Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• "And if you are getting bored, don't read the discussion, better yet, do you know what the block user gadget does?"

He might but it looks like you dont...?
  • I was suggesting HE block ME if he's so bored with the discussion. pic
  • I dont really care who's blocking who, do you know what it does?
  • Obviously not, another example of the PC mentality not taking into account useability in interface.

Silly me, I assumed it would block all my comments from the discussion, how I got that from "block user" I'll never know.

I guess it was over my head. pic
  • Yeah, hopefully now that Mark has a Mac he'll re-write Vanilla so that it's a little more user friendly and has a more attractive interface.
  • Hmmm, nice thought blizeH but remember, it's the attitude, stance and perspective as well, not simply the tool.

Having said that, from what I've seen, I'm sure Mark's a Mac user at heart!
  • If you have an alternative suggestion...

For the record, it doesnt actually block the comments because then you'd have some really hard to follow discussions.
  • You're priceless wanderer. You really are. You see, you're stating overheating as being a reason to not use a pc but i remember that earlier this year there was a problem with macs overheating. Whilst i'm at it I might mention use discolouration issue suffered too. The thing is too, your friend built their own pc. They didn't choose their components well enough so it's their fault the pc didn't work properly. Macs are built to be the same as all others in that range. You don't custom build a mac. You might chuck some ram in but you don't buy a case and then choose each component. You just can't make that a valid comparison.
  •  Quote: giginger  You just can't make that a valid comparison.
    I can and I will because my world is full of morons who either build or buy a pre-built PC that ends up full of problems, over-heating was just one example. None of the Macs I've owned, and there have been may, none of the Macs I've been involved with, and there have been many, ever played up. (Except for the one that caught fire but that's another story:-)

I'll say it again (and I'm typing this slowly so you don't miss anything...) it's not the PC itself I'm talking about, it's the mentality of the people who buy and use a PC and accept the status quo without question and keep coming back for more crap.

For example: People complain about the hoops they have to jump through to register Windows and apparently Vespa has some new twists and obstacles for you to jump over, yet they keep doing it, why for crying out loud?

Because they are drones and lemmings and can't -- or refuse to -- think for themselves.

My cousin has poured over $3000 (Aussie bucks) into his PC black hole, when I mentioned he could have a brand new iMac for much less than that, still run all his PC games as well as have the experience of OS X to boot (pun intended) he was still not convinced. Does Windows come with a free fontal lobotomy or what?

Now I don't give a flying [expletive deleted] what OS or hardware he runs (he's a data entry dude, not a creative bone in his body) but I cannot understand why an intelligent all-growed-up person would put up with this over and over, yet I see it all the time. What is it with you dudes accepting this, and don't tell me your PC is perfect because you're not fooling me and if that's what you think (and believe) you are fooling yourself.

Can't remember who complained about my writing style, sorry I couldn't find an icon of a posy to decorate my comment with.
  • What would you say if i said I'd had my laptop since march, reboot it about once a month, have never reinstalled it, use it for anywhere up to 16 hours a day, take it pretty much everywhere i go, knock it around carelessly, and have it running fine the entire time?
  • That you're a soulless drone devil being mind-washed by all that is evil. That's just a guess though.
  • edited November 2006
    Great Minisweeper, I'm happy for you, although I have no idea what applications you run on it. And clearly, you don't fall into the user-type I'm referring to.

I regularly have at least 12 applications running continuously, not light-weight apps either.
    All the time up:
    • Photoshop
    • InDesign
    • Illustrator
    • GoLive
    • Safari
    • Firefox
    • BBEdit
    • Mail
    • Interarchy
    • iChat
    • Audio HiJack Pro
    As required up:
    • SoundEdit
    • GarageBand
    • Acrobat
    • Word
    • Excel
    • PowerPoint
    • ImageReady
    • Flash 8
    • Keynote
    • iMovie HD
    • iDVD
    • and the list goes on...
    It runs 24-hours a day although it travels in sleep-mode on my Yamaha or in my car.
    Always online either via ethernet or wireless (built-in Airport)
    Only reboots for system updates or application updates which force it to.
    Have not had a system freeze all year (since I stopped alpha-testing for the developers at work).
    I don't treat it roughly because it holds its re-sale value better without scratches or dents.

Quote: c-unit  That you're a soulless drone devil being mind-washed by all that is evil. That's just a guess though.
    You beat me by 7 seconds, and yes, you are getting the picture :-)
  • It's like reading an incredibly bad joke. It's actually making me less inclined to buy a mac. I was pretty much decided on getting a mac mini for general day to day use and turning my pc into a fileserver situation, maybe even a media centre pc. Now i think i'll just build a new pc for that. I built my own pc and i've had oo problems with it at all. Except for that time of the powercut but i'm pretty certain that wasn't the fault of microsoft. Thanks for helping decide not to get a mac wanderer. You've saved me becoming a one track mind idiot who refuses to accept anyone elses opinion.
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    Things I've learnt from this thread:
    • Mark was very thoughtless in creating this software on a Windows platform, just imagine how awesome it would of been if he'd made it on a Mac!
    • PCs completely suck because Wanderer's friend tried to build one and didn't do it properly so it over heated! Man, I hate those stupid PC things.
    • If you use a PC, you suck at design, period.
    • Macs run every single piece of software ever created far better than a Windows or Linux based PC ever could, they're far more stable, far more powerful, have better compatibility with software and the fact it doesn't have as many viruses has absolutely nothing to do with the fact people really couldn't care less about Macs.
    Very enlightening, thanks Wanderer!
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    ROFL, this thread makes me feel kinda like this... image
  • blizeh: you forgot the part where you morph into some soulless zombie the second you touch a PC
  • Great, finally, my work is done.
    (Proving PC users only hear what they want to hear which is why they are like lambs to the slaughter for companies like Micro$oft.)
    Do you guys also shoot the weather girl when she says it's going to rain on your picnic?
  • No because chances are she's wrong anyway...funny that, isnt it?
  • when is Ellen feiss coming back
  • Touche Minisweeper, are you sure you're not a closet Mac guy?

Actually I've just been listening to a discussion about the Mac TV ads and how the PC guy is liked because he's cute and sneezes and falls over a lot and the Mac guy is abused in the streets because he's seen as smug and full of himself and a little annoying.

I'm not sure they are right when they say the ad has backfired on Apple because people are identifying with Mr PC because I like the ad and Apple are smarter than that.

It's a little scary however as I come to a realization that I tend to behave a little like the Mac guy, but that does not make me wrong.

Which brings me back to my original problem, how does one convince you guys you are settling for less than second best?

How does one convince people who put up with, for example, Microsoft releasing a music player which makes all their previously purchased music completely redundant? You're going to have to re-purchase all your music because they said so. And yes, the Zune will sell, the multitudes will come in their zombie-like parade... oh why do I bother.
This discussion has been closed.