Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

submit comment creates new comment box, without submitting

Comments

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

oh, and im testing with multiple browsers, multiple devices...

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

So it seems to be tied to specific accounts.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

i believe it is something temporal. since i clear the browser cache this morning and now i can post.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

this is the second event of this nature this week. I need to get to the bottom of it before it happens again

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

well... this seems to be effecting different people at different times. i had one user report they had this issue earlier today, and i just got an email from a regular about 30 seconds ago saying he cant post on the site.

I cant afford to chase my tail. Someone who understand the jquery interaction really needs to give me some insight here. I'm lost.

i hate name dropping but i dont know what else to do at this point

@lincoln @tim

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

got this email from a long time supporter of my site

"Whatever. I'm going back to hbt. Their shit works. "

awesome.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

i just had someone switch over to firefox from chrome and that cleared the issue. it's got to be a jquery / javascript issue.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

well, i've restored the core application and JS content to a pre-18.8 backup. that seemed to fix the issue for at least one user who was kind enough to stick around and humor me through this nonsense.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

hopefully this is a lasting fix, and not just a phantom solution

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

FWIW - one of the symptoms of the issue was that the second jquery post was not being fired when I was seeing the issue. You would get the initial post with the discussion id, but the second one to comment2.json? was not firing.

But I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I put in a lot of energy trying to answer questions around here. But when I need help, it's pretty silent. I appreciate the effort from Underdog, HGTonight and Vrivlinder, you did what you could.

Sure, it's a bit presumptuous I guess, but it seems like if someone puts in a couple years somewhere, contributes content, support and ideas, not to mention server space and administration effort for a community requested wiki -- well. I think it should mean something to the senior staff.

• Options

Why don't you revert your cookie domain and 301 all requests to www. or vice versa? To me that sounds like the most painless solution.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@50sQuiff said:
    Why don't you revert your cookie domain and 301 all requests to www. or vice versa? To me that sounds like the most painless solution.

cookie domain was reverted long before i posted here for help. 301'ing the requests would make no difference, the issue occurs regardless of domain choice. It is/was a software issue with 18.8. I reverted back to an archived version of the software (not going to publicly disclose the version since it has known vulnerabilities) and now the issue appears to be gone.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

so I don't have to read all the discussions.
    can you summarize what you did. and what you have.

and what versions of vanilla, editor type and version, php, jquery, etc.

and what plugins are you using?

and do you run into the problem after these steps with out your editor plugin or using buttonbar.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

I'll check back another day after you post.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@peregrine said:
    so I don't have to read all the discussions.
    can you summarize what you did. and what you have.

and what versions of vanilla, editor type and version, php, jquery, etc.

and waht plugins are you using?

and do you run into the problem after these steps with out your editor plugin or using buttonbar.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

i cover nearly all of it in the discussion, but i'll recap.

the issue "appeared" to have started after modifying my cookie domain, although there have been intermittent moments where this comment box creation had happened prior, it had never been a persistent problem. a page refresh or two always cleared it up. As soon as I started seeing the persistent issue, I rolled back the cookie domain change. This seemed to do nothing really.

Following that I began looking elsewhere. I conveniently had a 100% vanilla installation of 18.8 on a subdomain. It had no plugins enabled and was using the default theme. It was a clean install, only one test discussion with a few posts. I tried posting on that site and received the same error.

I began watching the the jquery calls on the two effected sites and compared them to the calls on this site. you can read all of the details, but the summary is that on a successful post event, there are two distinct jquery events. In my error condition, i was only seeing the first call. the second call was never triggered.

I eventually passed out. In the morining i cleared my cache again and it started working fine for me. It has bee working fine for me since. However i've had 5 users report to me over the last week that this error condition has stricken them at one time or another and they were unble to post on the site that day.

My site content creation rates are plummeting. Regular users are finding the site hit or miss and starting to lose interest.

I'm looking at other platforms and working on the migration plans. I've already done a few test migrations -- im not excited about the results of those test migrations, or about the prospect of throwing away 2 years of plugin and theme development, so im still interested in fixing this.

• Options

got a link and a test username and password on for the fresh install site.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

it's in the thread.

test1.homebrewforums.net

it's a sporadic issue. I'm not seeing it at this time, and it seem to be somewhere around 1 in 20 users will have the problem in a given day, so it's pretty hard to identify.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

FYI, since this issue started to be a persistent problem, google traffic has reduced 25% and regular user visits have dropped by 50% on my site.

this may be a difficult to reproduce issue, but it's very, very real.

• Options

I wonder if its due to notifications and can you throttle it.

meanwhile I'll login.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

i dont see why notifications would be creating an issue all of a sudden.

Oh, important fact i left out of the synopsis, on my production site i rolled back the application content to my prior production install. that's the last thing i did and seemed to cut down the occurrence rate of the issue from roughly 90% to 10%. I believe it had something to do with a change in 18.8 and that i did not / could not clean everything up for some reason.

• Options

! can't find a login name or password in thread. pm it to me, please.