Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options
    0.1 seconds is fine. i've used converters that were about 10 times as slow.

everything else sounds great. if you need anymore phpbb info, let me know.
  • Options
    good luck with ur exam btw gez..
  • Options
    Thanks. Exam was ok, had a bit of a brain block and its the first exam i've ever run out of time in but i think by the end i'd got nearly all the questions so hopefully it'll still be atleast a B.

Outbreak - yeah, i'm happy enough that for even a 10k user forum it'll still take only a couple of seconds. Though i imagine the actual forum migration will take considerably longer as it'l be much more involved. I'm gonna try and keep it as low as possible (say 1 second per 1000 posts) using the very few optomisation techniques i'm aware of though. I'm sure some guys here will be able to help me out on that.

Mark - if you could possibly get on MSN at some point so i can pick your brains again that'd be awesome.
  • Options
    Your next work is to make Invision Board Forum Converter xD
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff

I'm super swamped with work-work. Can you email me? I always find email is actually faster than msn (where I tend to go off on tangents that have no bearing on the actual thing being discussed).

• Options
    hi guys, sorry i totally forgot about this thread!!! looks like it's going well though - nice work minesweeper!!!!!!

let me know if i can do anything to help (not that i can probably, but hey it's a nice gesture!
  • Options
    Haha 3stripe, you can probably do a better job than me. I dont seem to be doing too badly though (till you see how fucked up and messy my code is :))

I've done the category migrator. Now i just need to do discussions and posts. You could say i was half way there.

Mark - an email will be coming your way soon. keep your eyes out.
  • Options
    Right. I've done the Users Categories and Discussion migrators - So far it's taking around 1 second per 1000 users and 3000 discussions (seperately) on my dedicated server. (Categories arent that numerous and therefore unimportant but for the record it takes about 0.01 per 1000)

I'm personally quite happy with this though I'd be interested to see how performance went on a shared hosting platform - eitherway i'm sure if needs be someone with much more advanced knowledge of SQL or probably even PHP could increase its efficiency tenfold.

I'll do the posts tomorrow while i'm avoiding revision - cant see it taking too long but its a matter of me making myself sit down and do it.

HOPEFULLY if I can have a word with mark I'll have it ready for release but I cant guarantee anything :)
  • Options
    Good work, minisweeper ! ;)
  • Options
    oh man, that'd be so amazing if it accompanied the release.
  • Options
    Right. I've done the posts migrator so i think its just about ready. I am slightly concerned that it's taking 1 second per 1000 posts - depending what you guys think i recon it'd definately be worth someone with a better knowledge of SQL optomisation taking a look at it. Eitherway it works which is a good start.

I need to do some tidying up and check through a few bits and pieces and see if theres anything else i can migrate that would be useful but i think the bulk of it is finished.

One thing; how do i convert from the phpBB hex ip's to normal ones? (as a side note mark, i assume vanilla is setup to work with ipv6?)
  • Options
    dude those times sound fine to me... i've only got 200 posts or so to migrate!!!!!

go' on my son!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    yeah, that is really more than ok. great job minisweeper.
  • Options
    edited June 2005
    Hmm. I'm just starting to tidy up the code while i test it out and the times are increasing slightly but i'll keep my eye on them and do what i can.

I've also just realised that technically i can bring through all of phpBB's priv msg's as whispers but i'll have to work that out properly and see how complicated it'd be.

I'm gonna be honest with you; on initial testing it's migrated the data a lot better than i expected with one minor issue - it appears to randomely miss content. And forget to count some of what is there in certain stats. Which is nice :)
  • Options
    any update minisweeper? did you get to fix that bug yet? it seems like you got this one pretty much covered.
  • Options
    Yeah i'm just about finished, i worked out why it wasnt bringing some of the info through so I'm picking Marks brains about it and it should be pretty easily sortable.

Still need to do a major tidy-up Op though.

p.s. I havent even looked at priv vs whisper yet. So yeah...keep waiting :)
  • Options
    Right. After a small amount of help from the genius i've finally got all the data migration sorted and i *think* its working rather splendidly.

Code is still somewhat messy but i think the best thing i can do is pass it onto mark to have a look at my SQL queries and hope he can optomise them slightly (i dont see why they shouldnt be able to be built into a single query in each case and i'm sure this would decrease processing times dramatically).

Then it just needs a bit of centralisation and design to neaten up the user view and it should be ready for pre-release; but i'll keep working with the big man and see how it goes.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff

This frickin dictionary thing is taking longer than I had thought. Man, there's a lot of text on this site. You wouldn't think it, but there is.

• Options
    Haha. Well i was just in the middle of tidying up and i fucked something up..so it could be a while :)

Any chance you could get on msn sometime to have a focussed chat about mysql stuff? I wouldnt mind actually learning a few bits about it instead of just sending you my mess to clean up.
  • Options
    hows progress coming along?