Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options
    Well, I have to admit I made an error myself first, during the process, so I did a few steps twice. I should do it again with a "clean" vanilla, to see if everything really works if you do things like you're supposed to. But for me everything looks fine.
  • Options
    I must have been using my future prediction abilities when i was writing it to make sure it worked pretty much with v1 then :D
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    Hmm. Seems it was just while it had a full 7th page?
  • Options
    Okay, well, it does seem to work nicely, except that it gives an error for each category it imports (something about affected row not being a valid source), hmm, I should have written it down. Actually, it looked very much like tsuma's problem (earlier on this page), but the categories imported just fine. And of course the Order/Priority thing. One thing about the priority though, if you've split your phpBB forum into several category groups, say Serious with the categories Very Serious and Also Serious, and a second group called Silly with the categories Very Silly and Also Silly, the migrator will sort them like this: Very Serious, Very Silly, Also Serious, Also Silly (so it's ignoring the groupings).
  • Options
    Yeah, because there's no second level grouping in vanilla it's impossible for me to carry that through.
  • Options
    Oh, I was thinking you'd actually change the Priority values during the migration. So you'd make a list of all phpbb categories, sorted by group and order, and then number them and put them into the Vanilla table. It's been a while since I did something with PHP, but I could take a look and see if I can come up with something decent.
  • Options
    Hmm. Sorting by group could work actually. Theyre just in whatever order they were created in at the moment i think.
    The whole system needs a ton of work on it in fairness.
  • Options
    For any new people around, I used the phpBB migrator, and this is what happened: When migrating categories, I got an error for each category, however they were all migrated fine. Secondly, I noticed all users were admins, so I ran a query on the lussumo user tables, making them normal members. Also, I had some troubles in that my phpBB admin didn't have total administative powers, I'm not really sure what is causing it, and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it either (the only power I can find lacking is editing the discussion title and category of other people's discussions). And lastly, phpBB's list syntax is [list][*]item[*]item[/list], but the Better BBCode extension uses [list][li]item[/li][li]item[/li][/list]. This won't be converted by the migrator, so you might want to run an SQL query fixing this (unless you like checking and editing discussions by hand). That's it really, other than that it worked just fine for me, however, it should be noted that the migrator (while very nice, thanks Mini) is quite basic, and really made for 0.9.x and not v1. So please make backups and look around a bit at your migrated forum before unleashing it on the public.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Hi I have changed the source to allow for the phpbb and the vanilla databases to be different. ie same mysql server, but on different databases, as this was how ours is set up. you can grab it from http://lighternetworks.com/~buf/migrator.zip

hope it helps you, it still spits a few errors, im gonna clean it up if i get around to it, but its working grouse.
  • Options
    quick! so where is this zip or is there any other migrator for v.1?
  • Options
    There is no migrator for Vanilla 1, but the old one kind of works, and you can get it here: http://www.int0rw3b.com/migrator.zip But please also read this discussion about the issues you might encounter: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/2521/
  • Options
    some readme inside zip would be nice shouldnt migration scripts be included in addon page?
  • Options
    In theory yes, but it's not really an addon, and as you may have noticed it's very raw and very basic. I really just made it to do a job for someone months back and it's kinda grown since then. It still has a long way to go really. Readme is probably a good idea, but it goes somewhat like this: Backup existing phpBB tables, install vanilla into same database, run migration script in the order it's listed (after setting up any config stuff in mysqldetails.php)
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Minisweeper,

I've got the latest migrator 0.5eB downloaded today and vanilla 0.9.2.6 installed. All data in same db but no love when running migrator.

I have all mysql info correct in mysqldetails.php. When I run each script I receive Number of Errors 0 but also 0 rows migrated.. any thoughts?

UPDATE:

I didn't input the database name in the mysqldetails.php. I didn't see it at first. Doh!
  • Options
    Ok migration went without a hitch. It's important to note that your phpbb_categories shouldn't have any ' symbols or the migrator script will error out.

So, I upgraded the 0.9.2.6 install to v1 without an issue or so I thought. I have BetterBBCode and HTMLFormatter extensions installed and I seem to have an issue with my french speaking forum not displaying accent characters. I think that's the correct term. See here..

http://www.davediamondonline.com/test-vanilla/?CategoryID=21

And, for some reason hundreds of comments start with and end with right in the body of the text, literally. See here..

http://www.davediamondonline.com/test-vanilla/comments.php?DiscussionID=154&page=1#Item_3

Any ideas?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the accent character issue is something to do with the charset of the forum and not the migrator so that doesnt worry me too much. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on it though - it's probably a simple case of changing the headers but i'm not sure. (do new posts with those characters in do the same?) Those html tags are somewhat strange. I'm not sure if that's some phpBB behaviour - i dont have the code on this pc but i'm 99% sure the migrator doesnt add anything like that and wouldnt do it by accident - which makes me think that perhaps phpBB encloses html formatted posts in those tags? That's a guess though.
  • Options
    Hi there Vanilla-ers, I'm a newbie here and just trying to quickly customize an installation of Vanilla and transfer over all of our sections, posts, members, etc... from phpBB. I had a friend translate this thread for me into laymen’s terms and he stated that it'd be best for me to Install Vanilla 0.9.2.6, then the migrator, then upgrade to version 1 and hope for the best. And to be honest, my clue as to how to do this is just shy of the slightest. So my questions: 1) Where can I find Vanilla 0.9.2.6? 2) Any directions or prayers for a designer who's programming knowledge involves CSS and dozens of acronyms from other languages? 3) Has anyone tried to do what I think I'm going to try to do, and how'd it go? We are months and months behind schedule with thousands of dollars blown on an inexperienced developer and lost time and energy that we'll never get to see again. And I have to try and get this installation of Vanilla, along with the rest of our site, live in the next 48 hours so we don't lose the slight remainder of interest we have left for this project. So if anyone has a third arm, or a few moments to spare, any direction or hand-holding assistance would be infinitely appreciated. (You can't get more appreciative than infinite). Thanks.
  • Options
    Hah. I didnt think about the hurdle of finding 0.9.2.6. I know Mark has it online but i dont know if he wants people to know about it. In the meantime I'll let you use this which i believe is a working version. You shouldnt need much or any programming knowledge, installing vanilla is always easy enough (hopefully!), and then you just need to upload the migrator to your server, edit the details (mysql connection etc) in mysqldetails.php, browse to it in a web browser, and then just click the links in order. Then you need to wipe out your vanilla 0926 files, replace them with the v1 files, and run the upgrade script. You should be set to go after that. Davediamond appears to have done roughly what you are and as you can see he didnt have any major problems (just some funkyness with his forum)

Give it a go and let me know how it goes.
  • Options
    Thanks Mini. Sorry for the delayed response, but we are going to give that a try today and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes, and document the process for anyone else trying to do what I am.