Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Janine

Comments

• Options
    @squirrel

sorry for bothering you again with this, but haven't you looked into the encoding issue regarding the %BlogPostTitle% token? to recap, I checked both Vanilla and WP (and the DB) as far as encoding is concerned - it is utf8 throughout. but still the (Cyrillic) title of the blog-post gets garbled once posted to the forum... has smth to do with WP and it drives me nuts :)
  • Options
    alast: Haven't had a chance to look at encoding, no. I will do what I can but I don't understand the problem very well.
  • Options
    thanks, squirrel. the problem it seems is a generic wordpress one. i described the symptoms here

and maybe you can just help me locate it if you say where exactly from in WP Janine picks up the title and the content, so that I could check those areas of WP encodingwise.
  • Options
    Janine pulls the title and content directly from the wp_posts table.

But now that I think about it, Janine doesn't open a new DB connection. It just uses the existing Vanilla DB connection. If Vanilla and WP use different encodings for the DB connection, maybe this could be the problem? I dunno...
  • Options
    the thing is they use the same. or at least supposed to do so...

maybe the easiest way to test this is to type in something in non-latin characters and see what happens? :)

at this stage I don't even know whether it's just me who's having this :)
  • Options
    Still not seeing it. It works for me.
  • Options
    By the way, I'm using comment #2 in this discussion for bug/feature tracking information. Please let me know if I should add anything to the list. Thanks.
  • Options
    ok. it looks like it's on my side somewhere. have to go through MaxB routine again... keep you posted :)
  • Options
    @squirrel

jut to let you know that i've sorted the encoding thingy out. it was a weird bug in my editor. smth i eventually ran into almost by chance :)
  • Options
    Few problems with Janine.

I will be transferring content from the old site to the WP blog. So, I'm setting up lots of files, but assigning them to the appropriate authors. When a discussion is created, shouldn't it create the discussion using the name of either the person who clicked the discussion link to start the thread, OR the name of the author? Instead, it's listing ME as the creator on all of them.

Also, the link from the discussion back to the article has gone bad again.

Some of the links are still bad, I think it's because I have tried to change the link structure and some links were made with pretty links--but the blog links are back to default.

Logging into one side doesn't log me into the other. Got a couple of things to try on that issue.

Tried them, don't know where to go from here.
  • Options
    Well, I haven't cone anything to the link structure and about half of the Janine-created links back to articles are good and the other half bad. I can manually fix each one, but don't understand what's happening.

When I post a blog article--no matter who the author is--the Vanilla discussion puts me as the author. Today I learned that when my other authors create blog entries, the Vanilla discussions still list ME as the author, even though I wasn't even logged in when it occurred.

Again, I'm not sure where Janine gets its author info, but it should be using the author, I think. Can this be changed?

Login still doesn't apply to both sides.
  • Options
    isn't there a setting in the config file for author - it's switchable, 0 or 1, depending on whether you want the admin or the blog post creator to make the forum post.
  • Options
    Thanks circuit. I set that bugger so many times, but apparently missed it on the last install. Worked like a charm.
  • Options
    I want to make my forum's URL friendly, but doing so will break the exitsting links from the blog to the forum. How do I change the URL the WP discussion link points to?
  • Options
    Any of the issues mentioned in the 2nd post been included in the release yet?
  • Options
    Haven't seen squirrel since April. Roadkill? :(
  • Options
    LOL :D I hope not!
  • Options
    Looking to expand the features of this add on. Noticed that we're currently using a very simple method for detecting XML-RPC requests. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience porting this over to a more robust XML-RPC Client/Server... say PEAR XML_RPC?
  • Options
    I... live... again!

Based on feature requests I've received, I'm looking at a complete overhaul of Janine. The likely result will be a new extension that breaks compatibility with the old Janine. In this case a migration script will be included in the new extension.

Features checklist:
    • Building on the generic idea of "affiliated discussions" to include support for blog posts, wiki pages, etc.
    • Support for external data sources (i.e., no need for Vanilla to share a database with the blog or wiki).
    • Support for affiliated discussions from more than one source (i.e., a blog and a wiki at the same time).
    • More intelligent matching of user and category names (useful on a totally plain Vanilla with no other modification).
    • A real, grown-up settings page with no need to hand-edit configuration files.
    I'm thinking of calling it "Affinity".
  • Options
    I have a suggestion squirrel, why not call the extension something like "WP Affinity"? Then you can also make a "Drupal Affinity" and we have at least *some* indication what the extension does ;)