Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• Options
    Man IT depts are arcane... talk about opression and fearmongering.

Have fun! My uncle says bet on the horse that empties its bladder the last, because it weighs the least! (or maybe that was for greyhound racing...)
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    Wow there sure are a lot of false, exaggerated and non-specific statements in your 'arguments,' Wanderer. Highly opinionated, too -- 'stylish' for you might not be 'stylish' for me. And what the heck do you mean with 'boring'? I fail to see how zipping a file could be exactly what one would consider 'exciting' in the first place. You know, maybe you should learn a little more about PCs before attacking them with falsified, outdated arguments (just because some IT department uses old equipment and shareware apps dosn't mean that's the only way of doing something).

Like jimw said, computers are tools, and different people prefer different types of tools; it all boils down to your own preference. I like PCs, you like macs. Mayhaps it's prime time to come down from up there and realize that just because something works best for you dosn't mean it's best for the world.
  • Options
    blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    I can't believe after all of these posts no one's still presented us with an (even semi) valid reason of why Macs are better than PCs.

I did lol at that zip reference though!
  • Options
    Because the anti-aliasing is so delicious!
  • Options
    because blizeH what ur looking for doesn't exist. Its not like macs have this one piece of alien technology that will make ur life easier. Its small things here and there. the way things work, and interact, integration between apps etc. all that makes the mac experience better.
    i can't give u ONE thing, cause there isn't one. there are many small things that collectively enhance the experience.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    http://cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20060513
  • Options
    Wallphone that logic is pretty lame. So its less reliable and vulnerable because it sells more :S Honda and Toyota make the most reliable cars and they sell more as well. how come? MS logic dictates that since Toyota sells a gazillion cars, it should be the least reliable and full of crap. I wonder how come thats not the case. So the mess IE has created was not because MS refused to actually follow the standards. but because its used more. right? If IE didn't have the dominant market share all web problems (non standards compliance, security etc) would not have existed. right? Things are broken, unreliable and vulnerable because they sell more. right? Since when did selling more became an excuse of incompetence.
  • Options
    If anyone out there knows what the keystroke combo to create a New Folder in WinXP is, I'd love to hear it. Even if I have to add it, I'd love to know how.

In Mac OS X it's Shift-Command-N. This is actually wrong. It should be Shift-N like the command was in OS 9. Shift-N by default opens a new Finder window. So I use Menu Master (unsanity.com) to change it.**

Yet, I can make a new folder with a keystroke command. That used to be a forte of Windows (menu commands having keyboard mappings).

Does this make Macs better than PCs? No. Huh? What are you talking about? I just wanted to know how to make a new folder in XP without having to wait 5 seconds for the right-click contextual menu to show up! :P

Actually I do think Macs are better than PCs. Here's a few reasons:

The Mac OS has been getting better and better with each release.** Faster even on older hardware. Major structural improvements, the underpinings of future innovations. Vista is still in the holding pen. That after having its feature set hacked apart worse than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Better security: Not that if you know what you're doing on a PC you can be clear of viruses, etc. as has been validly pointed out. Rather, it is very easy to get a PC to such an infected state that the quickest and easiest option is just wiping the HD and reintalling. There is an argument to be made for some people being too dumb to know how to use a computer. Nevertheless, OS X has been out there for years now and we're still short of any credible virus on the platform. (This latest Symantec PR move doesn't count. Die, Symantec, die.)

"Oh, but you just wait till Macs are everywhere, then someone will write a virus and take them all out." Mmm-hmmm... How is this supposed to happen when everyone knows Apple is going to go out of business, why, any week now? Like they have been for over two decades. Same old story.

The lack of having to deal with the PC virus/worm/spyware universe just adds to an already good experience on the Mac of using a computer.

Uninstall an app on the Mac: drag the application icon to the trash. Empty trash. Gone. Uninstall an app on Windows: run the uninstall program and hope it doesn't delete anything needed by another app.

Windows: "There are unused icons on your desktop." "There are unused icons on your desktop." "There are..." and any number of nagging system messages. "The option you selected will do action X. Do you want to do this?" Yes. "Are you sure?" Yes! "Are you really sure?" Yes, damnit!

They once thought Clippy was the future. I could stop right here. :P

With the Intel Macs, install Windows and dual boot (or use Parallels and run side by side). Play games and do the things you must or are terribly used to in Windows. Then switch to Mac and play around. While you're at it, bring your two buttoned mouse along for the ride (don't fall for that Mighty Mouse nonsense). You have two computers for the price of one (well, one and an overpriced Win OS). After a bit in both worlds, ask yourself why you kinda like the Mac side now. ;) Really, you start using it and what the hey why use anything else?

