Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options
    Everything worked like a charm for us Mini. Seemed to freeze a few times with our big database, but in the end it all transferred fine, and with the bbcode extension enabled, all of the imported tags from phpBB converted perfectly. Thanks again.
  • Options
    YAYYY!! Everytime i open this thread now i dread it being another bug! :D
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the accent character issue is something to do with the charset of the forum and not the migrator

yes, that's true. i migrated from phpbb to vanilla with 0.9.x, and had no problems, but after upgrading to vanilla 1, all ä, ö, ü and ß turned into ?
  • Options
    Hi, i have not much knowledge of php and sql syntax but i managed to migrate my phpbb sql dump to vanilla v1 on my win xampp testbox. Minisweeper script: getting the users: no problem, 0 errors import categories: omg that was .... no comment on that but i managed it. It just took me 5 hours to find out that i had to change something in Minisweepers categories.php on line 31. I think somebody changed `phpBBforumid` , `Name` , `Description` , `Order` in vanilla 0.9.x.x to `phpBBforumid` , `Name` , `Description` , `Priority` in vanilla v1. After i changed this finally some values where written in lum_categories. I don´t know if this workaround is acceptable as the script was still spitting errors but it seems to work on my install. import of discussions and comments: 0 errors Now i just have got only one problem to solve before i can go live with vanilla v1. It is impossible to edit the imported comments title, i don´t know if it is a bug or if i have to adjust some userrights. I log in with my admin account and all i can edit is the comments text.
  • Options
    Interesting. If you make a new admin user can you do it with that?
  • Options
    i just created a new user, called him newadmin, i logged in as "Admin" and set his role to "Administrator". Logged in as newadmin, wrote a test comment, logged in as Admin and could edit newadmins comment title and text. I also installed the memberlist add-on and realized that every phpbb user is "Administrator" Could somebody give me a line of sql code to alter all users to "member" role but keep user id 1 "Admin" as "Administrator"?
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    try... UPDATE `LUM_Users` SET `RoleID`='3' WHERE `Name`!='Admin' Should work unless i'm thick...
  • Options
    UPDATE `LUM_User` SET `RoleID`='3' WHERE `Name`!='Admin' ok,now i have got one Admin, exactly how it should be. But i still can´t rename imported phpbb comment titles. Just to be sure because i´m still new at vanilla, if i want to alter a comment titel i have to edit the very first post, right?
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Yeah. It seems that you can't do it with your imported admin though. I'm not sure why. Someone else reported this... If anyone can work out how i'd be interested. Can you edit non-imported discussions? i.e. new ones?
  • Options
    Yes, i can edit new comments. I asked a friend to register an account. I could edit his comment and also the title of that comment. This might be really a bug, its ok for me because 99% of all imported phpbb titels are fine, i have got only some weird encoding bugs but i can´t tell you why, I´m a htlm/php/sql amateur.
  • Options
    OK. Here is a stab in the dark: what if we have a vanilla forum already, upgraded to 1.0. And we want to cross over posts from a phpbb forum. What would have to be done for this dream made of hope and sticks (and duct tape) to work?
  • Options
    Um. I'm not sure. It might actually work. BACKUP YOUR DATABASE and try it? You might need to apply the fixes some people have talked about in this thread to migrate to v1 though. And i wouldnt suggest it if you're not willing to get your hands a bit dirty.
  • Options
    It works fine thanks. But the the breaks do not convert =S .. example: - in phpBB hi this is a test this is a second one. - in Vanilla hi this is a test this is a second one. cheers.
  • Options
    well, from what i read, people are installing vanilla < 1.0, and running the converter. would i have to downgrade my version to do it?
  • Options
    No idea about that breaks issue unless you're using some funky encoding. I dont recall that problem before? I'm not sure it's possible to downgrade is it?
  • Options
    Ok. Well, I couldn't get it to work with 1. It was just one issue after another. So, I created a new directory and put vanilla .926 in there, installed it, overwrote the main pages with the migrator, then upgraded to version 1. All seemed ok. A few issues: categories transfered over, however the discussions connection to those categories did not transfer for whatever reason. This was ok, though - as I didn't want to have categories anyways and disabled them. The main issue is that my phpbadmin name transferred over, including all references to the posts that i had made on phpbb. However, vanilla had me setup a new admin name, and even though i named the two the same, figuring that would take care of it, it infact just created two users with the same username, and caused major problems with loggin in, etc. Had to then just chanage the new user to another name, and then make the old user a master admin. A few headaches and sighs, but the final sigh was the best - a sigh of relief. So, all is well, until the members start populating it and finding problems for me, per the norm : ) Thanks for the script.
  • Options
    Yeah - the having 2 users who are the same real person but not being able to merge them is the only thing which was putting me off suggesting you do it. Course you could just run a query to set all your old posts poster ID's to your new user id. Glad something's working for you anyway.
  • Options
    I am currently going through the very slow and irritating process of migrating some 110,000 posts from YaBB to phpBB, all simply as the first stage of THEN migrating from phpBB to Vanilla. However, I've got myself a very nice and tidy V1 setup now, just waiting to have its database pumped full of hot data, and now I finally read that the migrator doesn't work with V1! Argh! Awesome work so far, but do you have any plans of updating the migrator for v1? If so, any idea of when?
  • Options
    Nope, No plans I'm afraid. Migrating to 0.9.2.6 then upgrading does work though... If you backup your v1 files (I'm assuming it has no data in it), then install 0.9.2.6, then run an upgrade, then put your old v1 files back over the top, it should work and end up in your v1 being the same as it is now.
  • Options
    clever, mini!