HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.1b1 Released

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@cools This isn't really permissions being set, it's that permissions are omitted entirely from most of the porters, meaning roles get Vanilla's default Member permissions. Either we can expect that folks with private forums are taking care to not import to a live environment, or we can expect folks can figure out what permissions are appropriate for normal users. Until we revise the permission screen to not be so obtuse, I'm actually more comfortable with the first expectation.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2013

FWIW, I give users 2 weeks to simmer down after a software change. Any change takes that long for folks to get over, whether it's good or bad. Every positive feedback is worth 10x the bad feedback, because only the people who are bothered generally speak up.

• @Lincoln said:
    cools This isn't really permissions being set, it's that permissions are omitted entirely from most of the porters, meaning roles get Vanilla's default Member permissions. Either we can expect that folks with private forums are taking care to not import to a live environment, or we can expect folks can figure out what permissions are appropriate for normal users. Until we revise the permission screen to not be so obtuse, I'm actually more comfortable with the first expectation.

That's fair enough. A note in the wiki advising that permissions are wiped out would be nice - I just tried creating an account to do so but it doesn't appear to have editing permissions to that page :)

I have a question regarding Master. Feel free to call me foolish, but this is the first time I've used git. I did git clone https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden.git vanilla in my development web server folder, then set up the apache2 host to point directly at this folder. Set permissions to the web user, created the database, ran the Vanilla installer. All good. My question is how unwise or otherwise is it to do git pull https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden.git master as an update method?

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@cools said:
    My question is how unwise or otherwise is it to do git pull https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden.git master as an update method?

I'd have it ignore /uploads, /config and /cache , as those are the folders that require altered permissions; something that may reset on pulling from the repo.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@cools I highly recommend keeping your git repo outside your webroot, then running a script to copy the relevant bits to your webroot after a pull.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2013

I pull all my repos to the server, then run a script to push them all to the appropriate directories. This is the truncated version to just show the core repo (I have several repos that go to several sites, and each site also has its own repo which deploys separately). Change '/storage/websites/$i' to your webroot.

#!/bin/bash

# Vanilla core
      cp    /storage/staging/vanilla/.htaccess      /storage/websites/$i
      cp -R /storage/staging/vanilla/applications   /storage/websites/$i
      cp -R /storage/staging/vanilla/js             /storage/websites/$i
      cp -R /storage/staging/vanilla/library        /storage/websites/$i
      cp -R /storage/staging/vanilla/plugins        /storage/websites/$i
      cp -R /storage/staging/vanilla/themes         /storage/websites/$i
      cp -R /storage/staging/vanilla/locales        /storage/websites/$i
      cp    /storage/staging/vanilla/conf/config-defaults.php    /storage/websites/$i/conf/config-defaults.php
      cp    /storage/staging/vanilla/conf/constants.php          /storage/websites/$i/conf/constants.php
      cp    /storage/staging/vanilla/bootstrap.php  /storage/websites/$i
      cp    /storage/staging/vanilla/index.php      /storage/websites/$i
      echo "Deployed core Vanilla to $i"

echo "Push complete"

• @Tama said:
    I'd have it ignore /uploads, /config and /cache , as those are the folders that require altered permissions; something that may reset on pulling from the repo.

Gotcha. I'd do what @Lincoln suggests anyway, but what permissions are required on these directories? I've had a quick scoot through the docs but see no mention of them.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited August 2013

If you're using Apache, the apache user needs read/write. That's all.

I put myself & apache into a group and give the group read/write so I'm not constantly screwing it up when I manually edit or copy things. 775 is fine for that. 755 if apache owns it all.

• Okay, that's great. I 755 everything in there for the Apache user anyway so we're good. Thank you. Off to have more of a play. Haven't found any issues with core nor the bundled addons yet :)

• What version of jQuery does 2.1 use? I have some site tooltips I want to utilize in our forums but they require jQuery 1.8 or higher. I tried updating jQuery.js to the latest version and added jquery-migrate but it was screwing up things all over the site to I backed my changes out.

• Looks like 1.7.2 and they're using it even in 2.2. They're still developing on it, but I would think that if it breaks other stuff, we need to be really careful about updating jQuery, or of course first fix the other stuff with new jQuery before updating the library in Vanilla

• Yeah I was getting weird behavior like when deleting discussions or private messages it would just show a page that said TRUE. I might have to try to fix it myself, I really want to use these

• @Wint said:
    I might have to try to fix it myself, I really want to use these

As soon as you fix it, please give pull requests on gitHub. If you can't fix it, please file a bug report. I know it's not much information, but we need to fix it anyways, so why not with a bug report...

• Certainly. I'm not a Web coder by trade (c++) mostly but I will take a stab at it. Not sure what else is broken but I'll try to shake things loose.

• Well I got it working, apparently where I was putting it before was a problem. Updating class.discussioncontroller.php with this line in the function Index and adding jquery-migrate.js and updating jquery.js with 2.0.3 works fine.

public function Index($DiscussionID = '', $DiscussionStub = '', $Offset = '', $Limit = '') { // Setup head $Session = Gdn::Session(); $this->AddJsFile('jquery-migrate.js'); <-- New line here $this->AddJsFile('jquery.ui.packed.js');

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

lmao what the hell?!! Is that a subliminal message ?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
This discussion has been closed.