Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• yes, i have 12k members, roughly 120k posts, and am expecting it to be properly un-plain sailing. of course, i'd be happy to whittle these numbers down slightly before porting, but not that much, heh.
  • I'm having a few problems migrating my forum, almost all of the phpBB tags are appearing with some strange numbers/letters, like so:- [b:a5ab13a41c]Adventures[/b:a5ab13a41c] -- A couple of pages back this was discussed, but I couldn't make out any conclusion? -- I'm not very code-leiterate. phpBB uses two types of quote, I've noticed that type where you specify the user your quoting from doesn't migrate successfully:- [quote="Ao"]This is the quote from Ao[/quote] -- where, [quote]This is the quote[/quote] does. Lists also don't migrate; in the phpBB they are generally formatted like this: [list][*]Point One [*]Point Two [*]Point Three[/list] If its too complex to migrate this feature, would it be possible that the tags be completely removed from the message body? Thats all the problems i've come across so far, apart from that guy this is great!
  • Does anybody know how I can remove the strange numbers/letters (the post uid), would it be possible for someone who programs PHP to make a script like those included in the migrator, something like phpedi_remove.php, which i could upload and execute? This would be so much help, and I'd be able to get Vanilla running for my project...
  • Something like:
    $str = preg_replace("/\[(\/?)(.+?):[\dabcdef]+?\]/", '[\\1\\2]', $str);
    should work.
  • Sorry if i missed it, where does this line of code go?
  • NickENickE New
    edited February 2006
    Well, haven't actually tried anything, but what I'd do is put it in line 54 of comments.php, replacing $body = $body['post_text']; with $body = preg_replace("/\[(\/?)(.+?):[\dabcdef]+?\]/", '[\\1\\2]', $body['post_text']);
    Although I'm still not 100% that preg_replace()'ll work...
  • edited February 2006
    Cheers for looking after the dudes (better than i could have done, infact) in my absense, sirnot.
    chris: i *believe* the latest version should actually handle that size of database. I'm pretty sure the changes i made to the comments migrator in particular encouraged it to handle any number you could throw at it - users might cause more of a probem because i assumed there would be very few cases where an enormous number of users would need to be moved so i didnt bother making similar changes to the script. I do believe, however, it should handle about 30k no probs (i've had it do that many comments on the old method, and theres a lot less work involved migrating users); though that depends on the server.

bobert - sorry if i've missed it; i've tried reading the forum but catching up with a weeks hyperactive posting while uber tired (i've been up since half 3am (it's half 5pm now)) and travelling a few k miles has left me a little weary so it's quite likely i've missed stuff. - anyway, did you grab the latest version and run the queries the script echo'd with all the variables evaluated and such to see what happened in phpmyadmin?

everyone else complaing about the bbcode bit - through my own admission i suck at regex (and infact coding in general, i really built this thing as a bit of fun practice to try and help out those who needed it) - try implementing sirnot's changes and see what happens. Come back with results and hopefully between us we can work something out for you.
  • my forum was about 200-300 users and 45,000 postings... and it worked quite well (after fixing this little problems i mentioned above)
  • Hmmmm ... might have to try this out. Got just over 800 users and 4000 posts. At least I have the luxury of time to see if it'll work for me! :)
  • minisweeper the Sql pulling the rows from phpbb is fine, yet the migrator is still not working so i edited the users file to view the error produced by each insertion of a user into the vanilla db (because there HAS to be one) by outputting mysql_error. however when i store the resource id of the query and do mysql_error($result) i get Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource you can see more detailed info in the post above
  • All seems to work for me but the categories.php. Get a mysql error every time. Everything else seems to work just fine.
  • Um. Hold on. Can i just check now that you actually have the full vanilla tableset installed? You need that before you use the migrator and it needs to be in the same database as your phpBB tableset.
  • if that question was for me, the vanilla installtion went just fine. is there a query i should run for you to verify
  • edited March 2006
    Ok. Try grabbing the latest version 0.5e here and see what insert queries it's echoing.
  • that link doesnt work. went to http://www.int0rw3b.com/migrator.php and just got a 404 error
  • touche. Fixed.
  • Hi there! I followed your link to the migrator... you a little error on your categories.php file... at around line 36: $insert = mysql_query($inserquery); the argument the mysql_query should be $insertquery.. just a missing "t". By the way, nice work on the migrator. But phpBB posts using BBcode will not be translated into its equivalent form.
  • Thanks for the heads up. Changed that on the download. And yeah, i know, regex and such arent my strong point. If you could implement the code to translate the stuff correctly i'd be more than happy to put it in the download copy :)
  • I think the half-dozen or so regexes in the BBCode plugin should be able to handle that; just run them after import.
  • I'm migrating from another server. I have all of these options to check for my exported database--which ones should I select? Structure only Structure and data Data only Export to XML format Add 'drop table' Complete inserts Extended inserts Enclose table and field names with backquotes