Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2007
    GraphicConverter is quite nice, thank you, I just wish it had been easier to find. I checked at least ten different image editors, all of which were either expensive (like Photoshop) or unstable (like Seashore) or inexplicably lacking the ability to resize a photo (like Apple's own iPhoto).

StuffIt Expander is, as I said, garbage. Buggy, crashy, garbage. And... gunzip? Sure, let me just hop in my time machine and go back to 1993. Unzipping from the command line should not be answer.

When you start Mac OS X "it just works" and it's "awesome out of the box". It must be true because Apple said so. What they don't say is that if you step out of the pretty sandbox they built for you, you'll find that software with even the most asinine basic features costs $25. And if you dare complain about it you'll get the art school equivalent of "omg rtfm n00b!".

So yeah, PCs do suck. Macs suck too, they just pretend that they don't. Is that better somehow? I like my Mac and I'm learning how to work around the sucky parts, just like I learned to work around the suck in Windows. At least on Windows I could learn without being called a bozo.
  • Options
    Sigh, now it the OS's fault the user does not know how to open a a .tgz file or to resize a picture to 800x600.

Well if it "just worked" you'd be able to do all those things without ever installing another program on OSX. You'd just bring up a context menu on the tgz file and uncompress it.
    Come on, using the terminal to unzip a tgz file? Get real. How are most people going to know to do that straight off without reading the sodding manual.

Stuffit Expander; now that's a useful suggestion. A quick google on "tgz file mac" gives you some options too. However, to say that an OS just works means you shouldn't have to do these things.

Hey even better, OSX should see an unrecognised file format on the computer and download the requisite program to make it recognised. That would be seamless and a feature I'd love.

Click to open the tgz file. Small dialog pops up saying that it's checking the database and will install the correct program for you. That would be an OS just working. Admittedly you'd be screwed if you don't have the internet but that's neither here no there.

Windows desperately needs this feature.

I can't wait for Macs to get a larger market share. We'll start to see if OSX is as secure as they say or if it's because of it's smaller share that it's not attacked as much.
  • Options
    Click to open the tgz file. Small dialog pops up saying that it's checking the database and will install the correct program for you. That would be an OS just working.

I like your way of thinking. If OSX 10.6 has this out of the box, I'm all over it like a rash :)
  • Options
    FWIW, I'm never moving to Vista. Buying a new machine to support the additional hardware requirements for pervasive DRM simply seems illogical. Before you think I'm switching to OSX, I'm simply planning to go Ubuntu all the way!
  • Options
    Ubuntu is getting there IMO. It's still not exactly friendly, but they've made some tangible progress over the past 24 months.

Installing UBuntu is one of the easiest OSs to install. Certainly than XP with it's bloody irritating "Press F6 to attempt to install mass storage drives from a 30 year old removable media format - oh wait, you don't have a floppy installed? Ah well, you're boned then."
  • Options
    I gave Ubuntu a whirl but I could not get my Wireless set up on it. It was damn easy to install and I had no trouble on that front. Even gave me handy security advice during the install. I might give a newer version a run again. Are the Live CD version exactly the same? If so then it's probably worth me running one of those first.
  • Options
    "OnyX should be there to enable it, if for some reason, you ever wanted OSX to shit all over your network." hahahaha.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Installed Ubuntu last week--very impressed. Wireless doesn't work because the Intel 2200b/g card drivers have some legal issues that prevent it from being installed by default, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. (Prolly get to it this week, several tutorials out there.) My priority anyway was getting LAMP up and running, along with several versions of Vanilla for development/testing. I moved from Fedora core 3 so it was quite a pleasant surprise to see it recognize NTFS and auto-display my USB disk drive when plugged in. LOL @ mini
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    Check out these emails that were just released of Microsoft execs drooling over Mac OS X Tiger when it was first released: http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/7000/PX07278.pdf These emails were just released as part of the ongoing Iowa anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft.
  • Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited January 2007
    Wireless doesn't work because the Intel 2200b/g card drivers have some legal issues that prevent it from being installed by default, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. (Prolly get to it this week, several tutorials out there.)

I wasn't aware of that. I'll definitely give it another go. I'll have a search for some tutorials.

dan39: That's a sweet quick read.

Tonight I got on corpnet, hooked up Mail.app to my Exchange server and then downloaded all
    of my mail into the local file store. I did system wide queries against docs, contacts,
    apps, photos, music, and ... my Microsoft email on a Mac. It was fucking amazing. It's
    like I just got a free pass to Lonqhorn land today.

