Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• Options
    Programmer vs. Anti-grammar... OK, maybe that was funnier in my head.
  • Options
    pic
    Microsoft’s Windows Vista: Five years for a chrome-plated turd
    (Their words, not mine!)

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 5:15PM (AEDT)

• Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited January 2007
    And that sir, is the attitude associated with the PC mentality. Near enough is good enough, if it's too hard I won't bother, perfection is an option, quality is... er, what's quality, does it come with fries?

I removed it because I didn't want one of your pathetic replies. I got one anyway. In fact, it appears I got two. What a bargain. You're still forgetting that a Mac is a PC. Renders your entire argument worthless.

Anyway. I'm off to work to do some CAD work on a PC. Does CAD work on a Mac?
  • Options
     Quote: giginger  Does CAD work on a Mac?
    Everything works on a Mac, you just don't, or won't get it.

Quote: giginger   You're still forgetting that a Mac is a PC. Renders your entire argument worthless.
    The "PC Mentality" is a state of mind, not a piece of hardware, you still just don't, or won't get it.

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 6:16PM (AEDT)

• Options

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 6:37PM (AEDT)

• Options
    OK, can you show me Autodesk Map 3D 2007 running on a Mac please? Not in an emulation mode. Natively in the OS please. I do get what you mean by PC mentality. However, you've labelled it wrong. You can call it Windows mentality and that would be fine. It's your consistent use of PC that's wrong. It's generic term that applies to Mac & Windows.
  • Options
     Quote: giginger  OK, can you show me Autodesk Map 3D 2007 running on a Mac please? Not in an emulation mode. Natively in the OS please.
    Run it in Windows Natively not in emulation using Boot Camp, or under Parallels, also natively also at the same time as Mac OS X!

Posted: Wednesday, 31 January 2007 at 7:36PM (AEDT)

• Options
    dan39: Mini-Microsoft is great. Doesn't seem as biting as when they first started but it's still a good read. The comments on the post you linked are indeed gems. I never read the comments on those sorts of blogs because, generally, it's a lot of rubbish from people who swallow everything a company says. Those ones do seem to be the exception to the rule. I do so prefer your posts dan. Much more reasoned and actually informational instead of petty name calling and bereft of colloquialism. I salute you.

3stripe: thumbs.db does annoy me , if you don't have thumbnail preview on then that folder remains clear of such things though. I make a point of changing all my folders to detail view as I really don't care for thumbnail previews. I have picasa for flicking through pictures to find the one I want.
    .DS_store seem to inhabit every damn folder whether you like it or not which is intensely annoying when you're looking at a network drive shared with a Mac.

Just for the record I'll state it again. I'm not adverse to getting a Mac and I'm still considering getting a MacBook Pro when I get a new computer, depite Wanderers best attempts to make me despise everything Apple. It seems this point is getting continually ignored. I am adverse to someone calling all Windows users zombies and saying they didn't choose their OS through choice. I hate generalisations and pigeon holing of people.

Maybe someone is prepared to put their money where their mouth is and buy me a MacBook Pro with all the trimmings. If I like it and can happily use it with equivalent versions of the software I use on a PC I'll give them the money for it.
    If I don't like it then I'll auction it off and give the money to a charity of their choice.
  • Options
    Wanderer: That's not good enough. When I say natively in the OS. I mean that I want to load it directly from within OSX. I don't want to use Boot Camp and install XP. Why should I have to install a whole other OS just to run a program? Using parallels is using a form of emulation. It's a virtual machine, CAD would still be running inside another OS. I don't want to do that. I want to open it up from within OSX. I don't want parallels, I dont want boot camp. I want it to load exactly as Safari does (in a manner of speaking).
  • Options
    Software support is still the major downside to OSX for me. I've been a PC (DOS and Windows) game player for 11 years now (wow, that long!?) and until I can get my fix on OSX, it will remain the backup machine that the wife uses. My Mac Mini is a fantastic backup machine however, even if it was a complete whore to upgrade the RAM :P

Still, moving to a standard PC architecture can only help Macs with software support I reckon. It will be wonderful when "universal binaries" go the way of the dodo or at least get changed to Windows/Mac binaries...
  • Options
     Quote: giginger  That's not good enough. When I say natively in the OS. I mean that I want to load it directly from within OSX.
    I don't want to use Boot Camp and install XP. Why should I have to install a whole other OS just to run a program?
    Well that's just plain unreasonable and pig-headed, (although I believe it's coming).
    Do you also want it to make your coffee and tell you when your underwear needs changing?
    Don't waste your money on a Mac, you won't appreciate it.

Posted: Thursday, 1 February 2007 at 8:03AM (AEDT)

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Why is that unreasonable? He wants a computer to help him do his job most productively, he chose a Windows PC because it allows him to run the applications he needs it to run. You say (ok so i'm being a bit vague here but it's the point that counts) that everyone should be using macs because theyre so much better and they do everything so well, he asks whether a mac will run the programs he needs, and it turns out it wont *without booting windows*. Therefore it's totally unnecessary him going out and buying a mac when it's gonna be doing the exact same job his Windows PC will be doing but at a greater cost. You're right though, he shouldnt waste his money on a mac, it wouldnt be any benefit to him. If the PC mentality involves making reasoned judgements on a choice of hardware and OS that best suits the desired applications, then I cant say i'm entirely against it...
  • Options
    For the first time in my life I advised someone against getting a Mac, a relative no less.

