Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    do you aim?
  • Dont have an account. I have irc or msn?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    nope :P
    I'll get msn - what's your msn contact?
  • bad4ssg@msn.com If its easier for you you can use http://gez.fr4g.com/irc and just /msg gez hi :)
  • edited May 2005
    I have officially made a start. For those who want to track my progress it looks a little something like this:

openingphptag
    closingphptag
  • Good Luck !
  • So can i just double check with some phpBB users - i'm digging through the tables and there dont appear to be any real name references...

Does it just ignore that people might have real names?
  • Mark - is it worth me keeping the user language column from phpbb databases for when people choose to make language translations?
  • p.s. outbreak if you could also hop on some form of IRC for a while this evening it could be very useful.. Or anyone else who uses phpBB
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I wouldn't bother with the language translations for now.
  • *salutes
  • Right. I've got the basic user info in quite happily. Now its just a matter of picking the remaining user related bits out of all the other tables phpBB uses.
    Why cant everyone be as simple as mark!
  • edited June 2005
    Update: I've got the following information taken care of:
    First/Last Name - set to phpbb / user by default due to phpbb not having them
    username
    password - set to Default - due to encryption people will need to reset passwords
    Email + Show email
    Icon - linked to avatar. Assumed this was preferably over Picture -> Avatar.
    Discussion + Comment Counts
    Date first/last active.
    Date last comment/discussion.

I cant find any way of working out how many visits someones made? If anyone's familiar with the phpBB database and knows otherwise please let me know.

Main problem i've come across is that where phpBB has 3 levels (Category - Forum - Topic), vanilla has only 2 (Category - Discussion). Any suggestions of the best way to merge the two would be greatfully accepted. I assume i'll just have to collaps the phpBB categories and call Forums categories?
  • Category is not important. It has no repercusion.
  • phpbb -> vanilla

categories -> nothing
    forums -> categories
    topics - > topics

make sense?
  • yeah i figured that out a little later on cheers.

Can you get on irc or anything?
  • Guys i badly need access to a running phpBB instal. I've got most of what i need from the startup database but i cant see how things will go on a more complicated install without checking a few things out.

Outbreak?
  • yeah i can get you an install if you need. i dont know how to run IRC though, i never got into that. i have aim. any other way we could work this out?
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited June 2005
    minisweeper.... good luck with this... interesting thread!

i have a phpbb installation which is ok, but vanilla is so much cleaner/faster/simpler.

(if you want me to install a fresh phpbb forum for you to play with, please get me on msn/email.... quietjames@hotmail.com)
  • the PhpBB use a md5 encrypt method for the passwords... maybe this could be a problem... or not ?