Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• edited November 2006
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number 244 in the Series...
    The Microsoft Mentality
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Who else but Microsoft would pay $1.00 for every Zune sold to compensate recording companies for their revenue losses due to piracy?

What else but the Microsoft mentality would automatically assume you, their faithful lemming customer, are obviously a thief because you bought their music player?

Nitrozac & Snaggy over at Joy of Tech sum it up nicely.

pic
  • I don't care for Macs, but I love my iPod.
  • Same thinking that created the iPod and its OS went into creating the Mac and OS X.

Ask yourself why you love your iPod?
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    Additional things I have learnt from this thread, thanks to yet more excellently insightful comments:
    • All PCs are beige, ugly, and very noisy. And of course looks are without a doubt the most important factor you should consider when purchasing a new computer.
    • Wanderer is not "techie and boring" at all.
    • ... he's also seemingly never used a Windows based PC since Windows 95. Nor a Linux one, ever.
    • Wanderer somehow has a wife despite looking like a paedophile judging by his picture
    • Microsoft are very bad people for helping to compensate the music industry, and anyone who owns an iPod has by default never illegally downloaded music in their life.
  • Get it right blizeH:
    PCs are ugly and boring by nature and design, not just to look at.
    Noisy fans are ugly to listen to as well (or do you enjoy the modern equivalent of the Chinese water torture?)
    It's my teaching style that's not "techie and boring" according to my trainees.
    Nope never Linux, neither does the regular, man-in-the-street user (although I dabble in UNIX).
    Unfortunately I'm forced occasionally to use XP (but I was my hands straight away).
    I never mentioned the iPod, Microsoft and stealing music in the same sentence. (It was the Zune and Microsoft mentality compensating the music industry because all Zune owners according to MS are thieves.)

Try as you might to deny it, it is what it is.
  • How about you get it right Wanderer? Not one thing you've typed has been anything but hyperbole.
  • Wanderer, you live in Melbourne. Go outside, take a deep breath and enjoy it.
  • "c-unit... fire up Applications/Image Capture Use Image Capture menu -> Preferences Tell it to open no application." Sounds like a PC Mentality that I have to fix a problem that never should have come up in the first place, no?
  • TomTesterTomTester New
    edited November 2006
    Reading this thread I can't believe we all talked Wanderer into sticking around... :D

Time to go walkabout...
  • You do know that they are about the same... there are just more pcs out there so thus there are more ppl trying to hack them and more software that doesnt quite have all the flaws fixed. BTW not all PCs are beige and loud... I have a multiple custom computers and i cant hear one of them unless i am burning a dvd or something that actually uses a high speed motor. My server is running xp pro, and I havent "had" to restart it or do any kind of OMG it crashed fix since I got everything installed. It has been running for months solid and is the sql database for 3 websites the http for 1 and the ftp for 2. It is also my home file server. So dont judge it based on the average. BTW what % of the world uses Windows or Linux? What percentage uses Mac? Who knows, you cant get enough ppl in a room that will stand up and proudly say they do...
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    "that was waaaaaaaay off. cause that same PC will work just fine with ipod and itunes. Itunes 7 created lot of problems for people as well. Shit happens when ur launching a new product.
    be reasonable now."

Agreed. And, strangely enough, someone decided to make a website that illustrates that issue: NSFW
  • edited November 2006
     Quote: c-unit  Sounds like a PC Mentality that I have to fix a problem that never should have come up in the first place, no?
    Yup, obviously your PSP is telling OS X it's a camera? And if this is what we call a major OS X problem we're not doing too badly are we? Clutching at straws people, keep clutching.

The rest of the comments are so way off point, irrelevant and obtuse that I won't dignify them with a response, damn I just did!
  • I like the way you inserted the word major there. Very clever. It's as if you're trying to twist peoples words. "The rest of the comments are so way off point, irrelevant and obtuse that I won't dignify them with a response, damn I just did!" Well we responded to your comments so it's only fair you give us a proper response rather than to take the cheap way out and say they're not worth of a reply. That's just smacks of someone who has nothing substantial to counter a point with.
  • I refer to PC zombies, drones and lemmings and you guys cack your pants and put a contract out on me.

Microsoft calls you thieves and you not only sit there and take it but you defend them!

There really is no hope for the planet.

I suppose that's unfair of me given the frontal lobotomy thing. Can one read text this small after such a procedure I wonder?
  • NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    It sure seems hard to hold a debate with Wanderer without it degrading to insulting the others' intelligence...
  • "Hold a debate" ?

Are you reading both sides SirNot?

Do I add "no sense of humour" to the PC mentality?
  • I'm still waiting for an mature adult reply that doesn't resort to petty name calling and pigeon holing of people. Until then your comments are worth a big image
  • NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    @Wanderer:
    Yes, and from the looks of it all you do is snobbishly generalize, insult people and try your darnest to tick others off.

And you can always say 'but it was just a joke' about anything, but that dosn't necessarily make it 'all in good humor'. (eg. 'Oh, when I yelled a bunch of racial slurs to that black person over there, it was just a joke, I didn't really mean them or anything') There's a fine line between insulting people and joking, especially when one takes the ambiguity of written text into account.
  • Wow giginger that was mature!

Read back and see all the mature comments I copped.

Read back and see how many of my serious, pertinent and sincere comments were ignored because they were spot-on the money.

The only replies seem to be whining about being put down and called unintelligent, if that's mature then grow up mate.

If you want a debate, address the issues with facts and big-picture statements, stop the whingeing and get on with it.

If you don't get the humour, try changing your perspective, enjoy the banter.
This discussion has been closed.