Now I really do want to give OSX a proper go.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, this one is even better.

This is from Microsoft exec Jim Allchin (Co-President, Platforms & Services Division at Microsoft) who wrote this while Vista was still being developed:

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_7264.pdf

From: Jim Allchin Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 8:38 AM To: Bill Gates; Steve Balmer Subject: losing our way... This is a rant. I’m sorry. I am not sure how the company lost sight of what matters to our customers (both business and home) the most, but in my view we lost our way. I think our teams lost sight of what bug-free means, what resilience means, what full scenarios mean, what security means, what performance means, how important current applications are, and really understanding what the most important problems are customers face are. I see lots of random features and some great vision, but that doesn't translate into great products. I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft. If you run the equivalent of VPC on a MAC you get access to basically all Windows application software (although not the hardware). Apple did not lose their way. You must watch this new video below. I know this doesn't show anything for businesses, but my point is about the philosophy that Apple uses. They think scenario. They think simple. They think fast. I know there is nothing hugely deep in this. http://www.apple.com/ilife/video/ilife04_32C.html I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage system. LH is a pig and I don't see any solution to this problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we need to start taking the lessons of "scenario, simple, fast" to heart. Jim
  • Options
    dan39, you're a legend!

I have been looking for this email to post here, you beat me to it.

Now what more could you ask for as an endorsement, straight from the horse's mouth, from the enemy!

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 8:04AM (AEDT)

• Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited January 2007
    Well it depends on how he feels about Vista now. I don't know. Unless Dan can produce another e-mail from more present thoughts. I would be interested in reading that. I know Vista is a long way from what they originally envisioned. I probably won't be upgrading to it any time soon. Maybe if I build a new computer but I'm still toying with the idea of a MacBook Pro right now. I shall wait and see. EDIT: Removed a last sentence. Can't be arsed with it.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
     Quote: giginger  Wanderer: I don't know how you do it but everything you say is intensely annoying. Is your last sentence a statement or a question?
    It's a quest-ment, or a state-tion if you like.
    And yes, people who don't use objectivity, logic, reason, common sense, with a touch of open-mindedness and humour are often intensely annoyed by my statements!
    pic

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 8:21AM (AEDT)

• Options
    Damn, you must really piss yourself off.
  • Options
    Piss myself off?
    No sir, I'm very happy with myself. pic

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 8:54AM (AEDT)

• Options
    Did the grammar nazi within you not chuckle to itself at the incorrect use of 'are' when he meant 'our', wanderer? It sure did me...
  • Options
    "the charming OSX compulsion to spam ".DS_Store" and "Trashes" all over any network share or memory stick that it touches." thumbs.db anyone? ;-)
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    The Microsoft press office has a tight leash on Allchin right now. He's only allowed to say that he thinks Vista is "awesome" in public. Though, it seems he is retiring from Microsoft shortly and rumor has it that he's going to buy a Mac. Or at least that's the running joke.

Truthfully it's not really possible for a company of that size to turn itself around in 24 months. I don't think anyone can truthfully expect for Microsoft to have "found its way" since then. And it would be a tough sell for him to say that Vista is "awesome" when it's really just playing catch-up with OS X.

So, you have half a dozen execs who are essentially drooling over OS X 24 months ago — according to subpoenaed emails.

You have blog posts like this one:

Vista 2007. Fire the leadership now!

...from a Microsoft staffer posted in March of last year. (Be sure to read the comments on that little gem).

It really is almost painful to watch Microsoft implode like this. I say "almost" because you could kind of see it coming when the sales guy took over the company and really Microsoft stopped innovating.

And to make things even more interesting, the full feature-set of Leopard is still under wraps. No one knows what (if anything) Apple has under its sleeve.

What Apple already does have is a stable, feature-rich OS with solid Open Source foundations that happens to be really easy to use.

...oh yeah, and apparently, OS X also has a lot of admirers in Redmond.
  • Options
     Quote: Minisweeper  Did the grammar nazi within you not chuckle to itself at the incorrect use of 'are' when he meant 'our', wanderer? It sure did me...
    Honestly, I didn't read the comment that closely, same old befuddled drivel.

Quote: giginger  EDIT: Removed a last sentence. Can't be arsed with it.
    And that sir, is the attitude associated with the PC mentality.
    Near enough is good enough, if it's too hard I won't bother, perfection is an option, quality is... er, what's quality, does it come with fries? pic

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 11:55AM (AEDT)

This discussion has been closed.