Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Low-Cal Vanilla

Comments

• I will add - and adapt - some extensions and see how the YSlow Performance grade go.

without Low-Cal Vanilla:
    - Performance Grade: F (58)

With Low-Cal Vanilla enable, no extension:
    - Performance Grade: B (81).
  • Uploaded version 0.4.2 of Low-Cal Vanilla.
  • This may sound like a dumb Q, but should the folders in the zip overwrite the folders in main root of the forum? or just upload everything in the zip to the /extension/lowcal folder?

The reason i ask is when i go to validate, i still get the same validation issues as discussed here.

It doesn't seem as if the packer has changed.
  • You should put everything in the LowCalVanilla folder, And the 0.4.2 version should validate.
  • I thinkI know what has happened- the old vanilla packer fiels are still being called perhaps. I assue I will need to uninstall those files, and replace them with the oringal vanilla files where necessary.
  • Yep, to uninstall the packer extension you have to put back library/Framework/Framework.Control.Head.php and the appg/* files.
  • Yup, that did it. very nice indeed. Good on you Dinoboff.
  • I'm having an issue/clash with the "Notify" extension i.e. if I enable Low-Cal Vanilla, the Notify extension stops working. Anybody else experiencing the same?
  • Can you try with this fix to Notify: http://lussumo.com/community/?CommentID=77672
  • @Phil01: " if I enable Low-Cal Vanilla, the Notify extension stops working. Anybody else experiencing the same? "

Stop working? LOL. You mean it actually was working on your forum? I am yet to have this happen! Did your notify mod work 100%? or just the notify all hard code tweak?
  • Does the latest version work?

I get this error:
    [Sat Dec 22 22:19:56 2007] [error] PHP Fatal error: Class 'LowCalVanilla_CompressPage' not found in /home/londonfg/public_html/extensions/LowCalVanilla/tools/utilities.php on line 52

Fresh install. Packer not present.

I looked in utilities.php, and it's not there.
    It should be calling library\Control.CompressPage.php somehow to get that class, but I can't see it doing that. It includes the CleanUp class but that doesn't appear to include the CompressPage class.
  • Uploaded version 0.4.3 of Low-Cal Vanilla.
  • Hello, first of thanks for making this add-on. Problem is, I actually find my vanilla forum install runs slower when this add-on is activated which, of course, is pretty odd! I'm reinstalling my forum and trying it before adding any additional add-ons to see if it has been myself or an add-on that has caused it. Is there a recommended order for installing/activating add-ons and using Low-cal (as in, should one be enabled before the other)? I've eliminated my hosting/server, as other sites, installs and forums seem to work fine presently. I'll keep trying things out at my end and keep you posted but would appreciate any info/advice etc. Also, yes, notify seemed to give up the ghost when I activated Low-cal but, yes also, I've had problems with notify anyway...
  • Sorry if this has been mentioned before but isn't this JS Minifier better than the YUICompressor? Mootools has YUI as a step below this one in its compression options.
  • No, since it will be cached compressed and then uncompressed on every load. Minify and gzip compression is more efficient.
  • I'm sorry, I don't think I quite understand. What exactly is meant by 'Minify' if it's what I believe it is then the one I linked to should work just like the YUICompressor, only better.
  • All remove comments and unnecessary characters like spaces (js-min leaves more feed lines).

Packer and YUICompressor change variable names to make them shorter.

Packer encode the code to compress it. It will be cached by the browser encoded and will be decoded with JavaScript on each load. So the few seconds you can save on download will then been lost by the decoding of the packed js files.

It is more efficient to use Gzip to compress your files. Browsers will cache the decompressed version of your files.

An other difference is that Packer and JS-min only use regular expressions to do their job and can misinterpret the code. YUICompressor use Rhino, Java implementation of JavaScript.
  • OK, I think I understand now. Thanks ^_^
  • Hey all, I've actually found a significant improvement from re-installing my forum and clearing out the clutter of tried and abandoned extensions. I'm not yet using Low-cal but will see how things progress.

Notify is working for me fine now too.
  • Removing unused extensions shouldn't increase performance anywhere other than the Extensions page in the Settings tab. If the extensions are active then removing unused ones will increase performance but other than that you can just deactivate your unused extensions...