HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.1 stable released

1235»

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@DeviP Thanks for taking the time to say thanks :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

@JasonBarnabe

if you follow the installation instructions exactly as posted and you have the default theme in your config.php.

it will represent the theme option in the dashboard called "baseline +". this is not apparent unless you read the description of the theme which says

Current Theme
    +Baseline
    +Baselineversion 2.1by Mark O'Sullivan
    The default theme for Vanilla. This theme's purpose is to give the bare-minimum of styling on everything except the forum contents. Our goal is for you to take this theme and customize it by adding your own header & footer.

the snapshot associated with it shows you want it looks like.

do you see the thing that looks like a gear click it - that has a dropdown link to your dashboard.

here is a link to screenshot of default theme (baseline) : which is how it views on a proper install.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/2.1/themes/default/screenshot.png

Bittersweet theme has a bit more to it. and there are other themes in the add-ons section.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

the readme here - needs to be rewritten - it is not accurate and is misleading. especially the advanced part.(master views)

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/tree/2.1/themes/default

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@JasonBarnabe Thanks, I'll add a note to the readme about mbstring. The Baseline theme does indeed have a screenshot. It's at /themes/default/screenshot.png in the download.

@peregrine Would be a good issue to file. I'm sure everyone's forgotten that other README is even there.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@peregrine I should check my email before getting on the boards. Thanks for filing it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

perhaps adding these to install and readme instructions.

helpful php and apache settings for vanilla

tip by:JasonBarnabeJasonBarnabe

who got this errot

Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in /mypath/library/vendors/simplehtmldom/simple_html_dom.php on line 988

I needed to reconfigure PHP with --enable-mbstring to make it work.

--enable-mbstring

solves some problems if view count is not incremented.

you could change this:

in php.ini

magic_quotes_gpc = Off

or via .htaccess

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off

rewriting urls: (pretty)

• mod re-write enabled in apache.

a2enmod rewrite

• and your .htaccess

Original

If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified

RewriteEngine On
      # Certain hosts may require the following line.
      # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.
      # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
      RewriteBase /vanilla
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
      RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

• in conf

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

the troubleshooting instructions could be improved in the readme, the documentation, and the first discussion in this post by showing something like this with the image.

the instructions could be improved by adding an image to the screen similar to

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/208629/#Comment_208629

• Crossposting here from http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/27056/vanilla-2-1-ubuntu-blank-screen-on-first-load-instead-of-setup as suggested.

Installing Vanilla on Ubuntu (and possibly other distributions) - JSON!

JSON support for PHP is packaged separately on some systems and is required for Vanilla to work.

E.g. on Ubuntu, you will need to run:

apt-get install php5-json

(and then restart Apache - service apache2 restart)

Before Vanilla will work without displaying an error screen!

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Just a heads up that the JSON issue is specific to PHP 5.5 as the JSON library was removed from core: http://iteration99.com/2013/php-json-licensing-and-php-5-5/

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• IonmarcuIonmarcu Bucharest

Upgraded my embedded forum to 2.1 with little work but no problems. Congrats for the good work ! Thank you.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

tip #100.

if during an upgrade you run /utility/update and you get "Failure"

disable all you plugins via dashboard (or if you cant do this, then remove all but the 'HtmLawed EnabledPlugins line in the cofig.php)

don't touch this one - leave it. $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';
    anything else that is NOT $Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] you should delete. $Configuration['EnabledPlugins'] you can delete.

• zip up your plugin and theme folders and save them locally to oldplugns.zip and oldthemes.zip in case you want to look at them later.
    • delete the plugin and theme folders.
    • re-copy the plugin and theme folders from the downloaded vanilla zip.
      • get new plugins and themes from the add-ons or github
        if necessary.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

If you run /utility/update and get Failure, first try running it once or twice more before troubleshooting further, especially if you have a larger site. It could just be a database timeout.

• @Kasper said:
    Just a heads up that the JSON issue is specific to PHP 5.5 as the JSON library was removed from core: http://iteration99.com/2013/php-json-licensing-and-php-5-5/

More licensing stupidity. Why take issue over a clause that can't even be determined in civil action after 12 years of ignoring it?

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@x00 said:
    More licensing stupidity. Why take issue over a clause that can't even be determined in civil action after 12 years of ignoring it?

Sounds like you don't have any principles! ;)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:
    Sounds like you don't have any principles!

Really...?

I have moral principles, but I also understand legal principles which are a different concept altogether.

I'm also a pragmatist. The good and evil clause whist stupid and unenforcible, they are entitled to make I suppose. On the other and I favour permissive licenses.

If you define evil as corporate protectionism, you aren't going to stop it with more protectionism.

The point is why take issue now? After all these years.

I think a lot of people are quite naive about licensing ideology in general.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Please excuse my joke.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.