Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    *thumbs up*
  • Options
    Right. I've mailed mark it to work his wicked ways and transform it into a fantastic piece of engineering.
    So i imagine it'l be included in the next release...or whenever he finds time to do it.
  • Options
    nice.
  • Options
    P.S. As it stands its just the migrator - i've put the (slightly edited) bbcode translator thing in so mark can implement it if he chooses to. And it doesnt do private messages -> whispers yet, but either mark or i will probably get round to that..eventually.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff

It probably won't be the next revision since I've got a fully jam-packed social calendar this week / weekend. But it will certainly be out soon.

I am going to have to re-write it so it will be similar to the installer that was in the last two revisions. But the hardest part (figuring out how phpBB is set up and how to translate that to my db) is done thanks to mini :)

• Options
    Social calendar?! Wheres your loyalty!
  • Options
    Hmm, might have to work on something for a vBulletin converter if I have any spare time. Should aide quite a few vB lovers.
  • Options
    heh chris. I can send the phpBB one your way to give you a rough idea of what needs migrating if you think it'd help. I dunno how similar the board are...
  • Options
    edited June 2005
    I'm thinking it'd just be;

users
    categories

Not sure what else would be needed, haven't given it too much thought. But with vB getting more and more features by the day *rolleyes* I'm not sure how hard it'd be to break it all down and just get what I need... but yeah the phpBB one would be nice if you can... chris [at] chrisgwynne [dot] com

Cheers
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Mini - i got and took a look at your bbcode code - It wasn't really turning my crank, so I did some digging online and ended up doing a regex version of your code. And there was a bbcode formatting extension sent out in the latest revision (today).
  • Options
    there's plenty of BBcodes to add to that as well =) or are you just keeping to the basic ones?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff

I only added the ones I was told about.
    If there are others, please do tell.

• Options
    haha mark - i didnt think you would. I've never really experimented with regex so i didnt know of the best way to do it.

I'd be surprised if any of my code turned your crank...most of it atleast does the job though which is as far as i ever got in learning php ;(

Chris - Yeah obviously its only the LUM_User, LUM_Category, LUM_Discussion, LUM_Comment tables (in that order) you can fill but the phpBB thing might just give you a few ideas where to look to get the stuff you need and what cells of those tables you're likely to be able to fill. I'll send it eitherway.
  • Options
    Is the phpbb convertor available for a beta-test yet???

If so I have a nice small-ish php forum running that i would like to test it on....
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Well i sent the code to mark to work his wicked ways on and get it into a nice format for public release, last i heard he'd put it on the back burner and was gonna have a go at it post-release.

If you're desperate in the mean time i can send you my code which will do the job it's just a lot uglier. Depending what mark does you might need to run his version when he's finished with it, though so far as data transfer goes i dont see as he can change it a great deal.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Jstripe, if you have the pre-release of Vanilla up and running, it should be under your extensions section. By default, all extensions are turned off. You'll need to enable them and allow yourself to see the all of the "format comment as (text/markdown...) options Settings > Manage extensions > enable the BB Code extension Account > Forum Prefs > Show the comment format type selector when adding comments (under comments form)
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    same thing right?
  • Options
    nah lech, thats the bbcode formatter, this is the little thing i wrote to migrate data from a phpBB forum to a vanilla setup so people can move between the forums without losing all their stuff.
  • Options
    ok thanks minisweeper, figure i should wait for the official finished version of this....

there is 1 feature i would love to have for vanilla from phpbb... an optional signature for each user... do you think anyone will do a plugin for this...?

(only because my forum is for a club night... so people tend to promote events using banner ad's in their signature....)
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    ahh, alright, my bad :)