Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

BlogThis

Comments

• Yes, I'm aware of this issue. I just use [ img ] tags. Did inline images with the "Blog" extension?
  • I haven't tried it with the regular Blog extension, only with your BlogThis. It's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if it worked the same in blog as in discussions. Any idea where to begin? Or do you not intend to address the issue. No sweat either way, but I'd like to see if it's possible... if not, OK.
    Oh, and I checked out your bike handling skills... you are very accomplished at trialsin. The Vanilla forum I'm working on is a bicycle mechanics Q&A we are using to draw more traffic to our wordpress site for a bike shop. It'll be used as a customer resource and as a repository for our own use and for teaching the young apprentices.
  • The issue pansik's having is caused by line 80:

if (!AppendToConfigurationFile($Configuration['APPLICATION_PATH'].'conf/database.php', "\$DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis';"))

Your "structure" string (as it's called in other extensions) MUST include a newline at the end:

"\$DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis'; "

or

if (!AppendToConfigurationFile($Configuration['APPLICATION_PATH'].'conf/database.php', "\$DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis'; "))

If you don't include that empty newline, it messes up the AppendToConfigurationFile() function in the future.
  • pansik.

You probably need to manually fix your "conf/database.php" file. Cut out all those extra lines and make it look this:

//Comment Table Structure $DatabaseColumn['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis'; // Any other lines that might be there // Any other lines that might be there // Any other lines that might be there ?>
  • Hi timfire, thanks for finding that bug.

My motivations for the project are somewhat selfish - if it's a feature that I need, I code it. If it's not, it gets stuck on my to do list, which is huge. lol. I've updated the code and I'm uploading the bug-fixed version now.

PlayGod, I just setup a test bed to see if I can get attachments working - but I think it's a no go. It's more a case of the Attachment plugin needing to be modified to support BlogThis. I tried to see if there was a quick fix, but I can't see one. It stores attachments on a per discussion basis - which BlogThis doesn't conform to, as it's a collection of posts from multiple Discussions. I'm afraid, linking the images yourself are the only options for the moment.
  • Uploaded version 1.07 of BlogThis.
  • Hey Spode,

Thanks a lot for making this extension; I'm definitely going to donate as soon as I can get it to work!

I'm having a problem though:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.tiff/manusevil/deeb.at/discussion/extensions/BlogThis/default.php on line 82

Admittedly, this is not a fresh Vanilla install as I'm just trying to improve an existing forum. For whatever reason, this works on my local installation, but when I take it online I get this error message (and for some reason it makes my tabs disappear and mucks with every other element of the design).

Also, I'm using the extension with the "Vanbook" theme, I don't know if that causes the problem. Again, it works on my local install perfectly so I doubt it.

Anyways, if its not possible to do this to an existing Vanilla install, how can I do a fresh install without losing all my data (posts/settings/whatnot)?

Thanks!
  • Hi Manusevil,

[quote]$result = $Context->ErrorManager->AddError(&$Context,'','','An error occurred trying to modify database.php, make sure this file is writable by your web server.','',1);[/quote]

I think if you just remove the ampersand from "&$Context", that should fix that error. I don't think it needs to pass the reference to work.
  • Hah! It was that simple, thanks a ton!

Have you ever run into problems using this with the "sitemaps" extension?

Now I get an "Undefined Variable" error pointing to this line of code
    if ($Context->SelfUrl == 'extension.php' && $PostBackAction == 'sitemap.xml') { $Sitemaps = $Context->ObjectFactory->NewContextObject($Context, "Sitemaps"); $Sitemaps->Render(); }

I figure it has something to do with sitemaps not expecting the blog page to be there, but I'm programming illiterate (CS270 in college a year ago maybe) and don't really know how to fix it. I figure others might run into these problems, thought I'd ask.

Where do I donate? :) Paypal?

self-edit: Proving my computer illiteracy is one thing; exhibiting poor forum etiquette is another. This was answered on the first page of the discussion. Re-syncing works if you get this error!
  • What the hell happened?

I tried this thing, it threw up error messages all over the damn place after I enabled it, and now Whispers for some unknown reason are bringing back database error messages in the autocomplete dropdown when anyone tries to type in a username in the field.
  • Well, without being told what those errors are, it's a little tricky to solve :)

If it threw up errors when you enabled it, chances are, your database.conf file wasn't writable.
  • Yeah, sorry, I had a few beers in me when I posted that, grumpily.

$DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis';

with the fourth one followed by > and the first name that matches

is what appears when the autocomplete tries to work its magic in the Whisper your comments to (optional) field.

The error messages I didn't note -- there were four in what looked like a javascript alert, and an error line at the top of each page as well. I disabled and deleted the extension after that.
  • Looks like the login page and preview pages are also having problems:
    $DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis'; $DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis'; $DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis'; $DatabaseColumns['Comment']['BlogThis'] = 'BlogThis';

also appear there.
  • OK, I edited the conf/database.php, which had those rogue lines in it for some reason. All better, I think.
  • That bug should have been fixed in the latest release (writing the database.conf file wrong). So it could be you were using the old version?
  • Forgive me, for I am new. Where do I put RewriteRule ^$ /extension.php?PostBackAction=Blog , to make the blog the first page? Also, where do I put the other RewriteRule code for friendly URLs? Might be good to specify in the documentation, for those of us who are new to this stuff. Extension's working great though, thanks.
  • in the .htaccess file in your vanilla root folder

if you don't have one, then try this one by Dinoboff in Search engine friendly URL's breaks Extension manager # 10
  • I Don't think that this has been covered, so forgive me if it has ;) Video embedding does not seem to work on the BlogThis 'Blog Tab' Page. Video's do embed in the original post, and can be viewed in the original post, but if that post is 'BlogThis'd, just the URLs show on the 'BlogThis' page. Do you think that this is something that is easily fixed? Thanks
  • miquel: I have one in the vanilla conf folder, is that what you mean? Maybe someone can walk me through this, with specific instructions. I think I am missing some steps, and the last time I altered something without knowing what I was doing I locked myself completely out of some key files and had to re-install. Should it go in that existing .htaccess file in the conf folder? Should it be a new one in the root folder? If so, can I just include the lines indicated by the extension author, or do I need to copy all that other code you refer to in the link? I don't know much about vanilla other than my fresh install and a couple of extensions. I think it would be good to make it clear in the documentation for this extension, exactly where this code should go. Thanks.
  • yes, you are right with the documentation issue.

do you have friendly url's enabled? then you have a .htaccess file in your vanilla folder, don't you?
    if you don't have it, just copy the one i linked before and add those lines you mentioned to a new file and save it as .htaccess in your vanilla folder
    if you have it, it's adviseable to back it up first ;)

i think the one in conf folder prevents users see its contents from outside the server

enough? i hope so ;)