HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

CRITICAL: Vanilla 2.1.8 released

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2015

@DavidTanzer said:
    It's tempting to press, but what are the odds that it is correct/safe?

I'm a bit cavalier myself, but if you've just made a good backup, my outlook is always: what's the worst that could happen? Everything breaks, you restore from backups, and then we'll try it again slower, manually. :)

• @Linc said:
    I'm a bit cavalier myself, but if you've just made a good backup, my outlook is always: what's the worst that could happen? Everything breaks, you restore from backups, and then we'll try it again slower, manually. :)

What is version 2.8.1p2? Not the current.

I would avoid the softaculous installers. You never know if they are up to date with updates, or even if they are using a fork.

I remember, someone using one for these installers, and it installed an odd version that was setup like a support forum. As if they had included their own changes in the bundled version by mistake.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks @Linc for the help! Looks like it worked itself out when I ran utility/structure ...
    http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/

I'm so glad it magically worked. Who knows how it did, but I'm glad it did! Thank you so much for all you do to make this awesome software!

• What type of file is vanilla-core-2.1.8p2?

• @x00: Sorry my typo, softaculous is saying upgrade to 2.1.8p2, so they got that right.

I did a couple of tests, which indicate that Softaculous is doing a good job of keeping up with the Vanilla releases:

• I did a fresh install of 2.1.8p2 from Softaculous, and ran a diff against the release tar that was posted here. Exact match. (Except that the the release tar has no config.php)

• Similarly I checked my installation of 2.1.6 (from Softaculous, which has worked without issue) against the 2.1.6 release tar. Matches.

That said, since installation from the release tar is straightforward and raises less questions than using the installer, I'll go from the releases now.

• Where there any schema changes between 2.1.6 and 2.1.8p2?

• @otyugh:

vanilla-core-2-1-8p2.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭
    edited January 2015

I have up-graded to 2.1.8p1: I was nearing to go live and noticed that when trying to post a new discussion, the "Post Discussion" the button is missing or has it been renamed to "Ask a Question" ? I have disabled all my plugins and Applications and tried + baseline and Bitter Sweet themes and it still the same. see photo.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@DenisS‌

Please, start a new thread for issues you find, with a clear title, so that other users who experience the same issue can find it easily, along with any answer.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

What do you suggest Problem with 2.1.8 ? > @whu606 said:

DenisS‌

Please, start a new thread for issues you find, with a clear title, so that other users who experience the same issue can find it easily, along with any answer.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Well the issue appears to be: 'Post Discussion' missing after upgrade?

• Thanks for the info on the file type David. Clearly I'm missing something. When I use wget I end up with:

mike@mystery:~/play$ wget http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip
    --2015-01-25 12:22:27-- http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip
    Resolving vanillaforums.org (vanillaforums.org)... 192.237.151.132
    Connecting to vanillaforums.org (vanillaforums.org)|192.237.151.132|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: unspecified [text/html]
    Saving to: ‘vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip’

[  <=>                                                                                 ] 49,922       135KB/s   in 0.4s

2015-01-25 12:22:29 (135 KB/s) - ‘vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip’ saved [49922]

mike@mystery:~/play$ ls -l
    total 52
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mike mike 49922 Jan 25 12:22 vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip
    mike@mystery:~/play$ unzip van*
    Archive: vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip or
    vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip.zip, and cannot find vanilla-core-2.1.8p2.zip.ZIP, period.
    mike@mystery:~/play$

• After my 2.1.8 upgrade (from 2.0.18.3), everyone's pictures are now showing up as broken links. Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/fNspo7qot Can anyone point me to a fix for this? Or is the only way to get them back asking forum members to re-upload them? Thanks!

• @adrial79 Have you changed the location of your uploads directory and could you check what the src attribute of the image points to? (something like right click, "Copy Image URL")

• Ah yes, good idea. :) I looked in the folder and all the images didn't make the transfer. Luckily I had a backup and am re-populating everything. Looks to be working. Thanks!

• @otyugh I downloaded it through the browser, without issue. Go to the message at the head of this discussion, and click on the link supplied there. That takes you to a page with a button called "Download Now," which will get you the zip file.

• @morepotatoes‌ , I also just experienced the same issue as you, where after going through the update process, my discussions table was totally deleted. I also had the same errors where I needed to delete the index on UX_Tag. After re-running the update script, everything was updated, but my discussions were gone. In their place was the default discussion that shows up on a new installation. Luckily I was able to revert to a server backup, but now I am back at 2.0.18. Did you ever manage to upgrade and also resolve this issue? I'm hesitant to try this upgrade again, and hoping someone else with this issue has found a solution. Thanks!

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited January 2015

@carmolio That really surprises me, there is nothing in the structure update that would truncate/drop a table.

Would you mind sharing the structure of your old discussions table and what plugins you have installed?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2015

@carmolio I would be extremely keen to have a dump of your database emailed to me. Structure-only is fine if you don't want to share the contents. That is a terrifying issue that should never happen.

• luasoftluasoft New
    edited January 2015

hi, i have installed version 2.1.8p2 with $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; in config.php

i got this bug after I open a discussion from My Drafts:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in .../applications/vanilla/controllers/class.postcontroller.php on line 109

what's wrong?