Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[v0.2] phpBB Migrator

Comments

• Options

I would like to test the phpBB converter, if it's available anywhere.

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I don't know when I'll have time. Now that Vanilla is released I'm trying to focus all of my work-day hours to "work" (not counting posting this, of course :) and all of my spare time to wrapping up the documentation. Once the documentation is finished I'll get on the converter. I don't imagine it will take much longer than a day to complete.
  • Options
    epohs - if i still have the file you're more than welcome to a copy of it but depending how desperate you are its probably worth waiting for mark to release.
  • Options
    What does the converter consist of and how would I go about doing it? Would I need to set up a version of Vanilla parallel to my existing version of phpBB and then slide content/users from one to the other?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Markle: Yeah - that's sounds about right. Though, you'd only need the database of phpBB, not the entire application. So if you were thinking of setting up Vanilla on a different server, you could do a mysqldump of the phpBB database from your old server, then create a new copy of the phpBB database on the new server and re-insert everything from your mysqldump file. Then run this script that Mini wrote to copy over the relevant data. I would really like to take this task on myself, but my hands are quite full at the moment.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, and it's also worth noting that Vanilla tables are prefixed with "LUM_", so you can insert Vanilla into an existing database without any conflict.
  • Options
    It should be possible to access the old phpBB database remotely, provided you have enough access to grant access from hosts other than localhost. Note of course that if your database is particularly large the data transfer times will be quite sizeable.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I really wanted to make a script that functions similarly to the filebrowser's thumbnailer. Where it takes on the tables one-at-a-time and refreshes after each step of the process. I wanted to make a very basic template so that other importers could follow a similar process (and so I wouldn't have to write every single one). We'll see if I ever get a chance.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Wow - I didn't even realize that this thread had multiple pages. I love that "click to your last read comment" feature. *kisses self*
  • Options
    haha nice.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Posting to update the timestamp.
  • Options
    Yeah, though it wouldn't hurt to compare notes to save me some time. I'll play with mine a bit more first though, it's a learning experience
  • Options
    Ooooh, am I looking forward to the release of this. I set up phpBB a long time ago for a client and have been jonesing to replace it with something better for quite some time now.
  • Options
    heh I started working on something like this last night, and now I find that some ppl already started it. Mine is very specific though, as I just want to transfer topics and posts - already got the users and categories in, just have a little array that maps the userIDs and categoryIDs correctly. Last night I got as far as creating all the discussions - they had 0 posts, but at least the topics were there in the right categories, but not showing up in the right order. I saw some discussion earlier in this thread about passwords, not sure if that got resolved but I just copied over the encrypted passwords in the vanilla database and it works :) Patrix.
  • Options
    yeah patrix - thats cause vanilla used to use mysql's password function till mark realised it wasnt designed for passwords - now it uses the same as phpBB (md5) My migrator does all the data sets seperately so you could use it to transfer only the discussions and comments if you wanted to. You would have to use a link between the users though, so its probably easier to just do it your own way.
  • Options
    mattmatt ✭✭
    I'd like to see this
  • Options
    My converter is done. Anybody want the code? It's very rough, uncommented, and might not work at all for you, but it's something to work from :)
  • Options

epohs - if i still have the file you're more than welcome to a copy of it but depending how desperate you are its probably worth waiting for mark to release.

Oops, sorry minisweeper I didn't see this. I think I'll just wait until this becomes an extension. Thanks for the offer though.

• Options
    edited July 2005
    Ugh I just converted my board from Invision to phpBB a few months ago. Now this comes up and I'm already cheating on phpBB. Vanilla is awesome. Anyway, I had password problems before too. I think it's best to leave it off. Generate random passwords for people to retrieve or reset by email. I can't wait till the convertor really works. I would help except that I'm crap at programming. JErm - http://jermexpress.com
  • Options
    Oops my bad apparently password problem had been resolved. Great then. I'm enthused! JErm - http://jermexpress.com