He um-ed and ah-ed for months then finally made his decision to get a 20" iMac to replace his 12-month-old PC which keeps breaking down and now turns itself off at random with a message from "Admin" which seems strange but I can't help him and his so-called IT expert brother couldn't work it out.

Anyway he was impressed with iWork, Pages in particular and other aspects of the system. He rang me from the store, said he was about to buy it. Later I rang to ask how it was going. He didn't buy it because the sales guy wouldn't give him anything off the price, although he did offer him either Office at no cost or a 2Gb iPod Nano.

I told him he was infested with the PC Mentality and should stick with his sick PC. Even if a Mac was given to him for free he wouldn't appreciate it. Also told him to keep me out of the decision, I've had it with him.

Apparently he suspected a virus in the boot blocks and was supposed to install a new hard disk last week, more good money after bad, I have not received an email since then, neither has he been on MSN, I suspect it all went sour and he's too embarrassed to call me and say so.

Posted: Thursday, 1 February 2007 at 8:36AM (AEDT)

• Options
     Quote: Minisweeper  Why is that unreasonable?
    Mate, you're usually more coherent, you honestly can't see why that's unreasonable?
    I'm not going to waste my finger pads on a reply.

Posted: Thursday, 1 February 2007 at 8:39AM (AEDT)

• Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited January 2007
    Well that's just plain unreasonable and pig-headed, (although I believe it's coming).

Do you always resort to insults when you have no reasonable answer?

It's not unreasonable OR pig-headed (to use you wonderful terminology) to ask/expect an OS to run the program I need to do my work. I'm actually quite appalled that I'm considered pig headed for wanting to run a certain program on OSX. Is this what I'm to expect from the OS itself? Insults for wanting to do my work?

Do you also want it to make your coffee and tell you when your underwear needs changing?

Well clearly not as that's not in the slightest bit computer related and really the most idiotic response I've read. I don't drink Coffee anyway so even if it did make Coffee I wouldn't be happy.

Don't waste your money on a Mac, you won't appreciate it.

So now you're saying I shouldn't get one because I want one certain program to run? Are you fucking kidding me!? Seriously, any ounce of respectability you had with me has been completely shattered with one post.

You insult me, use stupid statements and tell me I won't appreciate an OS because of 1 program that I want to run? Wow, you really know how to create a good impression.

I've also just realised who your avatar reminds me off.

Arnold J. Rimmer BSC, SSC
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The reason that relative hasn't got back to you is quite obvious. It's nothing to do with them being embarrassed.

Mini: Thank you. I'm still tempted to get a Mac at some point anyway. Despite their obvious flaws.
  • Options
    I cant see why it's unreasonable, no. That's why i wrote a 6 line reasoned post explaining why i was querying your statement...
  • Options
    What I meant was, The CAD app is obviously NOT available for OSX (I don't think so anyway, I don't do CAD).

So the solution is to run it using Boot Camp or Parallels, is that too hard to understand?
    Seems a fantastic solution to me, more so than if you wanted it the other way round?
    You can run any Windows application like this, it's will run natively and not under any emulation.
    What more could you want?
    Oh you want Apple to get someone to port the app so you can run it natively?
    You're dreaming mate.

You can't blame an OS for software not being written for it?
    Especially since you can still run it! Reasonable?

As for the reference to coffee and your underwear, it called sarcasm mate, but the PC Mentality is way too literal to understand it.

My we are touchy aren't we?
    Frustration (and getting personal) is always a sign that one is losing one's argument and is grasping at straws.

And before you say I am getting personal, that's not the case, I set the scenario, you just keep falling into it with a small mind and blinkered vision.
    (OK maybe that was a teeny bit personal, but I figure you owe me some back-at-ya)

Posted: Thursday, 1 February 2007 at 9:08AM (AEDT)

• Options
    Why didn't you just say that? Why the long winded post including personal insults? It's not hard to understand that the solution is to use Boot Camp or Parallels. It's a solution. You're right. It's not a fantastic solution. Why don't Apple get someone to port the app? If they're serious about market share then they should get more business orientated programs like CAD onto the system. The best GIS product I have ever used was on a Mac. It was great. Nothing to match it. It was ported to PC and they ruined it. I see nothing like that around now. I can totally blame an OS for software not being written for it. Not only can I do it but I WILL do it. I know it was sarcasm but good sarcasm needs a valid point of reference. Your attempt was too far removed to even work properly. I'm touchy? I'm not the one calling people pig-headed. That's personal. The fact you're now saying it's a sign of losing an arguement when it's actually what you did yourself seems lost on you. Small mind? Blinkered vision? I'm the one who's saying I'm willing to give OSX a try? I'm the one who's said I'm considering getting a Mac. It's you who has the small mind and blinkered vision. In your eyes Apple can do no wrong and that's just pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    Sheesh, take a breath, take a chill pill, get a life.
    I'm back to teaching 3 gorgeous girls all about Illustrator, and they're paying for lunch!
    How sweet can life get? pic

Posted: Thursday, 1 February 2007 at 9:48AM (AEDT)

• Options
    @ giginger: Which GIS is available on mac?
This discussion has been closed.