HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.1 stable released

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

people didn't know that.

now they should provided they read instructions which are now clearer. Why would anyone install code without reading and understanding instructions (rhetorical question).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @chanh said:
    usually "master" is use as the main release code but in Vanilla "master" is "alpha" and people didn't know that.

I don't agree with this statement. "master" isn't "alpha". It's using on hosted version, but it's not alpha version.
    From documentation:
    "We use master branch for production deploys. Anything on that branch should be ready for immediate release. "

• chanhchanh OngETC.com - CMS Researcher ✭✭

It does not matter what you call it the bottom line is you should not use "master" for production site.

• It does not matter what you call it the bottom line is you should not use "master" for production site.

Good point chanh. Now that 2.1 is out....

If we deal with semantics. the proper download is via http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core

if you use gihub or clone from github, ... you are a "developer" testing things, and by virtue of that. You one should probably read the instructions, no matter how idiosyncratic the versioning is or isn't.

And there lies the rub.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Seems good. You say, theming made easier, eh? Let's see. ))

Oh, and yes,

• @chanh said:
    It does not matter what you call it the bottom line is you should not use "master" for production site.

Yes, I totally agree with you. Just wanted to point out that 2.2 isn't alpha software but software adjusted to use on hosted version, and by that, maybe will never be released (in that version) as official version.

Other problem I see here is that some plugins/themes are developed only for version 2.2 (like bootstrap theme) and that is what's confusing users more.

That Bootstrap theme shouldn't be on download area at all, or at least it should be made for version 2.1.

• chanhchanh OngETC.com - CMS Researcher ✭✭

bootstrap is come with release 2.1

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@smokvinlist said:
    That Bootstrap theme shouldn't be on download area at all, or at least it should be made for version 2.1.

Agreed, and we'll be moving in that direction. Things crept in for 2.2 at a time before we established that 2.2 would never be a release version. The thinking was "oh we'll be on 2.2 super fast so might as well start releasing these for testing". Oops. :blush:

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@smokvinlist Kasper showed up to the office this morning, read what you said, and did this:

https://github.com/kasperisager/vanilla-bootstrap/compare/v2.2.0...v2.2.1

;)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I wish that magic would work on the foundation theme as well ;)

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

EVERYTHING IS MAGIC

/me feeling like Alice in Wonderland

• @smokvinlist said:
    Yes, I totally agree with you. Just wanted to point out that 2.2 isn't alpha software but software adjusted to use on hosted version, and by that, maybe will never be released (in that version) as official version.

I believe they are changing there versioning so even and odd numbers denote either hosted or for the community.

If something is pre beta, it is alpha. It tis not production ready for the wider community.

Just becuase it has been tested for one environment, that is not remarkable, it not stable for the wider community.

The whole idea of using the master branch this way is based on git-flow.

grep is your friend.

• @Lincoln said:

• Made it easier to do translations in more languages by re-architecting our activity stream & notifications

What about Transifex repo, the update will be done?

Currently there are some issues.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@emzi We're working on a Transifex update. It's a little delicate.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@FabulousPanda‌ Looks like softaculous is a go! One less installer to bother :)https://www.softaculous.com/apps/forums/Vanilla

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2014

If you are hitting vendors, please hit the SimpleScripts they are only on version 2.0.18.9 :D

• FabulousPandaFabulousPanda London New

@Adrian confirmed the auto-upgrade went nice and smoothly, thanks!

Just written a comment on http://www.opensourcecms.com/
    Hope they will react soon :)