before and i have quite a few aussie friends. they all have a great sense of humour, which in their case does not translate to talking down to people.
  • Oh, but we're perfectly capable. ;)
This discussion has been closed.