**The Mac Finder, while still good overall is sadly not there yet. Apple really dropped the ball in the move from OS 9 to OS X. Trash is still the removable drive eject, when it would have been very easy with everything being changed to separate the two functions, say, into two different icons. They force that damn Dock on you and you can't get completely rid of it. And it is very difficult though not impossible to theme. I've bought it and it's mine now Apple. Let me do what I want with it. Thank you.
  • Options
    Bear said "clippy". That's just funny right there. Something that comes to mind with bootcamp/parallels is wondering how necessary they will be come the 10.5 release. Why, you may ask? Why run the entire win OS, when you can just run the program from OS X? Hmmm...
  • Options
    @c-unit: windows already has aa for fonts, and if it's still not enough for you, you can enable clear type

@pbear: so basically your arguments boil down to: better than old mac releases, better out-of-the-box security, easier uninstalling, and some smaller annoyances. So firstly, annoyances are an opinion (come on, that icons thing pops up like, what, once every three months, then goes away after five seconds?), and can typically be disabled. A lack of keyboard shortcuts can easily be fixed, I'm sure, by a freeware application. Your 'better' argument is in relation to previous mac releases, and not only is that sort of a no-brainer (of course it's probably going to be better than a previous release, why release if it's not?), what's that got to do with windows releases? XP runs quite fast and smoothly on my modest hardware, and has been for years. And a bad uninstaller is the fault of the program in question and its maker, not the OS.

True, for a lot of completely oblivious users it's nice to have out-of-the-box, don't-have-to-give-it-a-single-thought security, but really you only need an ounce of common sense to avoid >99.999% of potential windows problems. Keep auto-updates on, use a decent browser, don't download random email attachments, etc... And besides, there are a heck of a lot more dangers in life than there are in a computer -- eg. cross a street at the wrong time and you're toast, slip on the stairs and end up in the hospital, ... -- so why is it such a big deal to treat your computer responsibly when living is not? Ok, working on a computer might not be as natural as living to many, but just approach it with an open mind and compute responsibly/with common sense and little to no harm can come of it. Personally I prefer to (easily) avoid problems with windows and a) be compatible with the vast majority of games, b) experiment with the win32 api, c) use what I'm most comfortable with, d) install it on the hardware I choose, not what I can buy from Apple, etc...

Furthermore, I thought this was concerning IBM PCs in general and Apple computers. IBM PCs, in this case, are just hardware and don't necessarily have to run a certain OS on it.
  • Options
    "Why is it called common sense when it isn't all that common?" :) It's a user problem but Windows doesn't help.

Some Mac OS releases were not better than the previous version unfortunately (System 7.5 was it? so long ago...). And they were slower on the same hardware. Not that OS X hasn't fumbled. They dropped windowshade and tabbed folders past OS 9 and tried to force everyone to use the Dock. Ugh.

The OS X/Vista features point is that comparable improvements in Vista have been delayed or dropped while OS X has implemented similar things and is improving them. Jury's still out on whether or not Leopard will FTFF.

Minor annoyances are sufferable unless they're attached to common tasks you have to perform all the time. Windows seems to have an inordinate number of such annoyances. This need to confirm actions is one of them that seems to abound.

I still want to know what freeware application adds WinXP keyboard shortcuts. I have to run a Windows box here too!

I have built a few PC systems and I enjoyed it. No problems with viruses, etc. But I've also tried to help ordinary people with plenty of common sense figure out their PC and it's a nightmare. So I still think Macs are better than PCs. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    @pbear: "I have built a few PC systems and I enjoyed it. No problems with viruses, etc. But I've also tried to help ordinary people with plenty of common sense figure out their PC and it's a nightmare. So I still think Macs are better than PCs. :)"

Exactly. The same is true for the nightmare of IT support of ordinary people.

PCs have always been great fun for creative developer (not designer) types just because you can build your own and fool with all the wires (hardware/software). I suspect the very fact the wires have been (mostly) cunningly hidden in Mac UI turns some PC developers off. OSX has closed this gap for the most part. Alas, old perceptions take years to erase. The first Mac OS was closed to satisfy Jobs' control freakishness.

My first PC was ... the first PC. $3,000 bucks for a racehorse - 8088 processor; 64K memory; two (TWO!) 160K floppy-disk drives and a green character-oriented screen. Best of all, Wordstar was only $495. What a leap over the Trash-80 ;-).

My first Mac was ... the first Mac on the first day available. It was a ridiculously underpowered toy I fell in love with instantly. Still have it as a giant paperweight.

My first Amiga was ... the first Amiga. Looking back, it was a dumb purchase but it was a wicked cool little box.

That said, like many, my work life steered my use of hardware/OS. Guess what I used for twenty years and for good reason. Outside design, film, education, etc., Macs were more difficult to use and support than PCs. Then. Not now.

I find PCs too painful to use at this stage. It seems to me that the evolution-replacement of Windows has stalled very badly over the past few years and that OSX is increasing the usability gap in its favor each version. I see nothing which will halt this for the next two years, even (maybe, especially) Vista.

