Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

404 File Not Found - On the Index Page!

Comments

• That's correct; a grid server.
    http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/

They're fairly good for the price.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Okay looks like I found the problem and made the fix in the Dev branch. This should be integrated back to master early next week.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @jbminn - Thanks for the offer, but I won't be able to make it to Defrag. I'm all over the place in November :/
  • edited November 2009
    anyone figure this out?

I have a fresh install on mediatemple grid server (installed last night) and I'm getting a 404 if I don't add the index.php to the end of the directory its in.

I'm on 2.0 Beta downloaded last night on github.
  • @mark no prob; next time. I'm sure we'll connect soon enough.
  • okay... I gave up and switched hosts.

Anyone looking to run Vanillia 2 should not use a Mediatemple Gridserver.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Wow - I'm sorry it had to come to that. I know @Todd has been trying to resolve this issue and he's even contacted the folks at mediatemple so he can set up a test server and sort out the issue.
  • @Mark
    No problem, I'm sure there will be a reasonable explanation as to why it seems to be doing that on (mt) gs hosting servers. I switched hosts and now have a copy of it running as it should. I've been involved in forums for many years, and love the new approach you're taking as its a nice fresh change from the same old stuff that's come out as of late.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    :D
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2009
    I actually canned my MT account after they told me that, as an older Grid customer, to get MySQL 5 (to run a dev copy of Vanilla) I would need to either cancel and reregister (thereby getting a newer Grid) or wait months for them to get around to moving me. Classy.
  • Hmm... I had a similar issue running Vanilla 2 for development locally using OS X 10.6.2's Apache and PHP 5.3.0 set-up — I could see index.php just fine, but for anything else I'd get a "404 not found." This URL would work:

http://localhost/~fred/forum2/index.php/activity

but this would 404:
    http://localhost/~fred/forum2/activity

I added a RewriteBase directive to the .htaccess and that resolved things for me. Worth a shot! My final .htaccess:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On RewriteBase /~fred/forum2/ RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [QSA,L] </IfModule>
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Good fix, thanks @FoxyFred. That's in every Wordpress .htaccess file too, of course. Didn't even occur to me to try that.
  • I wasn't able to get the RewriteBase working for me, so I tired to add this line to the top of my .htaccess and it works flawlessly.
    DirectoryIndex index.php/
  • I also have Media Temple Grid Service and MatthewAlan's solution above is all that is needed.
  • didnt work for me. I am able to get to the index page now but all threads give me 404 errors now. Im on dreamhost. If there is no solution how do I uncheck the vanilla rewrite option as I am unable to uncheck it in the UI now.
  • edited December 2009
    nevermind that uncheck part went into conf.php

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = FALSE;

still wondering why it doesnt like rewrite its probably a dreamhost thing.
  • Glad my fix worked for you!
  • I agree that RewriteBase is the key. If you've installed the forum in the root of your site then use:
    RewriteBase /

If the forum is in a subfolder, then

RewriteBase /subfolder/

You do have to be careful that when using Vanilla 2 in a subfolder you aren't messing with the rewriting for it in the site root too though (check the .htaccess in the site root to make sure that real directories are untouched).

Paul
  • edited January 2010
    I'm on mediatemple too, and I have (almost) the same problem.

the 404 page is not appearing anymore, and every wrong url brings to a Fatal Error (!!!!)
    here's the installation http://bsrappaz.fatbombers.com/v2/index.php/

and here's the htaccess
    [code]

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /v2/
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [QSA,L]

[/code]
    how could I bring back the 404 page?
    what's the correct (default) setting for the routes configuration?
  • Having trouble with DreamHost (or perhaps other hosts) with .htaccess or URL rewriting?

DreamHost's wiki suggests: "The FastCGI version when paired with Apache 2.2 doesn't seem to like the rewriterule index.php/$1. Instead it prefers index.php?$1 but some CMS don't like that."

Unfortunately, any combination of ? seems to short-circuit Vanilla 2 in its current form. The fastest fix? Swap from FastCGI to simple CGI.

See also: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Mod_rewrite#No_input_file_specified