Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options
    Stuff gets entered but not phpBB data.
    I'm getting categories created

Test Forum 1 This is just a test forum.

Over and over, same for discussions. Each time I run the migrator.
  • Options
    Urm..hmmm. Didn't you already migrate a while ago? Or is this a new data set? Can you give me any more accurate info? Have you cleared the database and run the scripts through in order? Does it give any errors?
  • Options
    k fron the looks of it, it's just posting a default phpBB (category/install setup post) into vanilla each time. even tho the phpbb database is populated.
  • Options
    do you have aim/msn... so much easier.
  • Options
    yeah you can hit me up on bad4ssg@msn.com Seems we posted our last comments at the exact same time. Little odd. It got confused at my end...
  • Options
    Right, after some more testing with chris's data, i've made a bunch of changes and now i'm on v0.4 so if anyone is downloading just make sure you've got the latest version. it's still at the same place <a href="http://gez.int0rw3b.com/migrator.zip">here</a>. Any trouble give me a shout.
  • Options
    good work, i know that's not easy. thank you.
  • Options
    thanks a lot bud.

just to note to everyone, if you have a database with 40,000 posts mini's migrator will handle it ;-)
  • Options
    I'm getting some errors when I run the migrator scripts (v0.4):
    (I tried it on two different servers.)

users.php

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in (full path to script omitted) ./users.php on line 20

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in (full path to script omitted) ./users.php on line 21

categories.php

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in (full path to script omitted) ./categories.php on line 54

discussions.php

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '>' in (full path to script omitted) ./discussions.php on line 85

comments.php

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in (full path to script omitted) ./comments.php on line 92

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
  • Options
    Right. Grab the latest from my site (0.4b) and run through it again. I suspect you'll get the same user error, in which case if you could take a look at your phpbb_users table in your database and tell me which of the following columns are missing it'd be appreciated: user_id,username,user_password,user_email,user_viewemail,user_avatar,user_posts,user_regdate,user_lastvisit I'm not sure why you've got the rest of the errors unless there was some crc error or some such in the upload - as far as i can see there arent any visible problems to create such issues in the script. I know i had a couple similar when i was debugging chris's and i made some changes to the copy on his server which i forgot to put into my code but i think it's all there now so try re-downloading and report back. Thanks!
  • Options
    The latest (0.4b) worked OK on my users. (My phpbb_users table contains all the fields you listed.) On the other three scripts, I now get: Parse error: parse error, unexpected '>' on line "x" (once again the same lines that were originally affected: 54, 85, 92 respectively) Interestingly, line "x" in each of these scripts is: echo "<br>Number of Errors ".$error;
  • Options
    Yeah, granted. I'm not sure why though since it has no reason to be bothered by the html symbols. Open up each those files and swop the " ''s for ' 's so it doesnt evaluate the contents and give it a go :)
  • Options
    My knowledge of PHP is virtually zero, but I think I've managed to I trace the parse error to the following line in each categories, discussions, and comments: echo "<br> ERROR ROW ".$count."; Removing that third unmatched double quote seems to fix everything!
  • Options
    Yeah! 8,682 comments migrated in under 75 seconds.
  • Options
    ahh. yeah sorry. I dunno if it's just me but if you've been staring at a piece of code for a while it's impossible to see anything wrong with it - for obvious errors atleast. Glad you're all done. Any idea what server you're hosted on? 9k in 75 seems quite a long time but i dunno if thats my code or not.
  • Options
    Server was dual Xeon with SCSI HDs, and all that goodness, but the guy that set it up is long gone and I still find his garbage lying around. I think the config is a bit crufty, so I wouldn't base any performance judgements on it.
  • Options
    Here's a couple minor quirks I've noticed so far with a database migrated from phpBB: Every bbCode tag appears to have a random string inserted into it. For example: [quote:481950223f]Some quote text[/quote:481950223f] Comments in each discussion appear in the order they were edited instead of the order they were originally posted. In other words, if the original author edited his or her post in phpBB after other users added to the thread, the original post appears part way down the discussion. The comments are out of order.
  • Options
    The random string would be the post uid. The migrator should check the uid field of each post and strip them out of the bbcodes.
  • Options
    should is such an unnecessary word. *coughs and tries to divert attention. My bbcode'ing really is extremely rusty - it was much more of an afterthought than a focus. I just wanted to get something working (and that itself wasnt hugely successful!) The ordering thing is quite fun though. Hmm.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure my migrator is writing valid timings. It makes DateCreated from phpbb's post_time and DateEdited from phpbb's post_edit_time so on the assumption that vanilla is ordering by DateCreated then theres no reason it should be mucking it up. Even in the insane instance that vanilla would be ordering by comment ID, the phpbb query comes in post id order and thus they should be kept in the correct order in the database regardless. So i'm somewhat befuddled. Can anyone else who's used the migrator confirm or disprove this activity?