Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Janine

Comments

• Options
    Yea, it does. I just copied what squirrel had put in the thread earlier, but perhaps the new version requires different changes? I'll see if I can figure that out, but I'm not much at php.
  • Options
    Everything seems to be working, after I followed the directions in this thread. Yeah, the two folders is a bit confusing. One weird thing though....the links that I'm generating for my wordpress templates (I'm using the code right out of the documentation) all start with the post # of whatever post the link is tied to. Where's this coming from and how do I get rid of it? So far this is really exciting! Its really going to force me to rethink how we run our blog.
  • Options
    The "Janine" folder has the CORRECT code. The "Janine-1.1.0" does not.

This is correct. The "Janine-1.1.0" was an older working copy that shouldn't have been there. I should have been more careful but I was rushing.

Neat Trick #1: If your blog and your Vanilla forum share the same users table, set this option to '0'. Janine will try to post the discussion using the same user ID that made the blog post.

Aren't these referring to the same thing? If so, the "if" in the second quote doesn't make sense.

They are not the same. Vanilla and WordPress can share the same database without sharing the same users table.

Both of these categories have "0" as the default now.

If so it's a bug, but one I haven't seen. When I install fresh both are '1'.

I did a fresh install of my theme as per the instructions "You will need to roll back any changes you made to your blog's theme for versions 1.0.X."

It seems, however, that I really should have those changes, as per the "Adding a Discussion Link to the Blog" section in the docs. Were there other changes made that I forgot?

Nope, look carefully. The old instructions for 1.0.X relied on a custom field in your blog posts that Janine no longer bothers with. The earlier instructions I gave for Mistylook aren't valid for 1.1.0. Sorry about that.

On top of that, chanzero is correct. I totally screwed up the 1.1.0 instructions for altering the blog template.

I will fix the zip and the docs, roll the version up to 1.1.1 and post it soon. Again, sorry.
  • Options
    Well I don't know I followed all the instructions to the letter and still it doesn't post. I know I have done everything right. So I am not so sure what I am doing wrong. is there any help that I could get for this. I have to be over looking something.
  • Options
    Uploaded version 1.1.1 of Janine.
  • Options
    This update fixes the archive and has better documentation to clear up the link problems seen by chanzero, michelbites, bflora, and others. I actually tested my WordPress changes this time, so I know they're right. As always, please let me know if you have problems. Thanks.
  • Options
    yay! everything is working quite nicely now :) thanks for your diligent work squirrel!

only thing is, i am noticing a bunch of discussions have been started but no posts have been made on them. is it possible that google-type search bots are tripping the discussion creation links? i ask this because they were all created at like 3-5am EST on a weekend, and i'm thinking if there really was someone online on my site now and they bothered to click "leave a comment", i'd think they'd leave one?

EDIT: ok, i really think this can't be humans -- i just woke up and i now have 85 new discussions with 0 new posts!
  • Options
    lol :D
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification, squirrel.
    When you first enable Janine it should automatically create some default settings in Vanilla's conf/settings.php file. If you are using WordPress 2.0.X or 2.1.X, the default settings should work just fine for you, though you will probably want to customize some of them. These settings are stored in Vanilla's conf/settings.php file.
    When I originally installed Janine, I changed the conf/settings.php to 0 to use the "neat tricks." When I did a fresh install of Janine, the code were both still 0. So, when I reinstalled and re-enabled Janine, I guess it didn't overwrite my changes?

Ah, OK. So the earlier MistyLook changes don't work anymore. I'll reinstall a fresh copy of the theme. Any hints on how to modify the docs to fit Misty? Do I need to modify at all? (I'm not much on php, if you hadn't noticed.)
  • Options
    Hey guys, how do I create a token to add the first 100 words or so of a wordpress post content to what Janine posts? It can't be so hard right? I'm liking the post title and post link, but I'd also like a little "teaser" of the actual content itself without the whole article showing up in there. I just don't know any SQL in order to write the query. What would it be and where would it go?
  • Options
    Hm. Interesting, and not difficult.

Open the file 'extensions/Janine/Janine.Control.WordPress21.php'

Find the line that looks like this:
    'BlogPostModified' => 'post_modified_gmt',
    Add the following line right after it:
    'BlogPostContent' => 'post_content',

$SqlBuilder->AddSelect(array('BlogPostID', 'BlogPostUserID', 'BlogPostTitle', 'BlogPostComments', 'BlogPostLink'), 'bp');
    Replace it with this:
    $SqlBuilder->AddSelect(array('BlogPostID', 'BlogPostUserID', 'BlogPostTitle', 'BlogPostComments', 'BlogPostLink', 'BlogPostContent'), 'bp');

// Attempt to get the category ID, nice but not necessary
    Add the following lines right BEFORE it:
    // Split the post content at the "more" tag $PostContent = explode('<!--more-->', $ReturnData['BlogPostContent'], 2); $ReturnData['BlogPostBeforeSplit'] = $PostContent[0]; $ReturnData['BlogPostAfterSplit'] = ForceSet(@$PostContent[1], '');

This will give you three new tokens: BlogPostContent, BlogPostBeforeSplit, and BlogPostAfterSplit. The first has the entire text of the blog post, the second has everything before the "more" tag (or everything, if there is no more tag), the third has everything after the "more" tag (or nothing, if there is no more tag).

Does this help?
  • Options
    squirrel: any clue about the mystery robot posts i mentioned? i now have 300+ discussions with 0 posts!

but thanks for the "more" code, i needed that too.
  • Options
    chanzero, you're probably right. They were probably created by a search engine spidering the links on your site. Janine creates the new discussion when the discussion link is accessed, so even a search engine could do that. I didn't consider that, or what it would do to a site with a lot of archives. Sorry about that.

I should have advised you (and everyone else) to add rel="nofollow" to the comment links on your WordPress pages.
  • Options
    i'm getting this error. i'm still trying to figure it out.
    A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    The "JanineWordPress204" control referenced by "JanineWordPress204" does not appear to exist.
    Affected Elements
    ObjectFactory.CreateControl();
  • Options
    i got it. i changed my wordpress version back to Wordpress21 in the settings.php file and it works. i actually have 2.0.4 but i guess the filename was coming up wrong.
  • Options
    is there a way to retrieve the blog post's username as a token?
  • Options
    circuit, I'm guessing its done the same way as for the post content. Squirrel. Your steps worked like a charm! Janine's kicking some major ass. I'm going to add in an author token and date as well for a decent byline (I run a news blog so thats important). SWEET!
  • Options
    one more little observation before i go to bed:
    this extension causes the blog post author to appear online in the 'who's online' extension, whether they are or not. not a problem for me really, but might be for someone.

otherwise, i love it. thanks squirrel.
  • Options
    Nevermind...
  • Options
    Hmmmm, actually, I'm not seeing an obvious solution, since display name is in a different table....how would that work? Something like this? if (!array_key_exists('JanineBlogUsers', $Context->DatabaseTables)) { $Context->DatabaseTables['JanineBlogUsers'] = 'users'; $Context->DatabaseColumns['JanineBlogUsers'] = array( 'BlogPostAuthor' => 'display_name WHERE ID=post_author', );