Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Janine

Comments

• Options
    Yea, squirrel, what you said. Most of it was entirely over my head, but you convinced me way back at, "hello."

Is there a Superior Extension Support Award where I can put in a nomination?
  • Options
    I just want it to work and work well. I'm not employed in a coding job right now, so I have to do stuff like this to stay in shape.

Everything I described is now coded, but not tested. I doubt I'll get it done tonight, though, so thank you for being patient. Janine 1.1.0 should be up within 24 hours.
  • Options
    Awesome. I'm waiting with bated (but ever-so-patient patient) breath.
  • Options
    i think i like this idea also :)

on my site we have A LOT of posts but not a lot of feedback, so as it is now i would have a ton of empty discussions in the forum. i was even trying to think ahead of a way to put, say, all the press releases into a separate forum for that very reason -- they're just not the kind of thing that people usually comment on. so janine 1.1.0 would make for a much cleaner forum and database for a site like mine

one downside is that you won't have people browsing the forum and finding an article via the auto-generated post, but that's i guess ok -- can always use add-ons like feedreader to get the latest blog posts in the sidebar

i know alison and i haven't been able to get the current janine working so hopefully things go well with 1.1.0 for everyone :)
  • Options
    Hi, i ran into the same problem as most frustrater doods here. Janine just wouldn't work. I pinpointed the problem to a charset setting issue. I use UTF8 as the charset for wordpress, this makes the xml data, that is sent to the xml-rpc ping parser, be enconded in UTF8 thus non standard characters are enconded weirdly for Janine (which is written in some other enconding). Problem exactly happens in default.php at this line:

if ( (strpos($RawData, '<?xml') === 0)

the < is not a standard character, thus encoded diferently, thus making them not findable, so the xml-rpc ping works, it's just discarded by the extension.

My solution was to encode that file (default.php) entirely to UTF8. I'll wait to see how this is solved.

Posible Solutions:

-Use regexps.

-Use utf8_decode / utf8_encode and the functions to detect utf8 data.

-Search for another string into de xml ping data.

Contact me for anything you need. Hope to be helpfull
  • Options
    squirrel i can help right now. I have some hours devoted to this blog/forum for college and hope to get it done in less than 3 hours, so i could work helping you with thi snow ^^

Gimme a call

I'll got shower
  • Options
    fyi, my encoding is ISO-8859-1. i chose that because i had some formatting problems with old content i had ported into WP
  • Options
    chanzero but yours work right?
  • Options
    Hey xtc, glad to have more input.

My encoding is UTF-8.
  • Options
    xtc: no, i have to do PostBackAction=JanineUpdate to force the update like alison
  • Options
    try looking for the solution in default.php here:

if ($Context->SelfUrl == 'extension.php') {

if (@$_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST') {
    $RawData = '';
    $RawData .= trim(@$GLOBALS['HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA']);
    if ( (strpos($RawData, '<?xml') === 0) && (strpos($RawData, '<methodName>weblogUpdates.ping') !== FALSE) ) {
    $JaninePingMethod = 'XML-RPC';
    }

} else if (@$Context-&gt;Configuration['JanineAllowPostBack']) {
    if (ForceIncomingString('PostBackAction', '') == 'JanineUpdate') {
    $JaninePingMethod = 'DEBUG';
    }
    }

}

Janine wouldn't match any of the two options since i have PostBackAction = 0 and it wouldn't find the info it searches for in the xml-rpc data. I still think it is encoding problems, because the only weird behaviour happened when matching with strpos, maybe you are using latin iso charset and janine is written in come no latin ansi, maybe ascii, so it doesn't find the thing anyway.

Let me know if i can help in any other way.

btw, this is the site i'm deploying. Is for coordination for a college class. http://pub2.halles.cl/
    It's Vanilla + WP, trying to integrate as much as posible. Still working on it so you'll see a crippled forum :p
  • Options
    i know this is off topic but i need a quick help, is there a way to move the side bar to the right without making changes iun the theming sourcecode ?
  • Options
    Nice integration xtc. I really like how you wrapped the forum to match the site. I've got to figure out how to do that.

Did you search the rest of the forum for help with the sidebar issue? If you can't find anything there, start a new discussion. Those who can help will be more likely to see it.
  • Options
    i had to modify the theme structure source code to match the wordpress theme, and then applied the same stylesheet :p

fo moving the sidebar to the right i just floated it to the right with css. Also i changed the position of the sidebar in the wordpress theme, so i could use the same stylesheet.

If you need any help i'll be glad to provide.
  • Options
    I don't get it.

The first 128 characters of latin1 (ISO-8859-1) have exactly the same encoding in UTF-8. The '<' and '>' fall in this range so I don't know how they could be any more "standard". When I convert default.php to UTF-8 the two files are byte-for-byte identical. Also my WordPress encoding is UTF-8 the same as Alison and it's no trouble for me.

I did find one possible problem in how Janine gets the raw post data. If your PHP has the register_globals option turned off then the $GLOBALS['HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA'] will be empty. To fix this in Janine, open the default.php and look for the following lines:
    $RawData = ''; $RawData .= trim(@$GLOBALS['HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA']);
    Replace with the following line:
    $RawData = isset($HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA) ? trim($HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA) : trim(file_get_contents('php://input'));
    But this is the kind of thing that either works or it doesn't. It wouldn't account for the lone successful XML-RPC ping that Alison saw on her setup. Try it anyway if you have a mind to. I'll include this fix in Janine 1.1.0 just because it's more "correct".
  • Options
    squirrel, I just made the changes you suggested. Then I made a new post, logged out, and forced the postback action. This is what I got:

Some problems were encountered
    Janine says: Comments are not allowed for the most recent blog post.
  • Options
    that didn't change anything for me. nothing posted and JanineUpdate still said i had to be logged out; and then when i was logged out JanineUpdate said it had posted the discussion for me.

thanks for your continued work on this :)
  • Options
    hm... i'll test this some more, maybe i can spot the weirdness.

squirrel

About the method you want to implement, on how Janine keeps track of Wp-posts that have plugin. AS i understood you would store all data in Janine's table (or whatever) so wp can't access it directly. I can help making a plugin for wordpress that would integrate this feature for theme usage.
  • Options
    Thanks, xtc, but no need for a WP plugin. If Janine keeps a record of posts-to-discussions then Janine can simply look up the discussion that matches the blog's post ID and redirect the user with a header bounce. It works quite well, I'm just finishing the debugging now.
  • Options
    cool :) I suppose that the theme line for the linking will be based on *if_comments_are_open()* or something like that....

btw, take a look at my thing, i think i won't do anything else for integrating, does the job i need.

http://pub2.halles.cl/