Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Janine

Comments

• Options
    I hit some snags in testing and they took longer to work out than I thought. It's going well, but I've gotta push 1.1.0 back until tomorrow. Sorry!
  • Options
    Uploaded version 1.1.0 of Janine.
  • Options
    It's done and it works. It's more than twice as big, but over half of that is documentation. I highly recommend you read that documentation because it has everything you need to know to upgrade from versions 1.0.X.

No more PHP, squirrel eat now...
  • Options
    thanks, great. BTW: in case anyone's inetersted, a bit of good news for mac-users. As some, perhaps, know already, there is a way of integrating Wordpress with Rapidweaver: http://nilrogsplace.se/webdesign/rapidweaver/tutorials/wordpress/index_en.html In case you've done that, there's no need to mess around with WP templates. You can insert all the necessary stuff right into your RW blog-page and cutomise it there according to your needs. Since everyone will be redirected from the original WP page to the one you create with RW, it doesn't really matter how the former looks like (unless you are a purist :)) And, of course, most of the language customisation is then also done in RW. Unfortunately, encoding still doesn't work with the data extracted by Janine, though.
  • Options
    and still... some thoughts, squirrel, for after you've eaten.

i was thinking about the interchangeability of commenting in the blog and discussing on the forum options. imagine a user who, through some deeper integration between Vanilla and Wordpress, by registering at the forum acquires also a WP account. you can also imagine this user wanting to integrate her WP-blog into a personal site, perhaps located on another server. it is also quite possible that she might want some of the posts on that blog to be starting new discussion threads on the forum but to have others commented upon separately on that personal site of hers, while not being visible to the forum at all. why not? in that case, i am not sure whether BOTH 'comment' and 'discuss' options should be present in each post, or should the user have an option of choosing which one (if any) to display...
  • Options
    ok, i have installed the new janine and now when i do JanineUpdate i get no error so i assume it's working -- i still have to edit my WP pages to have the janine commenting links on there before i can test that. will report back shortly :)
  • Options
    Sigh.

I downloaded the new Janine, but ran into confusion. It's got two folders in the folder. One is called "Janine" and the ReadMe has info up through version 1.1.0. The other is called "Janine-1.1.0" but the ReadMe only has info up to 1.0.4.

In other words, the FOLDER with the most up-do-date name SEEMS to have the OLD info. Which one do I use?

Then, reading the seemingly newer ReadMe's "Upgrading from Versions 1.0.X, its seems I may have done something bad. Before reading anything (!) I disabled Janine in my test Vanilla and then deleted the old Janine from my server. Was that bad? Maybe not.

FWIW, all the blog postings are dummies anyway, so I can just delete them all and start over...

Any update chanzero?
  • Options
    I can't get the new version to work at all. Just doesn't post anything in Vanilla. I did a complete removal of Janine from the database and everything. Then I installed it fresh and it still doesn't work. I am at a loss. I noticed I can't force the post either because there is no Allowed Post Back option anymore so I can't force it. Anyways I need guidance. Thank you.
  • Options
    Michel, obviously I don't have this working either, so I may be off base, but if I understood correctly, this version will NOT automatically post a discussion. I think ??? that you have to click on the link in the post before it will make one.

I think that explains chanzero's comment that it seemed to be working, but he wouldn't be sure until he added the Janine comment links to his theme. I think. Hope. Or something.

Someone who knows something is free to correct me.
  • Options
    alison: i think you're ok, but what you need to do is create a folder called Janine and put all the files from the unzipped Janine-1.1.0 folder (just the contents not the folder itself) in there

michel: i think you missed the earlier discussion but squirrel was saying she had a new way for janine to work which i believe is incorporated into janine-1.1.0 -- that being, new vanilla discussions are not created upon publishing of a WP post -- instead discussions are created when someone clicks on the WP post's "post your comments" (which needs to be adjusted in your WP theme files per the readme)

obviously squirrel can confirm officially
  • Options
    hmm. i made the changes to my Single Post template to but something weird is going on with the html there. at the bottom of my page it says "41243 | Discussion >" where 41243 is my WPpost ID and Discussion is the following link:
    http://www.mysite.com/forums/extension.php?PostBackAction=GetBlogDiscussion&BlogPostID=

EDIT: after reading the WP codex i believe the way the code is written will work correctly because the tag "the_ID" is only available during the Loop and thus BlogPostID will always be empty

regardless, when i add the WPpostID manually to the end of the link thusly:
    http://www.mysite.com/forums/extension.php?PostBackAction=GetBlogDiscussion&BlogPostID=41243

i get the following error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '{' in /home/sites/buzzscope/users/buzz/public_html/forums/extensions/Janine/Janine.Control.JanineControl.php on line 185

