Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options
    Just a quick word about my conversion. It ran without a hitch. I converted my site and it's up and running now: www.cellphones.ca/forums/ Thanks. Hey, is there a place on the site here where Mark posts websites using Vanilla? Dman
  • Options
    i dont think he's got round to making a list yet. I imagine he will if he implements the phone-home type technology but otherwise you could always start one on the wiki?
  • Options
    I've been trying to convert my phpBB install over, but I haven't had much luck so far. Which script works best right now and where can I get it?
  • Options
    Only on the basis that as far as i know its the only script, mine is probably best. You can grab it from http://gez.int0rw3b.com/migrator.zip upload it to any dir on your server and browse to it. Run through the scripts in order just by clicking the links. Its not fancy and is very raw, but it does the job. Hopefully one day someone with a bit of design skill *glances at mark* will take it and either rewrite it or atleast make it friendlier. In any case it should work fine as far as data transfer goes. Let me know if you have any problems (or even if you dont!)
  • Options
    minisweeper which version of your phpbb? I try to use your migrator but failed. First it said i don't have "totallogin" column in "phpbb_users" table, so I changed that to a fixed number "0" . Scond it did convert the discusses topics, but not the text . I'm using phpbb2.0.17
  • Options
    thats interesting, i based it on the database that i was given by someone on here since i dont use phpBB myself. I think they're similar errors to those that either Chris or Jerms. I assume you ran the 'comments' migration script? If so did it bring up any errors? Can you grab the new version from my site and run through it, i've just changed it so it doesnt go straight back to the index so we can see all the errors it produces. Clear your database and run through it again and see if it brings anything up.
  • Options
    Thanks, it works! ..with some of my modification :D here is the same err msg when I run "users" for the first time: -------- Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/wanpeng/public_html/vanilla/migrator/migrator/users.php on line 20 Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/wanpeng/public_html/vanilla/migrator/migrator/users.php on line 21 ----------------- so i did the changes: #20 delete "totallogin" from the SQL query #32 $CountVisit = 0; after that everything's smooth. byebye phpbb, hello vanilla~
  • Options
    yeah, i think thats pretty much the same changes i made for chris. Perhaps i should make them permanant, i wonder why theyre not there anymore (or wernt origionally, whichever) and whats replaced them.
  • Options
    Maybe it was a phpbb mod which was not in the original phpbb package.
  • Options
    Hi all. Brand new to Vanilla but I must say it is looking very nice. Using the above method to migrate from phpbb gives me an error message every time... Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/os42shad/public_html/shadows/ph4rum/migrator/users.php on line 20 Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/os42shad/public_html/shadows/ph4rum/migrator/users.php on line 21 So, I tried to fix it following wanpeng's suggestion, but I am either doing this incorrectly or it just isn't working for some reason. Does anyone have any advice as to how I might be able to fix this? Thanks :)
  • Options
    Since everyone seems to be having the problem its probably best if i just change the script. If anyone knows how phpBB now handles counting the number of visits i'd like to hear it. Grab the latest version from my site and try that, Shadow,
  • Options
    Just tested this out and it's worked pretty well.

The BBCode didn't seem to run across perfectly but I can cope with that :)

I just created a new catergory called Old and moved everything there to start afresh but without losing the old stuff. Thanks for the scripts :)
  • Options
    yeah, bbscript conversion is something that needs adding. I've been meaning to do it but i'm very lazy. When i do i'll work in the option to move all data into 1 category too.
  • Options
    so how does the bbscript get effected? and if you install the bbcode extension into vanilla does that get any closer to fixing it up?
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    it doesnt get affected as such, it just doesnt get formatted. The bbcode extension doesnt help because that formats the text on its way into the database not on its way out. Basically i just need to apply that extension mid-migration. Which wont take very long but i keep getting sidetracked. What does confuse me a little is why the data is stored into phpBB's database in bbcode not html. That means that phpBB would have to format every page - surely this is a significant performance hit?
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    ok i finally got round to giving this migration a go and unfortunately i can't get it to work. i get the same errors as previously mentioned by others: Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\vanilla\migrator\users.php on line 20 Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\vanilla\migrator\users.php on line 21 i've tried the fixes wanpeng posted and they made no difference :-( one question i did have as well was in which folder should i have my phpbb db when carrying out the migration? any help would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    folder? Your phpbb tables should be in the same database as the one you wish your lum tables to be in. It wont work just using the .sql file if thats what you're talking about. Are you using the latest version from my site here? http://gez.int0rw3b.com/migrator.zip I'm 99% certain that should fix all total logon / mysql_num_rows related issues. Otherwise hook me up with all the information you can get about the problem to gerrard@ifa-ltd.co.uk or on here
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    ok i've got to be up early tomorrow so i wont look at vanilla again til after work tomorrow. so if you could post any info that may help me out to paulsturgess@gmail.com that would be fantastic! i've justed twigged that i probably need to export the db in phpmyadmin, is that right?
  • Options
    Yeah, though technically youre importing - but thats besides the point. Whether you can do it in phpmyadmin might depend on the size of the .sql file - in any case you will need to reconstruct the tableset in your new database where you wish your vanilla forum to operate from - given that, the migrator should run fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    ah ok the migrator worked this time! thanks so much. for some reason the users and topics tables weren't exported from my phpBB db the first time round, hence the errors with accessing those tables. i guess they were missing in the exported .sql file cheers so much for this help though, it's much appreciated. one thing i have noticed is that two of my categories are missing. a bit wierd as they aren't any different to the others (as far as i'm aware!)