HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.18 (beta 2) is now available

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited June 2011 in Releases
Vanilla 2.0.18b2 is now available!

Beta Version?

We've been working hard on the latest point release of Vanilla and the new version is right around the corner.

In the past we've always just released versions and fixed late-breaking bugs with quick patches. This time we've decided to do a beta release to help get the bugs fixed in a more controlled way.

In order for the beta release to be successful though we need your help with testing. We've been running this code on a lot of our hosted sites for nearly a month now, but we know that additional issues always crop up when the release goes out into the wild.

Here is what we need.
  1. Try out this version on your site. If you are planning on upgrading then give the beta a try. This is the best way to make sure that we don't miss anything.
  2. Use the issue tracker. Github has recently done an amazing job overhauling their issue tracker. It has really helped us manage the issues and schedule them to a particular release.
Download it from the addon site!

This is a feature-filled release which also contains a ton of bugfixes for issues in the 2.0.17 family.

New Features

1. Moderation Tools! Vanilla received some brand new, much needed tools for managing discussions (merge/split) and users (community reporting, user infractions).
  2. Improved Bans! Vanilla now supports a proper ban list, with Name, Email and even IP bans.
  3. Edit/Delete Log! Moderators/Admins can now review post edits and even deletions. This is especially useful when dealing with disputes or punishment.
  4. Inform Messages! Snazzy new growl-like popup information boxes have replaced most of the old form feedback messages. Watch out for them in the bottom left of your screen!

Bug Fixes / Changes

1. Fixed bug #947 - Split/Merge plugin permissions awry?
  2. Fixed bug #939 - Theme preview broken in 2.0.18b1
  3. Fixed bug #938 - Paging not working when 'don't use categories' is checked
  4. Fixed bug #936 - Relaxed category URL character restrictions
  5. ... and 8 other issues

Build History

• 2.0.18b1 - Added moderation, bans, logging. Fixed 50+ bugs.
  • 2.0.18b2 - Fixed 12 bugs.

Reporting Issues

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES ON THE COMMUNITY FORUM

Please report all issues on the GitHub Issue Tracker. Remember to do a quick search through the issues to make sure your issue has not already been added or resolved.

Keeping track of new releases

You can follow our releases by pointing your favorite RSS reader at:
http://www.vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core/follow.rss
This feed will automatically update whenever we release a new version of Vanilla Core.

Troubleshooting the Vanilla 2 Installation

If you run into any issues during the installation, you may see the "Bonk" error screen. In order to get past this screen, you can add the following line to your conf/config.php file:
$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

This will show you a more detailed screen of information about the actual problem you've encountered. Please include this information when reporting issues (copy & paste exact errors, please).

Upgrading Vanilla 2.0 Forums

1. Back up your database.
  2. Back up all of your existing files.
  3. Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
  4. Make sure the conf/config.php from your old version has been copied over to the new version.
  5. Delete all *.ini files in your cache/ folder
  6. Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database: www.yourforum.com/utility/update (or www.yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update)
  7. Visit your forum and test away!
For more help with upgrading, check out the Upgrade Documentation and the Upgrading Tips and Tricks thread.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Comments

• edited June 2011
    this bug is of interest to anyone upgrading that has private sections of the forum where they might not want everyone to be able to view topic/titles/posters/etc.
  • any idea of new or upcoming features to better manage users. I have a ton of users, and a large portion are spam bots. I would love an option to filter users by post count so i could prune users with zero posts.
  • might i add, im not sure if post counts is something vanilla tracks, though visits is.
  • My Forum, 2.17.10, does not want to upgrade, everytime I try upgrading to the better and run the upgrade utility I just get a blank white page, nothing else.
  • Good ;)
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    @leogopal: I think you have a plugin with the T() function in it's description. It's something that shouldn't be done, but was allowed before.
  • I have ALOT of plugins @Todd, is there an easy way to figure out which one, or many, it is or should I deactivate all and reactivate to see which is the culprit?

BTW, thanks for the reply, I would never have thought of that.
    I'd just go into your config and copy all of the 'EnabledPlugins' entries to a text file somewhere and then try again.

We know SEO companion in particular has a call to that.
  • Upgrade but dont work facebook register...
    @Risca, how do you think we can even begin to troubleshoot your problem with just that one sentence?
  • AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited June 2011
    SEO Comapnion was the culprit for me. Now all is fine :)
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2011
    SEO Comapnion was the culprit for me. Now all is fine :)
    @adriansonline You should be able to just take the T() call out of the $PluginInfo array at the top of the file and have it work.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• How did you move the "x new" box next to "started by" text?
    Thanks...
  • hi,

trying to install the 2.0.18 (fresh install) gives me
    ------------------------------------------------
    Can't create table 'db61250007.GDN_Session' (errno: -1)|Gdn_Database|Query|create table `GDN_Session` ( `SessionID` char(32) not null, `UserID` int not null default 0, `DateInserted` datetime not null, `DateUpdated` datetime not null, `TransientKey` varchar(12) not null, `Attributes` text, primary key (`SessionID`) ) engine=innodb default character set utf8 collate utf8_unicode_ci;
    ------------------------------------------------

cheers
  • @Todd this is REALLY weird...

I did as you suggested, I disabled my add-ons, and even removed the enabled add-ons from my config file, I have debugging turned on and I did the update, and Boom!.... Still the blank page. ...with no error message...
    I think you may need to delete *.ini in your /cache folder.
    @peaco, that is a valid query. Do you have appropriate permissions to your database? Can you check if other tables got created?
  • @peaco : you see the errno -1 maybe that will help a bit.

We should have better explanation in this error message though, maybe the real mysql error message string instead of just the error code.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I followed the steps mentioned here to upgrade to beta 2, but now I get the Bonk page all the time. I can't go to dashboard or forum. I enabled DEBUG mode too but don't see any debug information. My forum is here - http://ronakg.in/forum

If I do a fresh install, will I be able to get all the old posts back by using the same database?
  • One more thing I should mention, when I ran the update script, I got the success message but there was another message too which I had enabled on all my pages. Is that normal?
This discussion has been closed.