so now i'm sorta stumped. it's possible i did not upgrade janine correctly =/ will play around more when i get a chance.
  • Options
    chanzerio, is the Janine-1.0.1 folder the updated one? It's got the wrong ReadMe, I'm pretty sure. What is the "Janine" folder? It's default file also says 1.0.1.
    quirrel was saying she had a new way for janine to work
    Squirrel is FEMALE? Not that it matters, but the forum is so male-heavy that I tend to just assume male.
  • Options
    alison: in your vanilla/extensions folder i believe you should have a folder called simply "Janine"; i think all newly unzipped files from janine 1.1.0 should go in there

i am not sure the ReadMe is wrong. granted the version history only lists up to 1.0.4, however the information for changing WP files is new and seemingly correct

i thought she was based on the line at the end of her readme's: "The alien looks like her father." but i could be wrong ^_^; not that it matters, as you said, but it is pretty cool if so
  • Options
    OK, but just to be sure you understood, when I download the latest Janine 1.1.0, I get a folder called "Janine-2007-03-23 Folder" that has TWO folders in it, one called "Janine" and the other called "Janine-1.1.0." The FORMER has a read me that IS up-to-date, the latter doesn't. The more up-to-date ReadMe includes info on 1.1.0 and on upgrading from a previous version. The file NAMES within the two, inner folders are identical, but the ReadMe's are different. There are at least a few, minor differences in the code between the two sets of files, as well. For example:

Line 185 in Janine.Control.JanineControl.php:

return $this->GetDiscussionUrl($this->BlogPostData['BlogPostID']);
    return $this->GetDiscussionUrl($this->BlogPostData['BlogPostID']) {

Are you saying that I should use the inner folder called "Janine-1.1.0"?
  • Options
    no i'm not definitely saying that -- in fact what you've pointed out seems like it would be what was wrong with mine. let me test and post results
  • Options
    IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

when i say that, i mean going to this link worked:
    http://www.mysite.com/forums/extension.php?PostBackAction=GetBlogDiscussion&BlogPostID=41243

it created a new vanilla discussion with a link back to the WPpost! so that means i can go ahead and make the changes on my WP files :)

try this:

1) go into to settings and turn off Janine

2) open Janine.Control.JanineControl.php from the Janine 1.1.0 folder and change line 185:
    from: return $this->GetDiscussionUrl($this->BlogPostData['BlogPostID']) {
    to: return $this->GetDiscussionUrl($this->BlogPostData['BlogPostID']);

3) upload the files in Janine 1.1.0 into the vanilla/extensions/Janine/ folder, overwriting any existing files
    4) refresh settings page and turn on Janine
    5) pick a WP post with no comments and get its postID # and put at the end of this string (replace # sign with actual postID)
    http://www.yoursite.com/vanilla/extension.php?PostBackAction=GetBlogDiscussion&BlogPostID=#

if all goes well, it should create the discussion -- and you'll be at the same happy spot where i currently am :)

then just have to make changes to WP files as noted in 1.1.0 ReadMe

*if all this doesn't work, try to run this link? not sure if necessary
    http://www.yoursite.com/forums/extensions/Janine/upgrade.php
  • Options
    FYI, I just compared all the files in the two folders. The "Janine" folder has the CORRECT code. The "Janine-1.1.0" does not. If you use "Janine" you won't have to make the line 185 correction that chanzero gave above. (It also has the updated ReadMe.)

I'll be uploading that and I'll let you know if I can get it to work.
  • Options
    When it comes to your old blog posts created by Janine, you have three options:
    Is this referring to discussion posts created by Janine (since Janine doesn't create "blog posts")?

Vanilla and WordPress must be using the same database, same username, same password.
    Neat Trick #1: If your blog and your Vanilla forum share the same users table, set this option to '0'. Janine will try to post the discussion using the same user ID that made the blog post.
    Aren't these referring to the same thing? If so, the "if" in the second quote doesn't make sense.

JanineDiscUserID
    The user ID that Janine will use to post discussions, default is '1'.
    JanineDiscCategoryID
    The ID of the category where the new discussions will appear, default is '1'.
    Both of these categories have "0" as the default now.

I did a fresh install of my theme as per the instructions "You will need to roll back any changes you made to your blog's theme for versions 1.0.X."

It seems, however, that I really should have those changes, as per the "Adding a Discussion Link to the Blog" section in the docs. Were there other changes made that I forgot?

I'll correct my previous post. It SEEMS as though the new version does not immediately create a new discussion upon blog post creation--UNLESS you have the ping thing going. (The ping thing, however, does not always work.)

Alrightee. I'm off to do some coding. I'll check back in later.
  • Options
    OK, good new and bad news.

I changed my theme settings as per the instructions squirrel gave earlier for Mistylook. (Should they be different?)

Then I created a new blog post. The post had NO "Discussion" link and NO discussion was created. (I did set the ping, so apparently the ping isn't working?)

I ran the postbackaction as per chanzero's post. This DID create a disussion, but there is still no link on the blog TO the discussion.

The links to the blog comments are gone on the main page and the single page, as they should be, but remain on the archive pages.

I'm guessing that either the theme coding is wrong or I entered it wrong. Ideas?
  • Options
    alison: sounds like janine is working but you have not changed your themes correctly