Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanillazilla: Tracking Vanilla's growth (Now open!)

Comments

• Glad to hear it, blizeH! Odd about the extensions panel, though; I hope you get that fixed. Open question for you all: What is a good interval for getting new statistics? Every three days maybe?
  • I always liked the idea of an adaptive update, i.e. if the board changed a lot since the last check, shorten the update interval. If the changes were small, lengthen it. You could even estimate the time until the next update based on the amount of change that occurred.
  • I've just noticed there's something strange with the discussion count : my forum currently have 232 discussions and 1994 comments. It seems ok for the discussions count, but the current number of comments shown on your site is 1025, which is a lot less (my users didn't post almost 1000 comments in three days lol).
  • I'm assuming you're getting those figures from the "Quelques chiffres" box in the panel? What extension are you using for that? I'll take a look at its code and see how they differ in their methods of collecting these statistics.
  • Okay, I see. Forum Statistics just constructs raw SQL queries and doesn't do much checking; mine basically gets the statistics from the perspective of a non-privileged user, i.e. excluding whispers, private categories, deleted posts, etc. Which way do you think is better, for purposes of long-term statistics and comparisons?
  • some description for each forum? http://edacio.us/forum/ keywords: avatars, find, share, host
  • Wow, there are so many non-public posts on my forum? o_O

Frankly, I don't know. It may seem more logical to count only public discussions for people visiting Vanillazilla and browsing the different forums, but I suppose users of a particular community would enjoy knowing how many hidden & whispered comments are on their forum.

Maybe you could just keep the count of visible posts for the forum list, like you already did, but add more details on each forum's page? I don't know if displaying the number of private and hidden content is okay for everybody, though. Maybe you could also add a checkbox or something to allow administrators to show or not these "private" statistics? Would it be useful?
  • Aww come on guys, I think more people should get on this; it's a fantastic idea and will make for interesting reading when there's loads of sites submitted! :-)
  • Getting an 'internal server error' when trying to add http://scene.nfshost.com/

Running Vanilla 1.0.3 and have the extension installed and enabled.
  • That's because http://scene.nfshost.com/extension/?PostBackAction=Vanillazilla is getting a 404 -- could there be something wrong with your mod_rewrite rules?
  • Could be. I've just uploaded the friendly URLs .htaccess file, and haven't touched them at all other than that.
  • The Friendly URL extension is outdated. (I don't know why it's still available on the addon site.) Vanilla 1.0.1 and later include the proper .htaccess by default; I think uploading this old .htaccess removed the rule that lets /extension.php be accessed as /extension/. Here's the .htaccess that comes with the newest Vanilla.

RewriteEngine On Options +FollowSymLinks -Multiviews #Discussions RewriteRule ^discussions$ index.php [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussions/$ index.php [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussions/([0-9]+)$ index.php?page=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussions/([0-9]+)/$ index.php?page=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)$ index.php?CategoryID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)/$ index.php?CategoryID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)$ index.php?CategoryID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/$ index.php?CategoryID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] #Comments RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/(.*)$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/(.*)/$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)/(.*)$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)/(.*)/$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+)/$ comments.php?DiscussionID=$1 [QSA,L] #Categories RewriteRule ^categories/$ categories.php [QSA,L] #Account RewriteRule ^account/$ account.php [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^account/([0-9]+)$ account.php?u=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^account/([0-9]+)/$ account.php?u=$1 [QSA,L] #Search RewriteRule ^search/$ search.php [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^search/([0-9]+)$ search.php?page=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^search/([0-9]+)/$ search.php?page=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^search/saved/([0-9]+)$ search.php?SearchID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^search/saved/([0-9]+)/$ search.php?SearchID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^search/saved/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)$ search.php?SearchID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^search/saved/([0-9]+)/([0-9]+)/$ search.php?SearchID=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L] #Post RewriteRule ^post/$ post.php [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^post/([0-9]+)$ post.php?CommentID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^post/([0-9]+)/$ post.php?CommentID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^post/category/([0-9]+)$ post.php?CategoryID=$1 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^post/category/([0-9]+)/$ post.php?CategoryID=$1 [QSA,L] #Settings RewriteRule ^settings/$ settings.php [QSA,L] #People RewriteRule ^people/$ people.php [QSA,L] #Extensions RewriteRule ^extension/$ extension.php [QSA,L] # Prevent some little bad effects of Friendly Urls on relative links in some # extensions RewriteRule ^(discussions|categories|search|post|settings|people|[0-9]+)/(extensions|themes|images|ajax)/(.*) $2/$3 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^(discussions|categories|search|post|settings|people|[0-9]+)/(account.php|categories.php|comments.php|extension.php|index.php|people.php|post.php|search.php|settings.php) $2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+/){1,2}[^/]*/(extensions|themes|images|ajax)/(.*) $2/$3 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussion/([0-9]+/){1,2}[^/]*/(account.php|categories.php|comments.php|extension.php|index.php|people.php|post.php|search.php|settings.php) $2 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^(discussions|account|search|post|[0-9]+)/.+/(extensions|themes|images|ajax)/(.*) $2/$3 [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^(discussions|account|search|post|[0-9]+)/.+/(account.php|categories.php|comments.php|extension.php|index.php|people.php|post.php|search.php|settings.php) $2 [QSA,L]
  • Ah, thanks Pol! I just dumped the friendly URLs htaccess on it right from the start, not even checking what was in the default one. And replacing the contents of the htaccess file with what you posted did indeed fix things, and I've added the forum. :)
  • Bump! :-)
  • PolPol
    edited January 2007
    Thanks BlizeH. :) I agree that this'll be an interesting look at Vanilla once more sites are added.

By the way, everyone, I'm adding a feature where it shows graphs of your statistics over time. So you can see how fast your forum is growing, etc. Niftiness!
  • Ok, I added the graphs!

Currently, there's not much to see, since there isn't much data yet, but in a week or two, the graphs will be much more interesting. But you can still check them out to see what they look like. Go to a detail page (go to the home page and click the ellipsis next to a forum's title), and hover your cursor over any underlined number.

Any feedback on the graphs' appearance, structure, etc. is welcome. So are suggestions for new things to track.
  • You should have tags for each forum .. for example if a forum is about games or specifically the 360 then the tags would be xbox360, gaming -- when you click it it'll show you all Vanilla boards on that topic.
  • Ah, that's a pretty good idea ADM. It would be cleaner and more accurate than complete forum descriptions. Then it would be great to also have some graphs to see what are the most popular tags.
  • The graphs are neat, will indeed be interesting to see how they turn out over time, and it's a great way to monitor how the board's progressing (atm the one I run's userbase is getting smaller, not larger, meh! :P). Also agreed that tags would be kinda neat. Although for a general board like ours it'd be kind of hard not to get too carried away tagging more than I probably should! :) Come on chaps, signup! Only takes a minute at the most!
This discussion has been closed.