Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Yaga on = Blank page

Using Yaga 1.0.3. It's been working fine for two months, and now all of a sudden broke the whole forum. Every page of the forum and dashboard was blank until I renamed the yaga folder.

How do I even begin to work out the problem here? Database seems fine.

Comments

• Perhaps a separate issue but I'm now also getting bizarre alert messages on some threads when posting or deleting posts.

{"Targets":[{"Target":"#Comment_637405","Data":"","Type":"SlideUp"}],"FormSaved":true,"DeliveryType":"BOOL","Data":"MQ==","InformMessages":[],"ErrorMessages":"","RedirectUrl":""}

• One more thing ... I can't actually disable Yaga now by clicking the 'Disable' button in the dashboard. If I rename the directory it stops working, but clicking 'Disable' just loads a blank page.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

"Blank page" is the default error behavior: http://vanillaforums.org/search?adv=&search=blank+page&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&discussion_question=1&comment_c=1&comment_answer=1&page_p=1&within=1+day&date=

And the default answer is: add $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; to conf/config.php and report the "real" error ;)

And when you get JSON messages, you should check the JavaScript error console of your browser for errors.

• Ah ha

[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) (analyticstick.json, line 0)

• Oh, and Debug is showing me this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/bomberbl/public_html/discussion/library/core/class.configuration.php on line 1159

For the memory size error, you would have to raise the php "memory_limit" but normaly that limit is set by your hoster. You would have to ask them about a higher memory limit. You can also try to set it with a custom php.ini, but it might not work...

Add memory_limit = 128M to your php.ini or
    add php_value memory_limit 128M to your .htaccess file or
    add ini_set('memory_limit', '128M'); directly to index.php

For the 500 internal server error, you would have to look at the error log of your server. But I would try to solve the memory limit problem first.

• Thanks, I've increased it to 256MB, and still occasionally getting just a blank page with just this error...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in .../class.configuration.php on line 934

Sorry I do not know how to trace memory consumption :(

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

How big is your configuration file?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight 13kb

I can't tell if it's specifically related to Yaga, or Memcached, or both. I just know the forum came back to life (albeit with errors) after changing Yaga's directory name to disable it.

You can disable addons by editing the conf/config.php file, no need to change filenames.

What other addons are you using? 256mb seems excessive.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

@R_J said:
    For the 500 internal server error, you would have to look at the error log of your server. But I would try to solve the memory limit problem first.

or vice-versa :)

or it could be a redirection loop or some type of looping that causes the internal error that cause the eating up of memory and the memory consumption.

I'm betting on a loop of some type that is eating your memory. And no matter how large you set it, it will always be exhausted.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    R_J said:

Yeah that seemed to be the case. I kept increasing the memory and it kept being exhausted, until the server ended up just crashing completely.

I've gone through my Config file and disabled all plugins, and I'm still getting just the error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 92645304 bytes) in /home/bomberbl/public_html/discussion/library/core/class.configuration.php on line 866

What version of Vanilla are you running?

Search first

• when disabling plugins, best if you can disable via dashboard, otherwise you can still have remnants such as routes added that could be prime candidates.

the other thing to look toward is your theme and see if you get memory exhuastion from default theme as well.

look into your routes and your .htaccess or nginx config files as well depending on your server.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @hgtonight said:
    What version of Vanilla are you running?

But I was using the updated version of YAGA that greatly reduced CPU usage on my server. If that's the culprit perhaps we found a new issue?

@peregrine said:
    when disabling plugins, best if you can disable via dashboard, otherwise you can still have remnants such as routes added that could be prime candidates.

the other thing to look toward is your theme and see if you get memory exhuastion from default theme as well.

look into your routes and your .htaccess or nginx config files as well depending on your server.

Okay thanks. I have tried changing my theme in config, but I can't even get the dashboard to load right now.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

do you mean 2.1.11? if not upgrade.

make a copy of your config file and save it somewhere.

then...

if you want, you could post your config.php (remove the private information).

you can manually change theme in config

bittersweet is a good test theme.

$Configuration['Garden']['Theme'] = 'bittersweet';

if you have any routes in config file you can delete them

the only one you really need is:

$Configuration['Routes']['DefaultController'] = array('discussions', 'Internal');

also check any bootstrap.early bootstrap.before bootstrap.late bootstrap.after files for any changes you have made. they could also be causing you issues.

and if you use apache (post your .htacess)

and if you use nginx post your config file for that.

• edited September 2015

Thanks @peregrine !

• I've updated all the Vanilla site files, but I can't run the updater (get the memory exhausted message)
    • .htaccess is unchanged in the directory this forum is stored in
    • config.php can be viewed here: http://pastebin.com/RF9y5x55
    • Installed bittersweet theme and enabled it in config, but just can't get any pages to load

.html files will load on the server, but I can't get any Vanilla pages to work.