That said, the near-trolling on this discussion has been a real turn-off. I hope it doesn't become a fixture in this forum.
  • Options
    pbear: I read FTFF, and there's only one thing that comes to mind. "One of the most versatile words in the English language is the word, ****" "It can even be used as almost every word in a sentence..." Ahhh... thanks for the grin. Intended or not. ;-)
  • Options
    Having read the last 44 comments in this discussion that i missed while i was away, i'm actually too tired to formulate a decent reply. I'll shorten it to this: Some people like macs, some people like computers. They both have pros and cons. Some are forced to use a particular one and really have no choice in the matter. Purely out of interest, does anyone have any figures for number of pc users vs number of mac users? Using a pc without fucking it up isnt difficult but a lot of people seem to fail to be able to do so...I'm pretty certain there are similar people in the mac world though. And if not I'm also pretty certain it is for 1 reason only: they first used a pc, they barely understand how to use it, why (without being pushed) would they move to a different platform which they understand even less (I dont care how quickly they could learn it was much easier to use, look at a mac screen as an extremely novice pc user and tell me you have a feeling you know how to use it)?
  • Options
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number 43 in the Series...
    PCs are Dumb - Macs are Smart
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    On a PC - Creating a PDF...
    1. Buy a shareware/commercial utility
    2. Install the shareware/commercial utility
    3. Blah, blah, blah...
    4. Don't really know what else but it's lame
    5. More useless stuff you don't need to do on OS X
    6. Swear at Bill Gates for not building PDF output into the OS

On a Mac - Creating a PDF...
    1. Use File menu -> Print...
    2. Select Save as PDF...
    3. There is no 3!
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    o.0 Um, or you could just download OpenOffice for free instead of buying/using MS Word. Then you're a whopping one click away from exporting it to pdf.
  • Options
    No, in OS X anything you can print you can Save As Pdf man!

I didn't mention MS Word *chokes and coughs*

"...just download OpenOffice..." why not "...just not download anything..."

Why download and install another application you have to keep track of and keep compatible with your ever evolving OS?

PDF output is built-in to OS X like so many other features we take for granted.

System-wide, anywhere, native, by default, always there, no downloading, no installing, it's just there!

It's called elegance, functionality, standard ease-of-use, basic functionality!

This is the essence of the Mac / PC mentality difference.

A beautiful balance of what you provide versus what you charge extra for.

A balance of simple ease-of-use versus complication for the sake of it.

A balance of interface versus technical sh*t just because it's a computer.

Remember, the bulk of users are not super technically minded and surgically attached to their computers, they have a life, they use them for work, fun, education...
  • Options
    In XP you have a 'Microsoft Document Image Writer' which allows you to 'print' anything as a saveable document..similar theory. I expect, ofcourse, some complaints about that being proprietory and not as widespread as a PDF, although i assume any windows computer can open it, and surely any mac can because theyre obviously incredible, so i guess it's not a problem after all.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    *sigh* there are none so blind and deaf as those who refuse to hear and see.

Someone once said: "Mediocrity is the enemy of all that is excellent and functional because it puts excellence and functionality that one more step removed from the masses."

By the way: Anything with "Microsoft" in its name is a piece of sh*t designed with only one prime objective; to keep the PC drones' minds off remembering they are individuals.

A bit like the bromide in the soldiers' tea during WW2 to keep their minds off sex!

You just keep on drinking that tea mates, sex isn't all it's cracked up to be is it?
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    Well considering it's pretty typical to have an advanced word processor of some sort on your computer, it's not exactly like downloading OpenOffice instead of MS Word would be a big deal or something. You'd get a free MS Office equivelent, and in it you've got a pdf exporter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Different OSes cater to different users. Some people prefer to build up their OS features as they need them, whereas others like to have a 'pre-built' system of functionality sitting there to begin with, whether they need them or not. It's the same idea of Vanilla versus something like phpBB or vBulletin; with Vanilla users have to install what they want, but in the end they only have what they need on their forum, whereas with phpbb/vBulletin (clones), users don't have to bother with extensions, but may have extra functionality sitting around they don't need.

By the way: Anything with "Microsoft" in its name is a piece of sh*t designed with only one prime objective; to keep the PC drones' minds off remembering they are individuals.
    O RLY?

Even though Apple is more of a monopoly than MS? You know, just because a lot of people use something, dosn't mean they're not individuals. For example, a lot of people use cars made by Ford (OMG *GASP* THEY'RE ALL USING THE SAME BRAND!!!1111), does automatically mean they're not individuals? No, of course not. Sounds more to me like you're the drone, droning endlessly, mindlessly on with (largely falsified) apple propoganda.

And I repeat, PC != computer w/ MS Windows, you're presuming that just because something isn't using apple their using a MS product.
This discussion has been closed.