HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking for feedback on "potential" PeregrineReactions plugin.

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited June 2013 in Feedback

I'm in the middle of writing a plugin with similar (but not exact) functionality to the reactions plugin on this forum for Vanilla 2.1 and above (only).

What reactions would you like? how many?

some ideas

best

• reaction 1 - lol (definitely)
  • reaction 2 - genius super superb brilliant
  • reaction 3 - wow
  • reaction 4 - best

then I'll tie it in with PeregrineBadges.

But I'm still hoping for monetary pledges from at least 10-15 people

so make some feedback and specify your pledge amount for a community plugin and interest. Note: I don't have a forum, so it would not be something I am developing for myself, it would be for the community . But, I figure if I donate my time (many,many hours, it's worth a pledge and donation from anyone who thinks they might have use for it.

if you want to post potential sprites and images for the "button" clicks and the reactions feel free.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Tagged:

Comments

• I'm back from a lot of time and, what a surprise! Great idea.
    I'd suggest...

reaction 5 - WTF?!?

• another...

reaction 6 - Epic fail!

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

Nice to see you are once again releasing a major gamification feature for the OS product :) . Of course, a way to display a user's reacted posts on their profile would be great.

For displaying reactions on posts, I currently use to make it hover only display; but visible on the first post.

.Comment .Reactions {
        visibility: hidden;
        margin-left: 0px;
        margin-top: 5px;
    }
    .Comment:hover .Reactions {
        visibility: visible;
    }

.Discussion .Reactions {
        margin-left: 0px;
        margin-top: 5px;
    }

So I hope it hooks into the same event as social reactions do.

On another note a reaction ( based on a permission ) something along the lines of "Quality Post"; that would reward more points, would be a nice feature.

Unfortunately, as the service which my community operates under is still in beta. Money is a bit tight, but if we have any to spare at the end of the project I would love to push something your way.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @candyman said:

I'm back from a lot of time and, what a surprise! Great idea. I'd suggest...

reaction 5 - WTF?!?

I'm going to forego negative reactions or reactions with negative connotations.

@Tama said:

Of course, a way to display a user's reacted posts on their profile would be great.

yes, In second release if not in the first.

So I hope it hooks into the same event as social reactions do.

glad you brought that up. I was able to view the googleplus icon without configuring (and it would co-exist fine), the twitter and facebook require conifiguration (and I use neither), but I assume they are displayed in similar fashion.

On another note a reaction ( based on a permission ) something along the lines of "Quality Post"; that would reward more points, would be a nice feature.

I'm debating about making all reactions enabled via role or individual reactions via role.

For displaying reactions on posts, I currently use to make it hover only display; but visible on the first post.

I'm thinking of always show. reaction buttons (but css tweaks like yours sound good).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I think just three reactions is good enough, I like lol but that would not include all people, haha is more universal no? Yes keep those negative reactions out of this ....good thinking :)

Haha=lol

wow=awesome

genius=insightful

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Till the full addon is commissioned, we can use Font Awseome resources as Sprites

Some examples - http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/#web-application

They are pixel perfected, can be stretched to any size without degradation(as they are essentially fonts) and have simple licensing requirements.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2013

Something like Insightful, Awesome, and LOL.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare said:

Insightful, Awesome, LOL

actually I like those the best:)

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

What about Troll?

• @Srggamer said:
    What about Troll?

I can always count on you for trolling. :)

@Srggamer said:
    What about Troll?

Don't even think about it !!!

Actually you can just add the font face with the fontdings into the plugin like I did with the marquee plugin. I made these examples of fonts and weddings

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder said

Actually you can just add the font face with the fontdings into the plugin like I did with the marquee plugin. I made these examples of fonts and weddings

this all foreign language to me.

help sir :) xplain to me stepper by stepper.

from wherefore and whence and in-between

no comprendo fontdink or faces

ting bu dong

je ikke forstaer du det.

It's basically the same idea as aery but instead of using a font service you could include the font files within the plugin. So the right font is used for the icon .

Check out the marquee plugin so you see what I mean, I included a whole slew of fonts to be used . You can include the webding or dingbat fonts which make the icons.

edited June 2013

here is a good resource for free fonts

http://cooltext.com/Fonts-Dingbats

http://www.1001freefonts.com

http://www.dingbatdepot.com

since these are fonts and use the keyboard letters geography you can use the pertaining letter in the html side of things

so instead of the source being the image sprite the source would be replace by the font

each reaction would have a letter based on the font , so say letter a is awesome, instead of an image

letter A= font-family: dingbats

Using fonts instead of images allows for easy color changes to the icons, as easy as changing the font color .

The css would regulate the colors and transitions

react:hover{color:red,font-size:18px;font-family:dingbats;}

react:focus{color:blue,font-size:16px;font-family:dingbats;}

reacting {color:yellow,font-size:16px;font-family:dingbats;}

reacted{color:purple,font-size:14px;font-family:dingbats;}

or whatever the name of the action will be called .This way you don't have to use css coordinates for an image sprite.Which is a pain and sometimes often does not work on everytheme so you need to fix it.

And people could also choose different dingbats if they want and all they do is upload the font file into the fonts folder of the plugin and then add the css part to match the font.

as you can see there are millions of dingbats

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited June 2013

Font Awesome looks pretty cool.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

edited June 2013

I think Font Fred is great !

These are good for making badges too and other crafty things :)

• thx for the feedback. I am officially throwing in the towel for this plugin at this point.

on to thinking about another one :) (that I may drop like a hot potato also :).

edited June 2013

Awe , down before being born :( How about a reactions array , using the existing ones from the existing plugins , the plugin would simply put the buttons for the other pluggins in a nice array plus an extra one the haha is needed.

So they would have to be using the other plugins for this to work since all it does is add one reaction haha, and put the others in a nice array on every post? kind of like the share daddy on WP