Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options
    hmm. That categories thing is wierd. Other people have reported category based problems. How many categories do you have? Would you mind helping me doing a bit of bug digging or would you rather just stick with your migrated forum as its going?
  • Options
    i'm happy to dig. i have 11 categories (i know, far too many!) but they aren't all viewable to all users. one of the ones missing is only viewable to a select few members, the other is a totally open category. however, i have other categories that share the exact same user permissions and they have converted over ok.
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    hmm. that really is pretty wierd if theyre all showing up with that query - the migrator really does little else with the data besides reinsert it. Are the missing categories not in the lum_categories table or is vanilla just missing them for some reason? As for the missing posts, i'd expect them to be related to other problems further up the line, but setting up phpbb using this data would probably be a good double check, certainly. I gotta hit the sack now but if you can get back with any results i'll try and check them out before school in the morning or probably before work in the afternoon. Or maybe not till the weekend. We'll see how things go! Hmm.. its pretty frustrating that this post wont re-whisper. It's a good job i edited that bit out about thinking vanilla is the worst forum ever!
  • Options
    hmm.. I'm having some trouble with the migrator.zip thingie... it's giving me an error whenever I try converting something, and I can't really make sense of it. Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in mysqldetails.php on line 2 I cannot connect to the database because: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) I've input all the correct details, but it just won't work. any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    um. Have you used databases in any other applications? Did vanilla install properly?
  • Options
    I've used mysql before, yes. There were no problems when I installed vanilla either... I tried creating a new mysql administrative user for this modification, but that didn't help either, so it hasn't got anything to do with that.
  • Options
    hmm. That really is rather odd. There is nothing atall special about the way i connect to databases so on the basis that you've done it before with the exact same details i see no reason why it should be unhappy. Is your mysql server on the same box that you are using, and if so are you using localhost or servername.com to reference it? Has anyone else had this problem before?
  • Options
    well.. I'm using servetheworld, and I have to use an adress to reference the mysql database (localhost won't work, I think). is there something I should change in any of the files, then?

vanilla installed correctly right away, and it is working, and I don't know what they used as a standard mysql reference, but if it is indeed localhost, that should work.
  • Options
    After checking through the vanilla files, as i suspected, mark is using the standard: $Connection = @mysql_connect($DBHost, $DBUser, $DBPass); to connect to the database (i dunno if there are any other ways to do it anyway) which is almost identical to my: $db = mysql_connect ("localhost", "...", "...") Have you tried running the migrator again incase it was just a problem at that moment in time? If it's still not working and you're 1000% the details are fine.... ^o)
  • Options
    hahaha! I got it to work. I was being a blind stupid man. I had actually totally ignored the aforementioned "localhost" reference in the mysql_connect... for some reason I accepted it as being correct.. quite possibly because I'm used to using localhost when testing php scripts on my own computer... I've only used three-four scripts that refer to something in mysql before, and each time I remembered to change it, but that's probably because I wrote the code myself then.

anyway, now I know what that error looks like.

silly me.

thanks for your help (though I was being stupid)!
  • Options
    haha. Well i'm glad it was something simple or you had me totally dumbfounded. I suppose i shouldnt have made the assumption in my script that it would be localhost but in the majority of cases it is. Glad that's sorted anyway, how did the migration go?
  • Options
    the migration went pretty ok. The bbcode got fucked up, but everything else was perfectly fine. I actually hadn't expected the avatars to get transferred, but it even did that! maybe you should just use "MYSQLSERVER" instead of "localhost" in the file, and add a comment just above it that says "input the name of your mysql server ('localhost' should work in most cases)" or something...
  • Options
    yeah. i just completely overlooked it. I did design it to transfer the avatars but at the same time i'm surprised it actually worked. BBCode is something that still needs doing. I am *very* lazy...
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    Right. I've finally updated it to take account of BBCode'd posts after realising that theyre actually formatted on the way out not the way in and it was therefore a lot easier than i first thought (which wasnt very difficult anyway)

Basically now it just checks if there is a < in the post, and if there is it assumes it's HTML, otherwise it assumes its BBCode. If someone would like to make a slightly better check than this then they're more than welcome but as a rule it should do the trick. If you dont want any posts to be html-able then you can comment out that if statement in the comments.php file.

I also changed localhost to mysqlserver to avoid any future confusion, and added a version number just so we know where people are at for help in the future.

N.B. You *will* require the BBCode extension to be installed and active to enable the comments to be filtered correctly (likewise for html)

Updated file is here.

For those people who have already migrated and want their BBCode posts to work, download this and run it and it might work for you (as yet untested so lemme know how it goes).
  • Options
    I just tested the updater, and it seems to have worked perfectly! I don't see any problems yet, at least. I'll check around a bit and let you know if I find anything.
  • Options
    hmm.. there seems to be a different problem, but I don't really know if it is related to the migration or not. all the migrated posts lost their special characters (æÆ, øØ and åÅ, which are all used quite a bit in norwegian are replaced with "?"). The weird thing about it is that while new posts made after the migration can contain these letters, the norwegian language pack also seems to have a bit of trouble with it, and the font-family should have them (as they ARE displayed in new posts)...
  • Options
    Um. Hmm... chances are my migrator is either failing to correctly read or write a non default charset (i assume it's a different one, atleast?) It sounds like there's an error in both the migrator and the language file - i'd love to pass the buck and say it wasnt my fault but if new posts work fine then its obviously having no problem with database reads in the charset specified. Chances are the language file could be fixed relatively simply just by re-defining its iso, my migrator, however, i'm not so sure. Ideas anyone?
  • Options
    Do the Users have to be imported for it to work properly?
  • Options
    Okay odd.

So I imported all on yours minisweeper and NOTHING was imported into Vanilla. Even though there's data and a lot of it, in the phpBB database.
  • Options
    um. werd up. has it not put anything into the database even? I assume you changed all the necessary details?