Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

submit comment creates new comment box, without submitting

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

I wonder if it has anything to do with your huge discussions:

:http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/1/tkt-no-holds-barred/p12452

page 12452

have you considered closing down huge discussions with 1000s of comments and starting new discussions

tkt-no-holds-barred closed see part2

tkt-no-holds-barred part2

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You host multiple sub domains?

Just a pet theory, but your request doesn't specify a subdomain.

Depending on how your server rules are set up to separate them, the request might be going to a different Vanilla install which is responding "properly" with a new comment form.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

www. and no subdomain are both handled with the same virtual host in apache. I usually log into the site without the www, other use www. the issue can happen in either case. I've had the virtual host definition set up and working this way for about 1 year without any issue.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@peregrine said:
    I wonder if it has anything to do with your huge discussions:

:http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/1/tkt-no-holds-barred/p12452

page 12452

have you considered closing down huge discussions with 1000s of comments and starting new discussions

tkt-no-holds-barred closed see part2

tkt-no-holds-barred part2

well, the issue can occur on any of the discussions on the board. The probability of it happening on that particular thread is higher since the probability of my posting there is highest.

However this raises the question, "Is there some sort of theoretical limit to the number of posts in a particular discussion before performance will suffer across the entire vanilla installation?"

• The Vanilla's post controller code between 2.0.18.8 and 2.1b2+ might have changed a lot. New posts are posted by AJAX to /vanilla/post/comment in 2.0.18.8 and to /vanilla/post/comment2.json in 2.1b2. Would you set up a 2.1b2 install on the same web server to see if this situational bug appears in that version?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@Shadowdare said:
    The Vanilla's post controller code between 2.0.18.8 and 2.1b2+ might have changed a lot. New posts are posted by AJAX to /vanilla/post/comment in 2.0.18.8 and to /vanilla/post/comment2.json in 2.1b2. Would you set up a 2.1b2 install on the same web server to see if this situational bug appears in that version?

im not sure the difference is that dramatic, both code bases make an initial call to post/comment then a second call to post/comment2

but regardless, your wish is my command.

http://test4.homebrewforums.net/

i haven't spent enough time posting on it to either confirm or deny the existence of this issue.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2013

I am sorry, I was completely oblivious to this. If that mention made it to my inbox, I missed it in the torrent of notifications I get in any given week. Why in the world didn't you PM or email me?

Am I correct in understanding this began when you changed the cookie domain and nothing else changed at that time? Can I see a copy of your virtual hosts config? Are you using caching? I think I saw APC in there - what's the timeout on its cache?

Does clearing your cache & cookies reliably end the problem (temporarily)?

Have you seen any Javascript errors thrown before this happens?

Try changing the version in index.php (just add an extra .1 on the end). That will forcibly clear everyone's cache.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited December 2013

@Lincoln said:
    I am sorry, I was completely oblivious to this. If that mention made it to my inbox, I missed it in the torrent of notifications I get in any given week. Why in the world didn't you PM or email me?

Am I correct in understanding this began when you changed the cookie domain and nothing else changed at that time? Can I see a copy of your virtual hosts config? Are you using caching? I think I saw APC in there - what's the timeout on its cache?

Does clearing your cache & cookies reliably end the problem (temporarily)?

Have you seen any Javascript errors thrown before this happens?

Try changing the version in index.php (just add an extra .1 on the end). That will forcibly clear everyone's cache.

thanks for the reply:

The issue became persistent when i changed the cookie domain - nothing else had changed (EDIT: i had upgraded the core software about 3 days prior to changing the cookie domain, by reverting the core software back to a prior version i was able to get back to a reasonably stable configuration). I had seen this odd behavior in the past, but it always cleared up with a page refresh or two, si it was not something i was worried about.

I will send you a copy of the sites file via PM. I'm not using any type of caching outside of APC, and its just set with the defaults.

Clearing cache and cookies does not reliably end the problem, I've had it work but usually it does nothing (except require me to log back in)

The javascript on the site has been pretty clean, no errors left uncorrected.

I tried installing 2.1b2 last night because it did not have this posting issue. However once i had users hit it this morning I found several serious issues with the code and have reverted back to my image from last night.

In the process I did uncover some php bugs in several different plugins i was using. I've been able to fix them in most cases. Most were pieces of code referencing variables that have not been set. My site is now running in debug mode, and showing no errors.

I've asked the users who have had the most trouble posting recently to log in today and try out the site. I'm hoping the problems have been resolved, however i'm not really counting on it. I can't roll with 2.1 though. It has a bug in the basic posting function "in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given", and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

@hbf does the sphinx plugin still work in 2.1? I'm gonna try to get it compatible with both 2.1 and 2.0

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@mcu_hq said:
    hbf does the sphinx plugin still work in 2.1? I'm gonna try to get it compatible with both 2.1 and 2.0

i wasnt able to get it to start searchd to start interactively and it gives me "Can't find configuration file at path: Not Detected" even though the config file hasnt changed or moved, but other than that and a few styling issues it seems to work.

you can see the aborted 2.1 installation at http://bak.homebrewforums.net

overall 2.0 seems to be working again.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

ah, alright. I've stripped all of the checks and dashboard admin stuft out of the plugin in newer versions to avoid the whole detection issues. I've finally installed 2.1b and will be testing it out.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I guess if everything's fine for now, leave it alone. If you can get one of your test installations to reproduce the bug reliably, give me an account and I'll try to track it down.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@Lincoln said:
    I guess if everything's fine for now, leave it alone. If you can get one of your test installations to reproduce the bug reliably, give me an account and I'll try to track it down.

Thanks. I'll notify you if I reproduce it.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Also, I'd be keen to know what bugs you uncovered in 2.1b2 if they haven't been reported yet on GitHub :D Thanks for giving it a shot, anyway.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

this from one of my users today.

"Sorry... I cannot post new threads... and I still cannot really reply on existing threads using chrome... Trying this from IE.... Hopefully it works... So yeah... Still experiencing problems on my end..."

And I still have no way to reproduce the issue.

• On which test site, domain, url does he have those problems? I think Lincoln needs to know his username.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2013

Does it happen to be IE 11 on Windows 8.1 and are you using cleditor?

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@UnderDog said:
    On which test site, domain, url does he have those problems? I think Lincoln needs to know his username.

his name is Mors and he is using the main production site.

@Lincoln said:
    Does it happen to be IE 11 on Windows 8.1 and are you using cleditor?

i'll have to check with him on OS / browser versions. no CLEditor on my site. standard editor with button bar.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

from the user:

I do not see any error messages. With the new post issue once I submit my thread it wants to >try and turn it into a poll. It copies the text I intended for the thread... puts it in a poll body >and then requires I enter a questions and answers or it won't submit. The post issue just keeps >making a million copies of my text in message boxes at the bottom of the thread. No matter >how many times I click post.

I'm using Windows 7. Chrome version 31.0.1650.63 m and IE version 11.0.9600.16476. This post >is brought to you by IE

PS I had to hit post twice for this to submit

based on this i shut off the discussion polls plugin. he retested and posted this.

When I tried to post a new topic using Chrome the page just reloaded after I hit submit... I hit submit again and it gave me a needs verification error. In IE it did the same initial reload but posted upon the second submittal.

PS all my posts seem to require these 2 submittals as well in IE... and I can't even post in Chrome

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I don't know what a "needs verification error" is.

Ask him to clear his cache. Is he getting any Javascript errors?