Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanillazilla: Tracking Vanilla's growth (Now open!)

Comments

• What about an 'active users' statistic? As Blizeh says, his is getting smaller but since none of the users will be deleted noone would get that impression. You could take a count of all users who'd logged in over the last day/week/month?
  • That's a very nice piece of work. I'm impressed. I like the way you've used the default vanilla themes colours. It's always good to have stats :D
  • An active users statistic would be nice for sure.

By the way, shouldn't this discussion be stickied in order to attract more people?
  • No need for it to be stickied imho, plus people (like myself) often don't even bother looking at the stickies! :-)
  • I suppose it wouldnt hurt...might be nice for Mark to come back from his travels and find millions of thankfull vanilla supports listed up!
  • Uh, i have little problem.. When I add new .htaccess then i have "500 internal error" on my server... Any ideas?
  • Wow, I go to sleep, wake up, and find my thread stickied! :) (Still no more forums added to the site's database, though...)

@ADM: That would be helpful, but how would it get the tags? It seems like it would be overcomplicating things to have user-submitted tags, because then I'd have to add user registration and all that, and having forum owners choose tags could be too limiting and abusable. Maybe it could hook into something like del.icio.us and see what people are tagging it with there.

@blizeH and Minisweeper: Good idea about the "active users" statistic. Maybe I'll add that in the next version of the extension.

@LooZ^: Why did you need to install the new .htaccess? Did you overwrite it with the outdated Friendly URLs extension .htaccess like bjrn did?
  • Pol: Hmm well you could add it to the Add form and have it limited to only 3 tags. So it won't be able to get abused then.
  • Perhaps I'll integrate it with del.icio.us. It'll get tag information for each forum, and it'll provide a link for each one to bookmark it on del.icio.us and add your own tags. Thoughts?
  • edited January 2007
    How about if we create an extension like the WP head-meta-desc plugin which allows you to add custom tags to your pages?

Now that I've checked the WP plugins, there are a couple that add meta information. Would this be useful?
  • I'd still really like to see stat info on extensions, I think this would provide an incredibly useful amount of information. It would also provide a good argument for packaging certian extensions together in pack etc.
  • wow, didn't expect to make it straight to the top 3 very nice extension/site! let's hope more of the big vanilla sites out there join in - by the way, where's lussumo.com/community ?
  • lussumo.com/community isn't listed there yet because Mark would have to install the extension. I think he's on vacation. Maybe he'll install it when he gets back!
  • Pol: I don't have "friendlyurls" extension... And when I try add my forum to vanillazilla - "internal server error" :/
  • PolPol
    edited January 2007
    I just updated the code so that it reports errors more helpfully. Can you try again and tell me what specific error message you get?
  • Nice one! :)
  • Pol: A parse error occurred while reading data from http://forum.oleska51.com/extension.php?PostBackAction=Vanillazilla.
  • @LooZ^: Thanks. It turned out it was just a little UTF-8 glitch; I've fixed that now, and your forum is added.
  • PolPol
    edited January 2007
    I'm also adding some overall statistics about the Vanilla world. To get it started, I made a pie graph of the Vanilla versions in use. Once our data set is larger, these graphs could have plenty of uses... for example, for extension authors who are trying to decide how backward-compatible they need to be.

• edited January 2007
    i tried to set it up but when i added my forum to the site i get this message: A parse error occurred while reading data from http://www.sffixed.com/extension.php?PostBackAction=Vanillazilla.

does it matter that my forum is not publicly browseable? i have 669 members and 3333 discussions. the forum is at sffixed.com, and i am running 1.0.3
This discussion has been closed.